+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Immigrants with Expired US DL (Exchange of License)

abovebeyond

Feb 17, 2019
Hi,
My US licese expired on Jun 2016. Can I exchange it for an Ontario DL?
How long does it take to obtain a driving record?
And in case I can't exchange it, does anyone has experience claiming the driving experience from your home country for the driving history?

Thanks

Nazdia

Nov 20, 2019
They calculate from the date of issuing licence till now.
In my case i have UAE licence. I can't exchange mine but i have history of more than 6 years licence. So i qualify for full G test.
Hi. Was your UAE driving license valid until then? Mine expired 17 months back.

Last edited:

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hi,
My US licese expired on Jun 2016. Can I exchange it for an Ontario DL?
How long does it take to obtain a driving record?
And in case I can't exchange it, does anyone has experience claiming the driving experience from your home country for the driving history?

Thanks
For that much length, it won't work. Folks have reported their licenses that had just expired were still allowed to exchange it for Ontario license

Rockstar09

Feb 15, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-06-2019
AOR Received.
27-06-2019
Do the DL abstract from US DMV has to be an official document or a printout from the DMV site is fine?
I am looking for an answer for the same question. Do I need a "Certified" drivers abstract or the Uncertified one that can be generated online is sufficient.

I am outside US and I need Drivers Abstract to exchange for Canada Driver License. To request "CERTIFIED" abstract from Arizona DMV, I have to be present in person or request by mail. What shall I do? Is there any option?

Last edited:

Mumbai2Canada

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019
Hi,

I was in the US till Feb of this year and then came back to India. I intend to land in Canada whenever the travel restrictions are lifted this year. I have a US driving license that expired in Feb and I got an MVR(Motor Vehicle Record) from the DPS(Dept of Public Safety) website for the state I resided in. This states it is certified at the top(with certification id) and gives a 3 year summary saying there are no violations, accidents or dept actions, the original issue date and the expiry date of my driving license. My question is can I take this MVR, my expired license and the passport to Service Canada/Ontario(Whenever I land there) and have it exchanged for an Ontario Driving License?

I know some people have mentioned that they have been able to in this thread stating that a US license can be expired for upto a year when going to get a Canadian license but since this thread is old, I wanted to know if this is still the case in 2020. I have tried searching in google but have not found anything on the Ontario.ca driving website and the drivecanada.ca website does not seem to open for me. Can anyone please help in this matter and let me know if the above would work.

Rockstar09

Feb 15, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-06-2019
AOR Received.
27-06-2019
Hi,

I was in the US till Feb of this year and then came back to India. I intend to land in Canada whenever the travel restrictions are lifted this year. I have a US driving license that expired in Feb and I got an MVR(Motor Vehicle Record) from the DPS(Dept of Public Safety) website for the state I resided in. This states it is certified at the top(with certification id) and gives a 3 year summary saying there are no violations, accidents or dept actions, the original issue date and the expiry date of my driving license. My question is can I take this MVR, my expired license and the passport to Service Canada/Ontario(Whenever I land there) and have it exchanged for an Ontario Driving License?

I know some people have mentioned that they have been able to in this thread stating that a US license can be expired for upto a year when going to get a Canadian license but since this thread is old, I wanted to know if this is still the case in 2020. I have tried searching in google but have not found anything on the Ontario.ca driving website and the drivecanada.ca website does not seem to open for me. Can anyone please help in this matter and let me know if the above would work.
Every province have their own regulation. We moved to BC in March and ICBC accepted our expired Driving License (from Arizona State) for the exchange program. We had also called ICBC to confirm prior to landing in Canada. May be you can try calling Ontario's department and confirm with them.

Mumbai2Canada

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019
Every province have their own regulation. We moved to BC in March and ICBC accepted our expired Driving License (from Arizona State) for the exchange program. We had also called ICBC to confirm prior to landing in Canada. May be you can try calling Ontario's department and confirm with them.
Thanks. I will try and contact Ontario's dept and I hope they give me an answer on this.

Mumbai2Canada

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019
@Mumbai2Canada : I am in a similar situation. Please let me know what you find. I will also update this thread with my findings.
Sure thing. I have sent them an email from the Ontario.ca website for now. Supposedly, a response should come within 15 days. As a backup, I am exploring the driving extract option from the Indian RTO as well in case the US one won't be accepted.

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
@Mumbai2Canada I was able to exchange my expired US drivers license today at DriveTest Center in Oakville. As long as US license is not expired for more than a year you should be fine. You just have to make sure that you are checking the website and going according to your month of birth. As an example this week only people born in Jan to June were allowed at the center.
Make sure to take along your driving extract from DMV, your US license and identification documents.

Mumbai2Canada

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019
@Mumbai2Canada I was able to exchange my expired US drivers license today at DriveTest Center in Oakville. As long as US license is not expired for more than a year you should be fine. You just have to make sure that you are checking the website and going according to your month of birth. As an example this week only people born in Jan to June were allowed at the center.
Make sure to take along your driving extract from DMV, your US license and identification documents.
Thanks a ton for giving me an update on this. This is a huge relief. So, did you take along just your license and the MVR(Motor Vehicle Record) to the DriveCanada centre? The MVR i have was emailed to me by the DPS in state I resided in and isn't super comprehensive. It just states that I have no violations in the past 3 years and has the issue date and other information. I held a driving license for 6 years in that state but the DPS website did not have a provision to provide a 6 year history.

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
Thanks a ton for giving me an update on this. This is a huge relief. So, did you take along just your license and the MVR(Motor Vehicle Record) to the DriveCanada centre? The MVR i have was emailed to me by the DPS in state I resided in and isn't super comprehensive. It just states that I have no violations in the past 3 years and has the issue date and other information. I held a driving license for 6 years in that state but the DPS website did not have a provision to provide a 6 year history.
I took my driving history (1 page document stating the first license issue date and dates of subsequent renewals) along with my license to the Drive Test center. As far as I understand, they are looking for is the length of your driving record - if it is more than 2 years, you should get a G license. The exact length of driving may have impact on your insurance premiums though (I have not done this yet, so cannot speak from experience).

Mumbai2Canada

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019
I took my driving history (1 page document stating the first license issue date and dates of subsequent renewals) along with my license to the Drive Test center. As far as I understand, they are looking for is the length of your driving record - if it is more than 2 years, you should get a G license. The exact length of driving may have impact on your insurance premiums though (I have not done this yet, so cannot speak from experience).
Thank you for the info !