+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Policy for International Students - April 12th, 2021

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
OIPN requires a valid job OFFER. You get an offer from a qualified employer saying they are offering you a one year position. 3 months in, you microwave tuna in the break room too many times and get fired. Your application still goes through. I just checked the site again. They don't say that when you are nominated you have to be still employed or that when your PR card comes, we check to see if you're employed at the same place before we issue it to you.
Have you applied to OINP recently? Because I have and the most basic requirement is to have a permanent job offer. I'm attaching an extract of my nomination certificate:

We are pleased to inform you that your application for a certificate of nomination under
the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (the “OINP”) has been granted by the director
appointed under the Ontario Immigration Act, 2015, S.O. 2015, c. 8 (the “Act”), subject
to the following conditions and/or restrictions:

1. You must continue to demonstrate on a reasonable basis an intention to reside in
Ontario.

2. You must be employed in the approved employment position as of the date of

your nomination, if you are already working for the employer; or on the date you
obtain a work permit and begin working in the approved employment position, if
you are not already working for the employer.

3. You must continue to be employed in the approved employment position during
the nomination period (i.e. until you receive permanent residence). This means
that your terms of employment must remain consistent throughout the nomination

period.

barefoot00

Apr 15, 2021
Have you applied to OINP recently? Because I have and the most basic requirement is to have a permanent job offer. I'm attaching an extract of my nomination certificate:

We are pleased to inform you that your application for a certificate of nomination under
the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (the “OINP”) has been granted by the director
appointed under the Ontario Immigration Act, 2015, S.O. 2015, c. 8 (the “Act”), subject

1. You must continue to demonstrate on a reasonable basis an intention to reside in
Ontario.

your nomination, if you are already working for the employer; or on the date you

period.
Okay I wasn't aware of that but that doesn't change anything about this program. If they say it so clearly in other programs where it's required, then why didn't they mention it here?

hhzara

Star Member
May 11, 2020

Ontario.

period.
What stream of the OINP is this for?

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Okay I wasn't aware of that but that doesn't change anything about this program. If they say it so clearly in other programs where it's required, then why didn't they mention it here?
IRCC hasn't clearly mentioned a lot of things.
We will have to wait and see.

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
What stream of the OINP is this for?
International student, you need a job offer to apply. But then you also need to stay in that job until you get PR which right now takes on average 22 months.

Many immigration programs are backed by job offers and require you to have one to be eligible and keep the job until you get PR, why would this one be different?

IRCC hasn’t given many details so we’re only speculating. But I’d love to know of any job offer based program that requires you to have a job offer to apply but not to get PR.

Even in EE they require your job offer to be valid 1 year after getting PR to be considered for the 50-200 point boost.

Last edited:

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Many immigration programs are backed by job offers and require you to have one to be eligible and keep the job until you get PR, why would this one be different?
I agree, for example, why would they ask an applicant to be employed ?
People who graduated, or were essential workers need to be employed. Even temporary layoff won't count, as per many lawyers.
It doesn't make sense, we will have to wait and see till IRCC puts out the forms and gives clearly eligibility details.

Reactions: hhzara

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Because this one is not advertised as being dependent on a specific job offer (where the employer offers you a job in specific duration of, say, one year). All they said is "be employed at the time of application".

hhzara

Star Member
May 11, 2020
International student, you need a job offer to apply. But then you also need to stay in that job until you get PR which right now takes on average 22 months.

[/QUOTE]
Just looked it up, it clearly says Employer Job Offer so I can understand the requirement to remain employed.

This pathway doesn't mention NOC codes or offers or anything, just be employed. That's why I'm hoping we will just need to be employed on the 6th of May.

The lawyer did mention the guidelines haven't been written yet, so time will tell.

Elias_Andvari

Star Member
May 19, 2018
I agree with you on that a one, being employed at the time of approval can't be a requirement. There are tons of people who are employed on a temporary position with a set expiry date on their contract. A lot of contracts are given for one year only, some might get extended beyond that but current employment papers would not necessarily show that. So technically there is a whole category of people who will be applying with, let's say, 3-4 months left before their current contracts officially expire (and i doubt the processing time for this stream would be anything < 6+ months).

IRCC mentions nothing about holding a permanent position and they for sure would have if that was a requirement. They are pretty aware that if in the future the pandemic causes an even greater delay in processing times and a bigger backlog of applications, a lot of people would automatically and unprecedentedly become ineligible.

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
Right now we only know bits and pieces of the eligibility requirements, but I’m more concerned about processing times and the work permit issue.

If this program doesn’t give access to a BOWP, or a LMIA-free closed work permit and processing times are long, how are applicants supposed to continue working?

Many employers won’t go through the LMIA process...

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Good point, @Frisk

By a definition, we are temporary workers and cannot have permanent contracts or permanent residence in Canada. This is what we're applying for! So how can they expect us to be in Canada in 2+ years, still working, without giving bridge permits? No idea.

Reactions: rambag98

hhzara

Star Member
May 11, 2020
Good point, @Frisk

By a definition, we are temporary workers and cannot have permanent contracts or permanent residence in Canada. This is what we're applying for! So how can they expect us to be in Canada in 2+ years, still working, without giving bridge permits? No idea.
I'm starting to think that with all these hurdles, the applications might not fill up so quickly. Maybe that's why they have Nov 5 as a deadline.

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
I'm starting to think that with all these hurdles, the applications might not fill up so quickly. Maybe that's why they have Nov 5 as a deadline.
IRCC should consider giving some information before opening the stream, because the day it opens there will be technical difficulties and people who are eligible (or think they are) will panic and submit their applications first and read the program requirements afterwards. I'm starting to consider waiting a couple weeks and apply for CEC instead since it's seems the "safer" route. The only thing that prevents me from doing that is the fact that FSW draws could resume anytime and I can't compete with that.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
IRCC should consider giving some information before opening the stream, because the day it opens there will be technical difficulties and people who are eligible (or think they are) will panic and submit their applications first and read the program requirements afterwards. I'm starting to consider waiting a couple weeks and apply for CEC instead since it's seems the "safer" route. The only thing that prevents me from doing that is the fact that FSW draws could resume anytime and I can't compete with that.
Agree 100%, they should go through the requirements in detail and explain everything. If they don't, honestly people who aren't eligible will end up applying which leaves no spots for others.