+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Immigrants with Expired US DL (Exchange of License)

arc_1090

Star Member
Sep 4, 2015
Hello All,

I just landed in Toronto and wanted to share my experience as far as the driving license (Exchange with expired US License) went, as I was not able to get a clear answer until I went to the Service Ontario Personally.
Those who have a US Driving license which is expired under *ONE YEAR* most likely are eligible to get a G class directly (without any test), provided they have the driving records from the all of the states that they had license from (yes, they do check all the dates for continuity).
Please also ensure that all the records clearly show the license issue date as well (as these records will be checked in detail OR you will be asked to show that detail in the record, if they don't see it).
As for as the original license card is considered, you can carry the latest (or the last one you had) with you and that should be enough, although I would suggest carry all the other ones as well, if not taken by the succeeding DMV (Just incase if asked).
Once you provide the records and the license card, they will verify passport and give you a full G license (no tests required).

Please note that this is specifically with the Ontario license (In Toronto, specifically, College park location). I am not sure if its the same in other Ontario locations, but if it is so in one office, I would assume it to be in the other offices too.
Hope this helps :)

Goodluck!!

amodmallya

Star Member
May 3, 2016
Hamilton, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
24-04-2016
AOR Received.
26-04-2016
Passport Req..
18-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2016
LANDED..........
26-11-2016
arc_1090 said:
Hello All,

I just landed in Toronto and wanted to share my experience as far as the driving license (Exchange with expired US License) went, as I was not able to get a clear answer until I went to the Service Ontario Personally.
Those who have a US Driving license which is expired under *ONE YEAR* most likely are eligible to get a G class directly (without any test), provided they have the driving records from the all of the states that they had license from (yes, they do check all the dates for continuity).
Please also ensure that all the records clearly show the license issue date as well (as these records will be checked in detail OR you will be asked to show that detail in the record, if they don't see it).
As for as the original license card is considered, you can carry the latest (or the last one you had) with you and that should be enough, although I would suggest carry all the other ones as well, if not taken by the succeeding DMV (Just incase if asked).
Once you provide the records and the license card, they will verify passport and give you a full G license (no tests required).

Please note that this is specifically with the Ontario license (In Toronto, specifically, College park location). I am not sure if its the same in other Ontario locations, but if it is so in one office, I would assume it to be in the other offices too.

Goodluck!!
Thank you so very much for this. I know my license is going to expire before i move to Canada. And I was really concerned about having to go through the entire process from scratch. If i move in June 2017, i will have about 18 Months of history on the permanent license.

Do you know if they check how long you have driven or how long you have driven on a permanent license. I have about a year and a half on a learners( just felt like practicing more or was just lazy.. you decide) and passed the test in november 2015.

Thanks,

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
amodmallya said:
Thank you so very much for this. I know my license is going to expire before i move to Canada. And I was really concerned about having to go through the entire process from scratch. If i move in June 2017, i will have about 18 Months of history on the permanent license.

Do you know if they check how long you have driven or how long you have driven on a permanent license. I have about a year and a half on a learners( just felt like practicing more or was just lazy.. you decide) and passed the test in november 2015.

Thanks,
Assuming you are moving to Ontario, I believe to qualify for the full G2 license, you have to prove at least 2 years of driving experience. Also, you will want to make sure your country is eligible for license exchange. You can go to the service ontario website to look at the requirements. it's pretty easy to follow.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence

amodmallya

Star Member
May 3, 2016
Hamilton, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
24-04-2016
AOR Received.
26-04-2016
Passport Req..
18-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2016
LANDED..........
26-11-2016
CDNPR2014 said:
Assuming you are moving to Ontario, I believe to qualify for the full G2 license, you have to prove at least 2 years of driving experience. Also, you will want to make sure your country is eligible for license exchange. You can go to the service ontario website to look at the requirements. it's pretty easy to follow.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence
I will be moving from Texas, US to GTA. I think my Texas license should be eligible for license exchange. I have over 2 years of driving experience, just not 2 years of driving experience on a permanent license.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
amodmallya said:
I will be moving from Texas, US to GTA. I think my Texas license should be eligible for license exchange. I have over 2 years of driving experience, just not 2 years of driving experience on a permanent license.
yes, us licenses are exchangable. click on the link posted above to see what you need to do to exchange. to prove 2 years driving experience you will need to get your driving history from texas. it's a pretty easy process.

