Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
kazemsd said:
You forgot the important fact that back in 2008-2009 we had a minority government.
That was why it took so long.
Now, with a majority government, it just depends on them and how much they are rushed to pass this bill
I think my friend there should be a transitional time somehow anyways (1 year period between approval and until the law is effective) ... this applies to any new law the government want to adopt.

If it wasn't the case .. we really have a bad luck :S

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
kazemsd said:
You forgot the important fact that back in 2008-2009 we had a minority government.
Now, with a majority government, it just depends on them and how much they are rushed to pass this bill
Agreed. If the Conservatives want to pass this bill they have the power to pass it relatively quickly. I don't see this taking a year.

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
This Bill would divide the Canadians into two category of Citizens:

First Class Citizen
Second Class Citizen

I am a immigrant from third world country, thankful for Canada for providing me opportunity to immigrate to Canada. But also, we are human and want equality and justice. This discrimination between First and Second class citizen would raise the possibility of unrest among vast majority of newcomers who would no doubt accept these conditions initially to become the citizen, but once Citizen they will rise to fight the discrimination like "intent to stay". The questions the 14-40 years will be asking "Why" I am different than other Citizen when charter promise equality to all Canadian Citizen. Why I should sign "Intent to Stay" whereas other are free to move around.

I suggest minister and parliamentarian do not sew the seed of discrimination. As a true Canadian I wish my next generation see a united Canada not the split one.

Prejudice and discrimination are negative manifestations of integrative power. Instead of bringing or holding people together, prejudice and discrimination push them apart.

God Bless Canada

vic48912

Star Member
Nov 30, 2007
kazemsd said:

True.......that bill then was a contentious bill and it took a while for it to be watered down by liberal coalition partner before it could pass plus you have to factor in the fact that Harper prorogued parliament that period when he was about to lose confidence vote. It's all different now, Harper have majority so they can literally pass any bill they want. Canadian political parties back bench (HoC) vote party line almost 99% of the time, back bench revolt is unheard of in Harper Caucus, maybe senate?.....You only need to see how the "fair election" bill introduce last week in HoC is being rammed through parliament quickly while opposition party NDP and LP are screaming foul play......that will give you an insight how this bill will play out.

Oh and the Opposition party's are scared to visibly oppose this bill as Harper has use the bully pulpit to sensitize Canadians that Citizenship grants are being offered to immigrants like candy or majority immigrants don't integrate. It's close to election, they see the trap.

dr_majed8835

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
I'm eligible to apply in May but I went out of Canada to visit my parents before and after becoming PR.
Now, if I missed declaring days of absence will this affect my application- when you exit Canada u don't go through an officer but only when you come back.
Do you guys think that the bill will be effective by the fall-winter of this year this is when I'll finish making-up for my days of absence.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Hasher said:

First Class Citizen
Second Class Citizen

I am a immigrant from third world country, thankful for Canada for providing me opportunity to immigrate to Canada. But also, we are human and want equality and justice. This discrimination between First and Second class citizen would raise the possibility of unrest among vast majority of newcomers who would no doubt accept these conditions initially to become the citizen, but once Citizen they will rise to fight the discrimination like "intent to stay". The questions the 14-40 years will be asking "Why" I am different than other Citizen when charter promise equality to all Canadian Citizen. Why I should sign "Intent to Stay" whereas other are free to move around.

I suggest minister and parliamentarian do not sew the seed of discrimination. As a true Canadian I wish my next generation see a united Canada not the split one.

Prejudice and discrimination are negative manifestations of integrative power. Instead of bringing or holding people together, prejudice and discrimination push them apart.

God Bless Canada
What's so horrible about the intent to stay? If you're not going to stay in the country I don't see why you should be granted citizenship in the first place. They're not going to strip you of your citizenship if you leave anyway, so I fail to see what the issue is.

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
Yes, this is the point, why one should sign something that create only discrimination but no value. If we sign and flee, still it makes no difference except one made to feel that his rights are not same as other. Why they want us to sign that, may be it sounds over stated here but it will impact when matter of equality comes in one's mind.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
dr_majed8835 said:
I'm eligible to apply in May but I went out of Canada to visit my parents before and after becoming PR.
Now, if I missed declaring days of absence will this affect my application- when you exit Canada u don't go through an officer but only when you come back.
Doesn't matter. CIC has access to flight manifests. Flight manifests show both your exits and entries.

