Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
If someone has the intent of moving after 3 years, how can adding one year extra stop that individual or make the person a real Canadian ?. Even people who are born in Canada should sign the intent document before they get Canadian passport and what is the actual use of passport after you get Citizenship ?. I think passports are meant to be used when you go out of Canada(primary purpose) and if they are making such a hue and cry over Citizenship then just issue passports(can only be issued onshore) that are only valid for few months and people are forced to return to Canada before the expiry. This way Canada can be proud by holding back Canadians.

flusty

Nov 6, 2010
harry_aussie said:
So sad about elimination of time spent in Canada before getting PR. How come these stupids nullify someones time spent in Canada ?. My wife has paid taxes all these years and now she was going to apply in September this year. By the virtue of this stupid law, now she will have to wait till September 2016. It is so hard to understand that how can this point even be related to Citizenship and yes she is more passionate about Canada as compared to some of the so called real Canadians.
Probably not.... I heard on the news that this bill may take effect November / December 2014

IBMER

Dec 14, 2009
harry_aussie said:
If someone has the intent of moving after 3 years, how can adding one year extra stop that individual or make the person a real Canadian ?
Agreed! That's going to be the case even if the requirement of 3 years is jacked up to say 5 or 6 years. The general idea is that reasonably longer the duration reasonably stronger the bond. I know and agree that "reasonably" is a subjective term.

dr_majed8835

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Hi everyone,
I would like to know if this bill became a law will it apply on the people who are already PRs, because I have contacted the CIC today and the person who answered me said that it is still a bill and when I told him that I'm already a PR he told me that I'm good!

IBMER

Dec 14, 2009
dr_majed8835 said:
Hi everyone,
I would like to know if this bill became a law will it apply on the people who are already PRs, because I have contacted the CIC today and the person who answered me said that it is still a bill and when I told him that I'm already a PR he told me that I'm good!
I'm not sure if this is correct; CIC applies the rules that are in force at the time of processing your application (be it for PR or work permit or citizenship) is my understanding. I'm not an expert in law; so take that with a pinch of salt.

muzmil

Feb 11, 2008
IBMER said:
Agreed! That's going to be the case even if the requirement of 3 years is jacked up to say 5 or 6 years. The general idea is that reasonably longer the duration reasonably stronger the bond. I know and agree that "reasonably" is a subjective term.
I think by getting the declaration signed , even though no body can stop any one to move out and live anywhere else but it will give more powers / reasons to government to take citizenship away in case they want to , for example down the road they can get new rule passed and declare that anyone not filling taxes / living here for continuous past 10 years will be stripped of his / her citizenship... Basically, the real problem is taxes and government wants people to play lawfully even if they live abroad. The people living abroad makes so much money just because of passport but in return they don't file proper taxes and yet claim for child benefits etc etc - Truth of the matter is people like us who work so hard have to pay taxes for such people- I am sure this new rule will come down the road and at that time people will have no choice since they already had signed this declaration..

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Basically, the real problem is taxes and government wants people to play lawfully even if they live abroad. The people living abroad makes so much money just because of passport but in return they don't file proper taxes and yet claim for child benefits etc etc

These words of yours Muzmil are generalizing the things too much. There is no proof that people only move abroad to make more money, there can be many reasons behind the move. However i do agree that people who come back and who never contributed to Canadian welfare system must be made to put in their fair share before they can claim something.

muzmil

Feb 11, 2008
harry_aussie said:
Basically, the real problem is taxes and government wants people to play lawfully even if they live abroad. The people living abroad makes so much money just because of passport but in return they don't file proper taxes and yet claim for child benefits etc etc

These words of yours Muzmil are generalizing the things too much. There is no proof that people only move abroad to make more money, there can be many reasons behind the move. However i do agree that people who come back and who never contributed to Canadian welfare system must be made to put in their fair share before they can claim something.
I totally agree there are many reasons , but the bottom line is wherever they live , they do something to make money to survive and with full confidence i can say that 95% of the time that reported income is not completely accurate ; because if they report true income their tax bill will fly off the roof !!

