+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Normal Processing Times from Calgary office?

APR2013APP

Feb 5, 2014
A family application is when you submit an application for each individual in your family but its all compiled in one package. it gets one file number and gets treated as one. the only difference is that the background checks on the adult applicants within the package are done separately and might take longer than single applicants in the early stages of checking (Sydney). That's as far as I know, anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.

SuperCitizen

Jun 19, 2014
I called CIC today and they said wait until Aug 12 to hear for test, It is not scheduled yet but looks like in pipeline.

Yes, I agree with a.R. there is no logic how files are moving. I asked the agent for difference between single and family application & She said there is no difference. Everything process in order which is not convincing from dates we are seeing.

Anyways, have to wait for few more weeks, at least now can start reading/listening the book.

a.R.

Star Member
Apr 9, 2014
APR2013APP - are background checks done in Sydney or Local office? If they are done in Sydney then LOT should be same for the whole application.

APR2013APP

Feb 5, 2014
Security checks are done in Sydney, and once they are done with all checks for all adults in the family package, they then transfer the file to the local office. But there is always a possibility that one adult security check takes longer than the other which causes the whole family to be delayed. Once the file is transferred to the local office, they have a limited time to process the application before the security checks expire.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Seems Sidney is initiating/running background checks close to LOT date not at/immediately after the 'In Process' date (which as per the spreadsheet can be as far forward as 8 months) else most of the applicants being called for test in the last few weeks would not be getting scheduled as their checks would need to be re-run.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
a.R. said:
So how long are these checks valid for?
12 months RCMP and FOSS, unknown for CSIS as blank on GCMS notes and is dependent on your profile but most applicants go with same 12 month validity. What is really the issue though is the CSIS check process - if it takes long then when obtained can fall out of sync with your other 2 checks and you can end up in a 'loop' where not all 3 checks are valid at the 2 most crucial crucial times i.e. test date and oath date so have to be re-run. Routine applicants at lengthy processing timeline Local CIC's and RQd/CJ referred applicants are most at risk of this 'expiry/re-run loop' occurring.

a.R.

Star Member
Apr 9, 2014
So even if Sydney runs these checks rights before transfer, one should anticipate oath dates to be under 12 months after LOT as checks will expire then. Right?? I'm guessing that's how the 9 month Test date from LOT comes from. Also, all of us need to keep in mind that Sydney decreased their processing time significantly so I can imagine Calgary's backlog increasing in the short term.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
a.R. said:
So even if Sydney runs these checks rights before transfer, one should anticipate oath dates to be under 12 months after LOT as checks will expire then. Right?? I'm guessing that's how the 9 month Test date from LOT comes from. Also, all of us need to keep in mind that Sydney decreased their processing time significantly so I can imagine Calgary's backlog increasing in the short term.
1. Running the checks just before LOT can be looked as either CIC doing say Calgary applicants a favor or giving themselves some head space to deal with capacity issues. Local CIC doesn't have a BFD/ check date linked to your checks expiry date. If by the time CIC decide to schedule a batch of applicants for testing/oath based on LOT and/or In Process and your checks are expired then too bad.

2. At this time there isn't a linear relationship between Sidney speeding up and Calgary speeding up. Again this points to capacity issues at Calgary. Lets see LOT date drop down significantly nearer to 'In Process' date and AB will start a downward trend in processing times rather than the current 3 times as long as GTA situation. Even then I don't see routine timelines in AB even when capacity is resolved dropping down to less than 12 months but there is always an exception.

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
a.R. said:
CanuckForEver - just wondering from your user name, did you initially apply from Vancouver and got the transferred to Calgary, once you moved?
Nope, applied from Calgary, stayed through out in Calgary.

a.R.

Star Member
Apr 9, 2014
Msafiri said:
1. Running the checks just before LOT can be looked as either CIC doing say Calgary applicants a favor or giving themselves some head space to deal with capacity issues. Local CIC doesn't have a BFD/ check date linked to your checks expiry date. If by the time CIC decide to schedule a batch of applicants for testing/oath based on LOT and/or In Process and your checks are expired then too bad.

2. At this time there isn't a linear relationship between Sidney speeding up and Calgary speeding up. Again this points to capacity issues at Calgary. Lets see LOT date drop down significantly nearer to 'In Process' date and AB will start a downward trend in processing times rather than the current 3 times as long as GTA situation. Even then I don't see routine timelines in AB even when capacity is resolved dropping down to less than 12 months but there is always an exception.
This is a typical catch 22, will be a nightmare for Calgary Applicants.

a.R.

Star Member
Apr 9, 2014
CanuckForEver said:
Nope, applied from Calgary, stayed through out in Calgary.
Oh serious, we've got a cunuck fan amongst us Calgarians. Think I have an issue with that.

Just messing with you, I'm an Oilers fan myself.