+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Immigrants with Expired US DL (Exchange of License)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I need help!!!!!
Today I went to the drive test center in London Ontario to exchange my recently expired license to an Ontario license. And they told you cannot do it because your license is expired. And now I am shocked that you said this is not true! They told me that I have to start from scratch and charged me for $150 for the tests and I have the wait for a year to get my G1. That is so stupid and annoying.
Is there any document that I can show them that they have to accept my driving history? Any advice? Should I go to the college park Toronto? My driving record letter will expire on Aug 20th and I should do sth about it!

Thanks.
Why are you shocked? It says right on the website that a license must be valid when exchanged.

https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/licence_exchange.html

To be eligible for an exchange or credit towards an Ontario licence, an out-of-province or out-of-country driver’s licence needs to be in English or French, original, and valid.

Hapei

Aug 11, 2018
Hi,

I need help!!!!!
Today I went to the drive test center in London Ontario to exchange my recently expired license to an Ontario license. And they told you cannot do it because your license is expired. And now I am shocked that you said this is not true! They told me that I have to start from scratch and charged me for $150 for the tests and I have the wait for a year to get my G1. That is so stupid and annoying.
Is there any document that I can show them that they have to accept my driving history? Any advice? Should I go to the college park Toronto? My driving record letter will expire on Aug 20th and I should do sth about it!

Thanks.
Update:
This webpage clearly states that you can use your expired license within one year of expiration. Today went to the same drive test center in London with a print of that webpage to argue about their mistake. A new officer at the center told me right away that I am right and apologized for their mistake. She said that the previous officer obviously wasn't aware of this rule. They issued my full license and will refund me.

Last edited:

Hapei

Aug 11, 2018
Why are you shocked? It says right on the website that a license must be valid when exchanged.

https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/licence_exchange.html

To be eligible for an exchange or credit towards an Ontario licence, an out-of-province or out-of-country driver’s licence needs to be in English or French, original, and valid.
Right! But they also accept expired ones within one year of expiration.
https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/licence-exchanges-cars-small-trucks-and-vans.html

Hapei

Aug 11, 2018
Hi there, try at College Park Toronto and let us know what they are saying, Ideally all the offices should follow the same rules.
I drove in Missouri for a while. Could you tell/share how to get US Driving license record through email/online.
I don't know about Missouri. I got mine from Minnesota by mailing my request including $11 fee and it took almost 2 months to get it!

Last edited:

RG43

Sep 6, 2018
Hi All,

I need some help on the driving license and the rules in Canada

My husband and I just got our PR and we will be landing into Toronto on Jan 2019

We are Indians residing in Dubai. My husband and I have our Indian drivers license from 2009 and my husband also has his UAE license from 2017 March. I did have a US driver’s license when I was living there in 2012, which expired in 2016 (not sure if I can do anything about that to get my Canadian DL soon).

Before we land into Toronto he was planning to get an International driver permit here in the UAE so he can rent a car in Toronto and drive around. Is this possible? I mean since we are new PR’s there and would be still waiting for the card. I heard only visitors can do that? Can new PR’s too? Even if its for sometime would really be great

We plan to of course get our Canadian drivers license and we were told to get a letter from the RTA/RTO in India showing that we have 2 years’ experience so it would help in skipping G1. Am I right?

So once I skip G1 I can drive with someone or alone anywhere in Ontario what about another state? Is there a max no of weeks or months I need to drive before I get my G license

Need some help on the above

Thanks Guys

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I need some help on the driving license and the rules in Canada

My husband and I just got our PR and we will be landing into Toronto on Jan 2019

We are Indians residing in Dubai. My husband and I have our Indian drivers license from 2009 and my husband also has his UAE license from 2017 March. I did have a US driver’s license when I was living there in 2012, which expired in 2016 (not sure if I can do anything about that to get my Canadian DL soon).

Before we land into Toronto he was planning to get an International driver permit here in the UAE so he can rent a car in Toronto and drive around. Is this possible? I mean since we are new PR’s there and would be still waiting for the card. I heard only visitors can do that? Can new PR’s too? Even if its for sometime would really be great

We plan to of course get our Canadian drivers license and we were told to get a letter from the RTA/RTO in India showing that we have 2 years’ experience so it would help in skipping G1. Am I right?

