+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New bill would allow border guards to record exit movemnts for everyone

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
In reality, what this does is out source exit monitoring to United States Customs and Border Protection. Are people sure they really want that? I guess it doesn't matter, because it is going to happen......

h3a3j6

Mar 31, 2014
Montréal
links18 said:
In reality, what this does is out source exit monitoring to United States Customs and Border Protection. Are people sure they really want that? I guess it doesn't matter, because it is going to happen......
I believe it's only for non-citizen.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
h3a3j6 said:
I believe it's only for non-citizen.
Non-citizens were already been tracked under previous phases of "Beyond the Border". Canadians and Americans are being included in this bill. This is part of the last phase, which includes Canadians and Americans, of Beyond the Border initiative.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
links18 said:
This is not just for people leaving Canada to go to the USA. It is exit control for everyone, just like they do in nearly every other country around the world

Reactions: mickey_mouse

toshib

Star Member
Apr 17, 2014
The new proposed bill C-21 regarding the exit controls will be used specifically to check that PR renewal applicants & citizenship applicants comply with the residency requirement & also check people who get the governments benefits are residents in Canada at the time they get the benefits

Reactions: mickey_mouse

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
toshib said:
The new proposed bill C-21 regarding the exit controls will be used specifically to check that PR renewal applicants & citizenship applicants comply with the residency requirement & also check people who get the governments benefits are residents in Canada at the time they get the benefits
Which opens another contentious debate on "residency."

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
keesio said:
This is not just for people leaving Canada to go to the USA. It is exit control for everyone, just like they do in nearly every other country around the world
I guess you are for it then?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
links18 said:
I am not sure what you are getting at? Are you saying you don't want CIC to collect exit records of PR's and Canadians?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
links18 said:
I always wondered why they didn't have it in the first place. It would make life so much easier for people trying to validate their entry/exit records when applying for PR Card renewal or Citizenship. So many people have complained why doesn't Canada do this already. I actually can't think of a negative of having it.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
links18 said:
Which opens another contentious debate on "residency."
Actually it closes the debate. With exit control there will be no "debate" about ones RO. CBSA will have all the records and IRCC can get access to them. No room for debate (and maybe eliminate the need for personal detailed record management for your entry/exits??). If IRCC questions your dates, you can show them all entry/exit records from CBSA... assuming they implement this correctly.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
keesio said:
Actually it closes the debate. With exit control there will be no "debate" about ones RO. CBSA will have all the records and IRCC can get access to them. No room for debate (and maybe eliminate the need for personal detailed record management for your entry/exits??). If IRCC questions your dates, you can show them all entry/exit records from CBSA... assuming they implement this correctly.
I highly doubt this.

The burden of both presenting travel information and proving residency/presence will almost certainly still be imposed on PRs, whether for purposes of showing compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, or for the purpose of establishing eligibility for citizenship.

IRCC will use access to border crossing data for verification purposes, and thus be primarily looking into this data for indications that the applicant's accounting of dates is incomplete or otherwise not accurate.

CBSA will use access to this information for screening purposes, to identify individuals to be examined or investigated, such as PRs at PoE examinations.

Other government agencies will have some access for purposes of identifying and investigating potential instances of fraud, such as individuals utilizing health care benefits for residents when they have not been meeting the residency requirements.

Thus, overall it will significantly impact the opportunity to fudge or engage in fraud, giving the government more tools and information with which to identify misrepresentations as to residency or presence. This should significantly reduce the extent to which there will be lengthy processing times for residency/presence cases. But again, the applicant will still be required to submit an accurate and complete accounting of all travel abroad, and if challenged, prove this. And it is likely that in some cases IRCC will still doubt or overtly challenge certain PR's claims of presence for the time between last-known-entry and next-known-exit . . . in other words, IRCC will not necessarily conclude the captured exit and entry data will be complete. And can, and sometimes will, require the applicant to prove presence in-between known dates of travel, such as by proof of place of abode and place of employment.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
keesio said:
Yeah, the last part is the trick and it is not CBSA who will be implementing it--its US CBP--in other words a foreign government.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
screech339 said:
I am not sure what you are getting at? Are you saying you don't want CIC to collect exit records of PR's and Canadians?
No, I am not sure I want US CBP doing CIC's job for it--one more step towards continental integration. Hey, wasn't there an election about that recently somewhere?