+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Policy for International Students - April 12th, 2021

Anya833

Star Member
Jul 5, 2020
Simple reason: to meet the annual quota
I'm 90% sure that they wont draw FSW at least until 2022
I also agree with that, they are focused on us, inland immigrants who are currently in the country, working, paying taxes. And this new stream wont give them a lot of new PR's, just look how slow the essential worker's stream is filling up, lots of people don't have their 1 year of work experiences in or their job is not eligible. I think out of these 90.000 they will pick out maybe only around 50.000 actual eligible candidates. There are probably around 300 to 400.000 thousand former, recent international graduates in Canada at this point that are actually eligible for international graduate stream, if they would just pick that, they would already reach their annual quota. The problem would be year 2022 and 2023 if the borders remain closed.

Reactions: SatNight

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
I think FSW won’t open again as we know it, I think that the next draw that includes FSW will implement some of the changes they mentioned in the budget 2021.

Not a big deal, EE’s way to rank candidates changes once in a while, the most recent change was giving more additional points to French speakers, which boosted cutoff scores a bit.

trymybest

Feb 11, 2020
You haven’t done your medical yet? You were supposed to do it before you apply, the panel physician will give you a paper with your IME number on it
the eligibility says as long as I have medical the medical check-up. the recipt sho
You haven’t done your medical yet? You were supposed to do it before you apply, the panel physician will give you a paper with your IME number on it
I just did. Do i have to upload the result online or the clinic will send it automatically? If yes, where to upload it?

trymybest

Feb 11, 2020
if you already have the medical booked, might as well just take it and see it to them via web form once you have your AOR. If you want to take it at a later date that is fine as well because your application is already submitted. Either way is fine.

You cannot create an IME or UMI numberThey are created by IRCC or the physician.
I just did. Do i have to upload the result online or the clinic will send it automatically? If yes, where to upload it?

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I think FSW won’t open again as we know it, I think that the next draw that includes FSW will implement some of the changes they mentioned in the budget 2021.

Not a big deal, EE’s way to rank candidates changes once in a while, the most recent change was giving more additional points to French speakers, which boosted cutoff scores a bit.
I agree. Are there even hints/rumours about what these changes may be?

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Hey, I'd love if you're right about the last part!

But keep in mind that many applicants include family members. Even if half of those 40 000 are ineligible applications, I feel they have a good chance to fulfil the quota they set up for this stream. (Although, naturally, I would prefer to be wrong about this and that you are right!)

Anya833

Star Member
Jul 5, 2020
Hey, I'd love if you're right about the last part!

But keep in mind that many applicants include family members. Even if half of those 40 000 are ineligible applications, I feel they have a good chance to fulfil the quota they set up for this stream. (Although, naturally, I would prefer to be wrong about this and that you are right!)
They have to do something, either CEC points will get even lower than now or they will re-open this graduate program or something similar, there are still many of us in the country that are on PGWP and are working and want to get PR's.

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
I agree. Are there even hints/rumours about what these changes may be?
On the FSW thread there’s more info, based on the budget they speculate women will get additional points (since most new immigrants are single men) and that it’ll be more like OINP’s new system.

For example, on the OINP job-offer streams you only needed to meet the job requirements and apply.

With the new system you are ranked depending on your wage, field of studies, field of work experience, etc.

The way I could see this implemented is ranking candidates by NOC on EE, at the moment it doesn’t matter if you have a bachelor’s on philosophy or engineering, you’ll get the same points based on your ECA.

This might change to address labour shortages.

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
They have to do something, either CEC points will get even lower than now or they will re-open this graduate program or something similar, there are still many of us in the country that are on PGWP and are working and want to get PR's.
I think they’re replicating the 75p draw but not at once, instead they’re sending invites on a regular schedule but with decreasing cutoff scores.

Many 2020 graduates will be meeting CEC requirements during summer, if not...They’ll either have to open FSW draws, lower CEC entry criteria (for example, 6 months of work experience rather than 12) or extend TR to PR programs.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
On the FSW thread there’s more info, based on the budget they speculate women will get additional points (since most new immigrants are single men) and that it’ll be more like OINP’s new system.

For example, on the OINP job-offer streams you only needed to meet the job requirements and apply.

With the new system you are ranked depending on your wage, field of studies, field of work experience, etc.

The way I could see this implemented is ranking candidates by NOC on EE, at the moment it doesn’t matter if you have a bachelor’s on philosophy or engineering, you’ll get the same points based on your ECA.

This might change to address labour shortages.
Well, my wife is a woman and the principal applicant. Her NOC is 4011 (University professors and lecturers). I hope the field of expertise doesn't matter for this NOC, since she is much closer to philosophy than engineering!

(Unless they are looking for philosophers. The whole Covid-19 thing has triggered a serious existential crisis. Someone has to deal with that! ;) )

I will look into OINP; I don't know anything about it.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I hope so, too! So you and my wife can apply.

Reactions: Anya833

Anya833

Star Member
Jul 5, 2020
I think they’re replicating the 75p draw but not at once, instead they’re sending invites on a regular schedule but with decreasing cutoff scores.

Many 2020 graduates will be meeting CEC requirements during summer, if not...They’ll either have to open FSW draws, lower CEC entry criteria (for example, 6 months of work experience rather than 12) or extend TR to PR programs.

I read somewhere that Medicino mentioned that they may double the points in CEC stream for 1 year of work in Canada in the right NOC profession that is for CEC. They could lowe again points in CEC to 75 in the next 6 months who knows. I'll gather all the documents now in the next month, from medical to PCC and photo...I want to be ready this time.

ange1o

Star Member
Sep 21, 2017
just submit work permit or study permit, as stated "To prove your status in Canada you must submit a copy of your most recent immigration document such as work permit, or study permit."
Thanks. I've seen this in the guide. Permits are to show status. I think I'm going to add more documents to prove entry since the guide also said "you will need to prove that you ... are living in Canada when you submit your application and when IRCC makes a final decision on your application."

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Thanks. I've seen this in the guide. Permits are to show status. I think I'm going to add more documents to prove entry since the guide also said "you will need to prove that you ... are living in Canada when you submit your application and when IRCC makes a final decision on your application."
Add a utility bill or something. Can't hurt. If they don't care about it, they can just throw it away.