Also, in my experience the most common reason to move is higher salaries, moving due to family / personal reason is also there but that move is generally a temporary move for few years but eventually people do come back. But if you are making solid 6 figure salary somewhere nobody want to come back !!

Anjuli

Jan 18, 2014
wadelmaki said:
The only issue is your application might be returned based on the new fee posted on the website today. As of today all of the new applications will be assessed based on the new fees ($400).
I am on same boat. Sent Feb 1st but Canada Post shows delivered Thursday 6th in the morning.
I am ok with paying more fees or whatever they need to "speed" the process but HOW is it fair to change this and make it effective the SAME DAY when we DIDNT KNOW and already sent the old fees. ? They should be fair and have at least a window of a week considering Canada post etc. Tsk Tsk.. Now God knows how long it will take to open the application see the old fee , send it BACK and then who knows what else. More waste of time. Awful. :(

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
muzmil said:
I totally agree there are many reasons , but the bottom line is wherever they live , they do something to make money to survive and with full confidence i can say that 95% of the time that reported income is not completely accurate ; because if they report true income their tax bill will fly off the roof !!

Also, in my experience the most common reason to move is higher salaries, moving due to family / personal reason is also there but that move is generally a temporary move for few years but eventually people do come back. But if you are making solid 6 figure salary somewhere nobody want to come back !!
I agree with you Muzmil but say if someone is not in Canada for a decade then why should he/she pay tax to Canada because no Canadian welfare is being used. On the other hand it would be very fair to ask for tax if the person returns to Canada and becomes a part of the welfare system. Nothing wrong in asking someone to declare tax for the years he/she been abroad if they want to claim eg Seniors pension. On a general note, the big companies and people who work on cash are looting Canada in a big way, even though they are in Canada and deem to be termed as Canadians. The problem lies with people who are present in Canada, using all its goodies and still are not paying even a cent.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
dr_majed8835 said:
Hi everyone,
And this is why nobody trusts the information from the CIC call centre. It *will*apply to anyone who submitted a citizenship application after the date that the Bill becomes active. Just because you are a PR today, you will not escape from the changes.

Canadian2007

Nov 20, 2012
Why do you have to force someone to live in a place when this country has so much to offer? Someone has to ask this question? Why having an open immigration system to bring in 250,000 each year when there is so much negativity about immigrants? Isn't Citizenship about celebrating and embracing your new home, new country.. not fear mongering,officially creating 2 classes of citizens in the name of strengthening it?

One more question--- I thought you have to be a Canadian Citizen to be able to join the Canadian military. So who gets the fast tracked citizenship while in the armed forces?

Sam101Sam

Feb 7, 2014
To Kelshaer:

They CANNOT do that to you! When you mailed out your application, the new fees weren't effective. I will call CIC and get back to you. ;)

vic48912

Star Member
Nov 30, 2007
muzmil said:
I think by getting the declaration signed , even though no body can stop any one to move out and live anywhere else but it will give more powers / reasons to government to take citizenship away in case they want to , for example down the road they can get new rule passed and declare that anyone not filling taxes / living here for continuous past 10 years will be stripped of his / her citizenship... Basically, the real problem is taxes and government wants people to play lawfully even if they live abroad. The people living abroad makes so much money just because of passport but in return they don't file proper taxes and yet claim for child benefits etc etc - Truth of the matter is people like us who work so hard have to pay taxes for such people- I am sure this new rule will come down the road and at that time people will have no choice since they already had signed this declaration..

My thinking about signing that declaration is for the government to refuse consular assistance if you get into problem while living oversea. Like the Lebanon crisis where Canadian were evacuated....

vic48912

Star Member
Nov 30, 2007
muzmil said:

Most people that move out for work do apply for non resident Canadian status with CRA......if you are recognized as non resident for tax purpose you do not need to pay tax......