+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Immigrants with Expired US DL (Exchange of License)

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022
Hello guys which location in GTA is accepting walkins? I am also checking their websites and calling them while I wait for your response

Thanks

sagarp20

Jan 25, 2020
Guys, does our DL record have any validity? I am planning to move to Toronto in March-April, can I apply for my DL record now?

Another question - I had a CA DL of validity Nov 2017 to May 2022, but then I moved to Washington and got a new DL of validity Nov 2020 to May 2026. Will it cause any issue?

arav.sam

Oct 24, 2017

Mumbai2Canada

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019
Has anyone been able to do this recently? I have finally managed to land in Canada this month and my US license had expired on Feb 10 2020 so the 1 year expiry clause mentioned on the Drivetest website(for allowing exchanges) will end on Feb 10 2021. Will I be able to get the expired US license exhanged for a full G Ontario DL without any issues? I have the extract from the US state. I know people have managed to exchange their expired US license where the expiry was just a couple of months prior to their visit or so but wasn't sure if a case like mine where I am closing in on a year since the US license expired has had success.

I have tried calling the Drivetest centres but it just goes into a lot of automated messages with no one picking up.

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022
I went to the Drive Test in Mississauga and was able to get my license changed (expired US license ) without any issues. I never called or anything just walked in. This was in Sep 2020

Mumbai2Canada

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019
Just an update to everyone with a similar situation. I was able to get my expired US license exchanged for the paper one(The real one will be mailed to me after a few weeks) at the Mississauga Drivetest centre. The process was smooth with no questions asked despite my 1 year since US DL expiry date deadline being less than a week away at the time of my going to the Drivetest centre. Only documents needed are your expired DL, COPR, Passport and the certified extract from the US state/states you were licensed in. You have to do an eye test and then you are photographed at the centre. The entire process took all of 10-15 minutes or so.

Reactions: red_rom

Midget

Star Member
Jul 23, 2020
Just an update to everyone with a similar situation. I was able to get my expired US license exchanged for the paper one(The real one will be mailed to me after a few weeks) at the Mississauga Drivetest centre. The process was smooth with no questions asked despite my 1 year since US DL expiry date deadline being less than a week away at the time of my going to the Drivetest centre. Only documents needed are your expired DL, COPR, Passport and the certified extract from the US state/states you were licensed in. You have to do an eye test and then you are photographed at the centre. The entire process took all of 10-15 minutes or so.
Hi, I am in a similar situation. I need to take driving history extract from North Carolina DMV, they provide options of non certified complete driving history (instantly downloadable) and certified driving history (which they will mail to an US address). WIll that instantly downloadable driving history be valid to submit? Would you mind telling me what is COPR?

Mumbai2Canada

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019
Hi, I am in a similar situation. I need to take driving history extract from North Carolina DMV, they provide options of non certified complete driving history (instantly downloadable) and certified driving history (which they will mail to an US address). WIll that instantly downloadable driving history be valid to submit? Would you mind telling me what is COPR?
COPR is the confirmation of perminent residency document. It is treated as the proof of residency till the actual PR card is received.

You could check their website https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/licence-exchanges-cars-small-trucks-and-vans.html to see what requirements are there for North Carolina. I believe the extract is not mandatory for some states(i think North Carolina is one or them though I am not sure).They do prefer that you bring it anyway to reduce their work of verifying the US license credentials. Non certified might work in this case but it would be best to call them and confirm on it.

Reactions: Midget

vicky0143

Feb 26, 2020
United States
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-12-2019
Nomination.....
21-05-2020
AOR Received.
27-06-2020
Med's Done....
11-08-2020
Hi, I live in Iowa. My most recently issued DL has an issue date of October 2020 with expiry in May 2021. My driving experience is since Dec 2018 in Iowa. But the IOWA Driving record only shows the recently issued DL info which is issue date of Oct 2020 and onwards. How can I get my driving experience before Oct 2020 to be listed on the driving record?

Midget

Star Member
Jul 23, 2020
COPR is the confirmation of perminent residency document. It is treated as the proof of residency till the actual PR card is received.

You could check their website https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/licence-exchanges-cars-small-trucks-and-vans.html to see what requirements are there for North Carolina. I believe the extract is not mandatory for some states(i think North Carolina is one or them though I am not sure).They do prefer that you bring it anyway to reduce their work of verifying the US license credentials. Non certified might work in this case but it would be best to call them and confirm on it.
Hi , did they allow walk-in or you had to take an appointment?

Midget

Star Member
Jul 23, 2020
Yes, I walked in to the Drivetest centre early in the morning around the time they opened and was out in about 15 minutes or so
Thanks , I went this morning and got my NC DL exchanged, the DL class shows G***, I was wondering what could that mean? By any chance, do you know? I was assuming number of stars (suffixed post 'G') mean number of years of driving exp. and it is a full G. I could be mistaken as well.

Mumbai2Canada

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019
Thanks , I went this morning and got my NC DL exchanged, the DL class shows G***, I was wondering what could that mean? By any chance, do you know? I was assuming number of stars (suffixed post 'G') mean number of years of driving exp. and it is a full G. I could be mistaken as well.
Mine has the same. I don't think the * has any significance. It probably is a placeholder within their system for G1 and G2 licenses but since it is a full G, they just mark it as *. I would not worry about it. Congrats on getting your license exchanged for a full G license !

Reactions: Midget

Midget

Star Member
Jul 23, 2020
Hi, I live in Iowa. My most recently issued DL has an issue date of October 2020 with expiry in May 2021. My driving experience is since Dec 2018 in Iowa. But the IOWA Driving record only shows the recently issued DL info which is issue date of Oct 2020 and onwards. How can I get my driving experience before Oct 2020 to be listed on the driving record?

I was able to exchange my NC DL with just the instantly downloaded non certified driving extract from NC DMV.. thanks much for your heads up. :)