amodmallya

Star Member
May 3, 2016
Hamilton, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
24-04-2016
AOR Received.
26-04-2016
Passport Req..
18-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2016
LANDED..........
26-11-2016
CDNPR2014 said:
yes, us licenses are exchangable. click on the link posted above to see what you need to do to exchange. to prove 2 years driving experience you will need to get your driving history from texas. it's a pretty easy process.
Hey do you know what kind of driving record extract we need to take with us to qualify for the exchange program?

arc_1090

Star Member
Sep 4, 2015
amodmallya said:
Hey do you know what kind of driving record extract we need to take with us to qualify for the exchange program?
I think you need two years of record on Permanent licence not including Learners. But try sending them an email to confirm. They usually reply within 15 days.
They usually ask for certified driving record from your DMV.
I had got from different states from their respective websites.

The link posted by OP has all the information as far as the process and documentation is concerned.

destornillador

May 22, 2018
AOR Received.
18-05-2018
Is there any official documentation on exchanging an expired (<1 year) US driver's license in Ontario? Also, if I've driving history of 6 years from one state, currently, do I still need to get records from previous US states I've had a license from?

https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence#section-1

An out-of-province/foreign driver’s licence needs to:
  • be valid
  • display a visible expiry date
  • be written in either English or French. If it is not, you need to get it translated by a certified translator. The translation must be current – dated within six months of when you apply for an Ontario licence

Last edited:

mastiff78

May 8, 2018
What date do they use to consider 2 years prior driving experience? From the date you visit Service Ontario for the exchange or the landed date? For instance, if one has driving license with about 1 1/2 experience and waits out 6 more months to exchange, will it be considered as 2 years?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
What date do they use to consider 2 years prior driving experience? From the date you visit Service Ontario for the exchange or the landed date? For instance, if one has driving license with about 1 1/2 experience and waits out 6 more months to exchange, will it be considered as 2 years?
The date you visit them will be considered. Lot of people do soft landing and then move for good lot later. So when you apply for exchange, you need to have more than two years of driving history.

Hapei

Aug 11, 2018
Hi,

I need help!!!!!
Today I went to the drive test center in London Ontario to exchange my recently expired license to an Ontario license. And they told you cannot do it because your license is expired. And now I am shocked that you said this is not true! They told me that I have to start from scratch and charged me for $150 for the tests and I have the wait for a year to get my G1. That is so stupid and annoying.
Is there any document that I can show them that they have to accept my driving history? Any advice? Should I go to the college park Toronto? My driving record letter will expire on Aug 20th and I should do sth about it!

Thanks.

Hello All,

Goodluck!!

Umbreen zubair

Feb 3, 2018
They calculate from the date of issuing licence till now.
In my case i have UAE licence. I can't exchange mine but i have history of more than 6 years licence. So i qualify for full G test.

godavari

Oct 30, 2017
Hi,

I need help!!!!!
Today I went to the drive test center in London Ontario to exchange my recently expired license to an Ontario license. And they told you cannot do it because your license is expired. And now I am shocked that you said this is not true! They told me that I have to start from scratch and charged me for $150 for the tests and I have the wait for a year to get my G1. That is so stupid and annoying.
Is there any document that I can show them that they have to accept my driving history? Any advice? Should I go to the college park Toronto? My driving record letter will expire on Aug 20th and I should do sth about it!

Thanks.

Hi there, try at College Park Toronto and let us know what they are saying, Ideally all the offices should follow the same rules.
I drove in Missouri for a while. Could you tell/share how to get US Driving license record through email/online.

godavari

Oct 30, 2017
I am going to British Columbia in the month of Spetember 2018 Can any body tell me this exprired (<1YR) US Drivers License exchange program works in BC or NOT?

Please suggest any link where i suppose to check for
Thanks in advance