+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Citizenship Bill Thursday Feb 6th

vic48912

Star Member
Nov 30, 2007
Anjuli said:
I am on same boat. Sent Feb 1st but Canada Post shows delivered Thursday 6th in the morning.
I am ok with paying more fees or whatever they need to "speed" the process but HOW is it fair to change this and make it effective the SAME DAY when we DIDNT KNOW and already sent the old fees. ? They should be fair and have at least a window of a week considering Canada post etc. Tsk Tsk.. Now God knows how long it will take to open the application see the old fee , send it BACK and then who knows what else. More waste of time. Awful. :(

I would have made out a bank draft of the balance and mail to CIC with cover note explaining your predicament.....it takes about 3 months to get back incomplete application

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
Guys Dont worry from previous amendments I can say it will take a year at least until the new law is effective .. so people within a year of applying shouldn't worry that much.

Last Amendment to Citizenship act took place in April 17th 2009 this was known as Bill C-37.

First Reading was on December 10th 2007 for this Amendment. Please check the link below:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/About/Parliament/LegislativeSummaries/bills_ls.asp?lang=E&ls=c37&Parl=39&Ses=2&source=library_prb

Quoting: "Bill C-37, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act, was introduced in the House of Commons and received first reading on 10 December 2007"

That means it took from December 2007 till Apri 17th 2009 from the first reading until it became an effective law.

So the First reading for the new Law is Feb 6th 2014 .. If you assumed the same time will apply .. we are looking around June 2015 until the law is effective.

This is Just my opinion .. I hope this will be true.

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vic48912 said:
I would have made out a bank draft of the balance and mail to CIC with cover note explaining your predicament.....it takes about 3 months to get back incomplete application
On the CIC online payment website, they created a "top up" fee of 200$ for those who only paid 200$ .... I don't know how this will apply, they might not return complete applications but only a request to add 200$ to the bill.

tharaan

Feb 7, 2014
Hi guys,
Since I dont have taxable income I did not pay taxes for last 2 years I m searching job in IT field? If this bill is passed does it affect current processing application(My application is in process)? I m too worried!

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tharaan said:
Hi guys,
Since I dont have taxable income I did not pay taxes for last 2 years I m searching job in IT field? If this bill is passed does it affect current processing application(My application is in process)? I m too worried!
no it wont, the minister reassured applicants that applications currently in the system won't be affected.

We already discussed this on this thread...

tharaan

Feb 7, 2014
Thanks ramsfe for your quick posting,
But some media reports says "propose changes to the citizenship act would also reduce the current backlog of application change the condition for eligibility",
Another article says "Alexander said the upcoming legislation will target the current backlog of citizenship application" What does these articles mean?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
tharaan said:
Hi guys,
you should still be filing your tax returns, even if you don't have any taxable income.

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tharaan said:
Thanks ramsfe for your quick posting,
But some media reports says "propose changes to the citizenship act would also reduce the current backlog of application change the condition for eligibility",
Another article says "Alexander said the upcoming legislation will target the current backlog of citizenship application" What does these articles mean?
It simply means that by raising the fees and by making applying for citizenship more complicated, they will be able to employ more clerks and to receive less applications in the next few years.

They are also going to make their internal process more efficient by eliminating two steps of the current process and by giving more authority to CIC employees who will have full authority to decide on whether or not to approve routine applications, which will give more time to the judges to take care of non routine applications. This will greatly reduce the current backlog.

The fees part and the internal processing part don't need a new legislation to become effective immediatly, some of the process amendments will need a ministerial decree and probably a quick modification of the current law, however, this doesn't have to wait till the new act becomes a law.

To be honest and fair,most of the process reforms were due, all the rest is too much and will surely get heavily challenged at the HOC....

gosia

Apr 26, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2010
Doc's Request.
26-05-2011
File Transfer...
15-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made April 15, 2013
LANDED..........
20-06-2013
sicko86 said:
Guys Dont worry from previous amendments I can say it will take a year at least until the new law is effective .. so people within a year of applying shouldn't worry that much.

Last Amendment to Citizenship act took place in April 17th 2009 this was known as Bill C-37.

First Reading was on December 10th 2007 for this Amendment. Please check the link below:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/About/Parliament/LegislativeSummaries/bills_ls.asp?lang=E&ls=c37&Parl=39&Ses=2&source=library_prb

Quoting: "Bill C-37, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act, was introduced in the House of Commons and received first reading on 10 December 2007"

That means it took from December 2007 till Apri 17th 2009 from the first reading until it became an effective law.

So the First reading for the new Law is Feb 6th 2014 .. If you assumed the same time will apply .. we are looking around June 2015 until the law is effective.

This is Just my opinion .. I hope this will be true.
still not good for me because i have already travelled for 3 weeks and am only eligible in july 2015 :'(

rg2012

Star Member
Sep 14, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
polarbear said:
Alexander said the proposed changes to the Citizenship Act would also aim to reduce the current backlog of applications and change the conditions for eligibility.

So I think, this will also affect applications currently in process.

:mad:

No, it won't. What they mean is that automatically a large percentage of people cannot apply until a few years from now. For example, if you are eligible to apply by June, 2014. Assuming the bill becomes a law before that, you are automatically pushed out by a year at least.

rg2012

Star Member
Sep 14, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wadelmaki said:
I think one way to reduce the backlog is to make the requirement 4 in 6 rather than 3 in 4 (years) for example. In that case they will automatically pause the citizenship applications by one year. My sister is suppose to apply next month, she will be so unhappy.
Your sister shouldn't have a problem because I doubt it will become a law so quickly. Of course, I could be wrong, but I'm seriously doubtful.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
dr_majed8835 said:
Hi everyone,
I would like to know if this bill became a law will it apply on the people who are already PRs, because I have contacted the CIC today and the person who answered me said that it is still a bill and when I told him that I'm already a PR he told me that I'm good!
This is wrong information. Whether you are affected has nothing to do with then you became a PR. Instead, whether you are affected or not will have everything to do with when you submit your citizenship application vs. when the bill is passed.

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
Timeline for the previous Amendment from the Canadian Parliament Website.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&billId=3188741

Took from December 10th,2007->April 17th 2008 in Parliament Discussions, and it was effective a year Later (17th April 2009).

So Just Relax .. it will take more than a year until the change is effective.

CocoaTea

Star Member
Dec 26, 2009
tharaan said:
Hi guys,
hellooo..my wife is a student -self sponsored- but she still files her tax return! Saying you dont file because you have no income has no basis..even with a zero income you can file your tax return..

kazemsd

Sep 9, 2011
You forgot the important fact that back in 2008-2009 we had a minority government.
That was why it took so long.
Now, with a majority government, it just depends on them and how much they are rushed to pass this bill

sicko86 said:
Timeline for the previous Amendment from the Canadian Parliament Website.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&billId=3188741

Took from December 10th,2007->April 17th 2008 in Parliament Discussions, and it was effective a year Later (17th April 2009).

So Just Relax .. it will take more than a year until the change is effective.