+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Policy for International Students - April 12th, 2021

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
Considering we know that applicants wont be able to apply for BOWP, do we expect IRCC to be upfront about the processing times? Apparently some CEC applications are taking as little as 4 months currently, would processing this eat into that processing capacity? If not, where are the extra processing officers going to get pulled from?

Also, It is ironic how the IRCC have not released specifications for this program but the social media team has given away very important details from people asking questions. I wonder why they wont just update the policy so the SM team can deal with providing interpretations of the rules to people as needed.
Here's my theory (I'M JUST SPECULATING, TAKE THIS WITH A SPOON OF SALT): other similar programs such as PNP or the AIPP let you either apply for a BOWP or give you a work permit support letter which allows you to continue working for your current employer until you get PR. If this program doesn't, that means either that they're going to leave thousands of applicants in an immigration limbo, on their own or that they expect short processing times.

It's sounds unlike IRCC to leave people stranded, especially after having helped quite a bit during covid with the PGWP extensions and the visitor to work permit policies. It just doesn't add up. CEC processing times are around 8 months right now because for some reason, at the beginning of the pandemic they "stopped" processing applications and when they resumed processing normally the newer applications and backlogged ones mixed.

So if you stop by the CEC forum you'll see January/February 2021 applicants with simple applications that got COPR in 3-4 months and people from January 2020 still waiting. Current applicants with simple applications have shorter processing times than applicants from 2020.

For this stream, rumours say around 6 months but the requirements are so ridiculous I can't see eligibility section lasting more than 1 or 2 weeks.

hhzara

Star Member
May 11, 2020
See below CICnews FAQ for this program (https://www.cicnews.com/2021/04/faq-new-pr-streams-for-essential-workers-international-student-graduates-in-canada-0417879.html#gs.z6neb3).

Are medicals required upfront with the application system?
IRCC is currently trying to extend medicals as much as possible during COVID-19 for those in Canada.

For this group, they will be dividing people into two groups: people who have never done medical and people who have done medical. Those who have done medical should provide proof. It is not yet known how old the medical can be. If you can access an Upfront Medical, you may wish to do so nonetheless.
I last did my medical in 2017, I can't remember if I still have those papers. I'll start looking for them. I feel like I'm going to have to write a large letter of explanation with this application!

altay412

Apr 21, 2021
I've been following the thread since the beginning and I had a question for you guys that I'm not sure of (and can't reach IRCC). I currently have 2 restaurant jobs but since the indoor eating ban in BC I haven't been getting any shifts since late March and it'll be like this for 5 more weeks. I'm not officially laid off, just don't have any shifts and I'm getting CRB. Would this be a problem when applying? Because it says "employed" and I am employed by 2 different places and not being able to get any shifts is not my fault, it is because of the restrictions, and it's temporary. I can provide proof of employment and my most recent pay stubs.
Any idea anyone?

Tomican

Feb 20, 2020
Looser than the CEC draw in February where the cut off was 75?

I agree this is all getting ridiculous, but the pandemic is a huge factor in all this. Were it not for COVID, we would probably still be having the all program draws with the cut off being somewhere in the 470s.
CEC is (EE) for the whole world who wants to move to Canada.
This new-pathway is for those who is legally working in Canada ONLY.

*CIC must has the statistics.

Last edited:

sharmi143

Star Member
Nov 2, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
NOC B
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Would anyone happen to know how we could add our kids to our application whos already born in Canada and is Canadian citizenship?

Mae.Will

Star Member
Mar 30, 2021
Could you please guide me how can I do an upfront medical exam in Toronto? Do you know which Drs are doing that?

altay412

Apr 21, 2021
They could ask for paystubs... in that case, can you provide a copy of them?
I can provide a copy but they're not recent since they stopped paying me after the end of March. I can provide my proof of employment, previous pay stubs, and a letter explaining my situation both from my employers and myself indicating it is due to covid and not a voluntary leave.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
I can provide a copy but they're not recent since they stopped paying me after the end of March. I can provide my proof of employment, previous pay stubs, and a letter explaining my situation both from my employers and myself indicating it is due to covid and not a voluntary leave.
IRCC hasn't come up with detailed info concerning situations like yours. I believe we will have to wait and see. According to employment standards, a lay-off is considered a break from employment. Not sure how IRCC sees that.

Reactions: altay412

John080490

Jan 23, 2019
No, it won't affect. If you read the requirements in the link below, it says you have to be employed "at the time of the application". So I believe they don't care if you move to another job as long as you were employed when applying.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/public-policies/trpr-international-graduates.html
Thank you. I think as long as the applicant is employed, then he/she will be fine.