+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Immigrants with Expired US DL (Exchange of License)

jalc03

Star Member
Nov 12, 2020
Just an update to everyone with a similar situation. I was able to get my expired US license exchanged for the paper one(The real one will be mailed to me after a few weeks) at the Mississauga Drivetest centre. The process was smooth with no questions asked despite my 1 year since US DL expiry date deadline being less than a week away at the time of my going to the Drivetest centre. Only documents needed are your expired DL, COPR, Passport and the certified extract from the US state/states you were licensed in. You have to do an eye test and then you are photographed at the centre. The entire process took all of 10-15 minutes or so.
Hi there, I'm not quite sure how to request the certified extract, can u kindly provide a link that you used? I have a document from Maryland MVA, but I'm not quite sure if its the correct document

rockermog

Jul 15, 2017
Recently got the US drivers license exchanged in Ontario. My experience - I was in US on and off and the latest license had an experience for only 9 months so I was issued a G2 (less than 2 yrs experience). The prior US license which had expired in 2018 (total of 4 yrs of driving experience) was not considered. The agent mentioned I had to have 2 years of continuous US license without break to get a G (Had Indian driving extract as well from 2018 - 2020). Not sure if the condition of continuous experience is true, didn't read it anywhere. Anyways something to drive as of now.

destornillador

May 22, 2018
AOR Received.
18-05-2018
Recently got the US drivers license exchanged in Ontario. My experience - I was in US on and off and the latest license had an experience for only 9 months so I was issued a G2 (less than 2 yrs experience). The prior US license which had expired in 2018 (total of 4 yrs of driving experience) was not considered. The agent mentioned I had to have 2 years of continuous US license without break to get a G (Had Indian driving extract as well from 2018 - 2020). Not sure if the condition of continuous experience is true, didn't read it anywhere. Anyways something to drive as of now.
I think you were just unlucky with the agent. There is no such requirement, but interestingly when I was exchanging back in Feb 2019, my US DL was valid from Sep 2018 to Sep 2021, they asked me to show my previous license as well (Sep 2012 to 2015), which I fortunately had (it was partially cut due to renewal in 2018, but Ontario agent accepted it). They also saw my DL history record from the US state my license was issued, and the credit card statement with the charge to get the record (for some weird reason). Hope this helps someone.

Reactions: rockermog

him0609

May 27, 2022
Hi,

I am moving to Toronto on July 19th from India. Previously, I have stayed in USA and my Indiana DL got expired in June 2020, and post that I could never visit there.

Can I get the driving experience credits for that, while I apply for DL category in USA? If not, what can be done to skip the whole process of going through different driving exams?

Thank you in advance.

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022
Hi,

I am moving to Toronto on July 19th from India. Previously, I have stayed in USA and my Indiana DL got expired in June 2020, and post that I could never visit there.

Can I get the driving experience credits for that, while I apply for DL category in USA? If not, what can be done to skip the whole process of going through different driving exams?

Thank you in advance.
Expired license which was recently active (i.e . Expired within a year or a few months was ok. I am not sure if they will accept 2 year expired license . Mine expired in June 2020 , I got the extract in Sep 2020 when i moved to canada and directly got my G )

Reactions: him0609