Don't apply until you really have enough days. Applying without sufficient days is only going to result in longer processing times and then a refusal.

vbomb

Star Member
Aug 26, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
1122 business management consultant
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-MAY-2010
Doc's Request.
07-SEP-2010
Nomination.....
23-MAR-2010
AOR Received.
01-SEP-2010
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
No
Med's Request
01-SEP-2010
Med's Done....
17-AUG-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-MAR-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-APR-2011
LANDED..........
19-APR-2011
Hasher said:

First Class Citizen
Second Class Citizen

God Bless Canada
Why would this create first and second class citizen? You have permanent resident and Citizens. That's not going to change

The US immigration law is even stricter, you have to be a PR for 5 years before you can apply. And if you spend more than 6 months outside of the US each year, they can take away your green card as well

Your argument makes no sense

redstone

Apr 6, 2013
I am not clear about "intent to stay". Is this mean we cant go for vacation or to visit family back home for 1/2 months during citizenship application processing time also after citizenship grant. Pls clarify

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Hasher said:
Yes, this is the point, why one should sign something that create only discrimination but no value. If we sign and flee, still it makes no difference except one made to feel that his rights are not same as other. Why they want us to sign that, may be it sounds over stated here but it will impact when matter of equality comes in one's mind.
I think the provision has been added to help make the point that citizenship implies a commitment to Canada on your behalf, just like Canada commits to you. If you're planning to leave, you should remain a PR.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
DISCLAIMER: Everything said below is my own personal opnion.

This thread is an interesting read. The bill will have easy passage because it really does not go to any extremes so there will be no significant objections to it. However even easy passage can/will take a few months so I don't see this bill coming into effect before late summer 2014 at the earliest.

The "Intent to Reside" declaration does not mean much at this point but creates a loophole for future governments to take away Citizenship. Like it or not, there is a lot of immigration fraud going on in Canada. People claiming citizenship and then moving overseas (US, Middle East etc). Most of these people do not contribute anything to Canada but try to claim as many benefits as they can. Then once they retire or get sick they want to come back and take advantage of Canada's health care and welfare systems. I believe that in the future the Govt will pass laws saying that if you have not lived in Canada for X number of years you will lose your citizenship.

It is ridiculous how many Canadian citizens are living aboard. Heck, there is an outrageous number of refugees who are living in their native lands after getting their Canadian citizenships. How is it fair that you can claim persecution in your homeland and the minute Canada gives you a passport it becomes ok for you to go back and live there again?

So having prospective citizens sign this declaration is setting up the stage for future govts to be able to revoke citizenships if needed.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Hasher said:
If you don't like the Queen, but swear your oath and loyalty to her during the oath ceremony (even though you don't mean it), and then afterwards say you have no loyalty to the queen, are you going to feel that your rights are not the same? How many people at the oath ceremony do you think actually mean what they say during the oath?

redstone

Apr 6, 2013
I am not clear about "intent to stay". Is this mean we cant go for vacation or to visit family back home for 1/2 months during citizenship application processing time also after citizenship grant. Pls advise

vbomb

Star Member
Aug 26, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
1122 business management consultant
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-MAY-2010
Doc's Request.
07-SEP-2010
Nomination.....
23-MAR-2010
AOR Received.
01-SEP-2010
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
No
Med's Request
01-SEP-2010
Med's Done....
17-AUG-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-MAR-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-APR-2011
LANDED..........
19-APR-2011
txboyscout said:
DISCLAIMER: Everything said below is my own personal opnion.

This thread is an interesting read. The bill will have easy passage because it really does not go to any extremes so there will be no significant objections to it. However even easy passage can/will take a few months so I don't see this bill coming into effect before late summer 2014 at the earliest.

The "Intent to Reside" declaration does not mean much at this point but creates a loophole for future governments to take away Citizenship. Like it or not, there is a lot of immigration fraud going on in Canada. People claiming citizenship and then moving overseas (US, Middle East etc). Most of these people do not contribute anything to Canada but try to claim as many benefits as they can. Then once they retire or get sick they want to come back and take advantage of Canada's health care and welfare systems. I believe that in the future the Govt will pass laws saying that if you have not lived in Canada for X number of years you will lose your citizenship.

It is ridiculous how many Canadian citizens are living aboard. Heck, there is an outrageous number of refugees who are living in their native lands after getting their Canadian citizenships. How is it fair that you can claim persecution in your homeland and the minute Canada gives you a passport it becomes ok for you to go back and live there again?

So having prospective citizens sign this declaration is setting up the stage for future govts to be able to revoke citizenships if needed.
I agree with you on the point of why should we the tax payers pay for their healthcare and welfare, while they didn't pay their share and only want to take advantage of the system

In my opinion, if you return to the country that you ran from claiming of danger, prosecution etc. refugee status in Canada, then you're no longer in danger of needing protection and should be investigated for fraud