So once I skip G1 I can drive with someone or alone anywhere in Ontario what about another state? Is there a max no of weeks or months I need to drive before I get my G license

Need some help on the above

Thanks Guys
On the strength of your expired US license, you might be able to get eye test before exchange for a new Ontario driver license:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/renew-expired-drivers-licence#section-4

RG43

Sep 6, 2018
Hi,

Im guessing the link you sent is for an expired Canadian license.

Also need help on the rest of the post

zzarkhan

Star Member
Feb 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2016
Doc's Request.
ITA recived 1 March 2017
Hi,

Im guessing the link you sent is for an expired Canadian license.

Also need help on the rest of the post
Hi, I am almost in the same boat.

PR approved. Planning to move by 2020.

Got an expired US driving license (texas) and for last 12 years UAE license.

Did you find any answer?

Reactions: Miracle2018

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
I landed in BC week ago and went to day to ICBC with my expired US Driving License (expired in January 2017). I was confirmed that upto three years from date of expiry the licenses from countries with whom Canada has reciprocal arrangement are accepted in BC. Though I had to surrender my US Driving license but official gave me photocopy of the same for future reference.

Filled up form, Gave two IDs (Passport and Landing Documents in original), Photographed, Eye Test and Road Safety questions Test (very short version) was done. Fees of CAD 31/- was paid and all done. I was issued temporary permit for 2 months and original Driving license to follow in post.

Reactions: Miracle2018

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I landed in BC week ago and went to day to ICBC with my expired US Driving License (expired in January 2017). I was confirmed that upto three years from date of expiry the licenses from countries with whom Canada has reciprocal arrangement are accepted in BC. Though I had to surrender my US Driving license but official gave me photocopy of the same for future reference.

Filled up form, Gave two IDs (Passport and Landing Documents in original), Photographed, Eye Test and Road Safety questions Test (very short version) was done. Fees of CAD 31/- was paid and all done. I was issued temporary permit for 2 months and original Driving license to follow in post.
Each province is likely different.

kalps7

Feb 27, 2019
I landed in Toronto a week ago. I had US Ohio Driver's license but it expired in 2016. Do I need to go through the whole process of Knowledge test, G1 driving test etc?

onkarshinde

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
Hello All,

I just landed in Toronto and wanted to share my experience as far as the driving license (Exchange with expired US License) went, as I was not able to get a clear answer until I went to the Service Ontario Personally.
Those who have a US Driving license which is expired under *ONE YEAR* most likely are eligible to get a G class directly (without any test), provided they have the driving records from the all of the states that they had license from (yes, they do check all the dates for continuity).
Please also ensure that all the records clearly show the license issue date as well (as these records will be checked in detail OR you will be asked to show that detail in the record, if they don't see it).
As for as the original license card is considered, you can carry the latest (or the last one you had) with you and that should be enough, although I would suggest carry all the other ones as well, if not taken by the succeeding DMV (Just incase if asked).
Once you provide the records and the license card, they will verify passport and give you a full G license (no tests required).

Please note that this is specifically with the Ontario license (In Toronto, specifically, College park location). I am not sure if its the same in other Ontario locations, but if it is so in one office, I would assume it to be in the other offices too.
Hope this helps :)

Goodluck!!
Do the DL abstract from US DMV has to be an official document or a printout from the DMV site is fine?

GG15

Mar 18, 2019
March 2019, Just got my expired US drivers license converted into a Canadian DL. All you need are the certified driving record, US DL (Acceptable up to 1 year of expiry) and Passport. They give you the temporary paper DL right away and the actual DL card is sent to the address. BTW they do not need any address proof.

ENGINEER4U

Apr 16, 2019
I will be moving to Ontario next month. I have an expired US drivers license which was issue for 8 years. Do I still need to provide certified driving record to exchange my expired license?

Canjan18

Jan 12, 2019
March 2019, Just got my expired US drivers license converted into a Canadian DL. All you need are the certified driving record, US DL (Acceptable up to 1 year of expiry) and Passport. They give you the temporary paper DL right away and the actual DL card is sent to the address. BTW they do not need any address proof.
Hi Which location did you exchange? Mine is expired in March and I am landing in June.. Thank you in advance.