+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to bring finance car to Canada for landing

Apr 4, 2018
They didn't gave me any really hard time but they do keep on asking me some simple questions like "why your left USA ?", why she didn't registered car in Canada etc.

I said, she recently immigrated to Canada and we need do paper work to import car to Canada, so I am reading some forums and had called to both Canada and USA immigration.
Thanks. I went to CBSA office and they said Do Not drive the car across border because at the entry the border agents will give a very hard time and might not even let me drive the car without importing it. I am lost. Dont know what i will do.

vreddy

Jul 4, 2017
I think the only thing you can do is " take a hand loan from your friend, clear the lease/ get a tittle on your name and apply for pre-approve car loan in Canada and you can payback to your friend".

All this process takes 1 month, I guess

Johnparker

Star Member
Apr 1, 2016
Hi All,

I am in same situation. I am moving to canada in January 2019. I am on H1B valid till 2021. I am planing to stay in canada for 2 yrs. I have two car. One with full paid ( i have title but its 13 yrs old car) , Other is financed one.

- Can I bring a old car ( which is in very good condition) to canada and register in canada since I have title with me and fully paid ?
What are the documents and process needed to bring this car in canada ?

I am not planing to pay off the financed car yet since I have 2 years of loan pending on that car and finance company won't give me title untill paid off. so my best bet is to bring old car as of now and register in canada . I am still searching all neccessary detail on how to bring car and register in canada. If any one has done this process in past, please reply.

Thanks in advance.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi All,

I am in same situation. I am moving to canada in January 2019. I am on H1B valid till 2021. I am planing to stay in canada for 2 yrs. I have two car. One with full paid ( i have title but its 13 yrs old car) , Other is financed one.

- Can I bring a old car ( which is in very good condition) to canada and register in canada since I have title with me and fully paid ?
What are the documents and process needed to bring this car in canada ?

I am not planing to pay off the financed car yet since I have 2 years of loan pending on that car and finance company won't give me title untill paid off. so my best bet is to bring old car as of now and register in canada . I am still searching all neccessary detail on how to bring car and register in canada. If any one has done this process in past, please reply.

Thanks in advance.
This has good information and all steps are covered.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/steps-to-export-the-vehicle-from-usa-to-canada.528187/
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/exporting-importing-vehicle-us-to-canada-only.415713/
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/exporting-a-vehicle-from-the-u-s-and-importing-into-canada-complete-step-by-step-guide.539649/

Your old car: As long as your car is listed in approved models then you are good to go.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/Section3_0.htm

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
I would declare as goods to follow then work on clearing the loan. Once you have the title, I would cross over to US side and begin the export process, then import into Canada.
@VOBuckeye @vreddy is it possible to do this? I want to declare my car (which has a loan on it in the US) and drive it across the border and declare it in goods to follow. Then import it when the loan is over (end of this year). Is that possible?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
@VOBuckeye @vreddy is it possible to do this? I want to declare my car (which has a loan on it in the US) and drive it across the border and declare it in goods to follow. Then import it when the loan is over (end of this year). Is that possible?
If you are just going to Canada just for landing then its fine but if you are moving permanently then they wont allow.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
If you are just going to Canada just for landing then its fine but if you are moving permanently then they wont allow.
Is there even a difference for CBSA/IRCC purposes? I thought the idea of "soft landing" does not exist in terms of law, that is they only understand moving there permanently right?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Is there even a difference for CBSA/IRCC purposes? I thought the idea of "soft landing" does not exist in terms of law, that is they only understand moving there permanently right?
Soft landing is just a term. Its nothing but the first time entry using PR visa to confirm/gain your permanent residency. So usually soft landing means that you just enter the country to confirm your PR and then come back without moving permanently. Not all moves permanently in the first visit itself.

CBSA processes your candidacy to confirm your PR hence any issues during your landing will lead you to getting your PR entry denied. After successful landing cbsa updates IRCC about the first entry.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Soft landing is just a term. Its nothing but the first time entry using PR visa to confirm/gain your permanent residency. So usually soft landing means that you just enter the country to confirm your PR and then come back without moving permanently. Not all moves permanently in the first visit itself.

CBSA processes your candidacy to confirm your PR hence any issues during your landing will lead you to getting your PR entry denied. After successful landing cbsa updates IRCC about the first entry.
I get that, my question is to your comment about taking the car would be :

How do they distinguish between landing or permanent move? Is it first time is landing and second time onwards is permanent?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

How do they distinguish between landing or permanent move? Is it first time is landing and second time onwards is permanent?
They don't distinguish. The first time is landing but does not mean the second time permanent. In fact, many people does not meet residency obligation and don't have plans to live in Canada.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
When coming from foreign country, cbsa asks you how long you would say hence your answer determines if you are going there permanently or not.
If you move without importing then in few trips cbsa and cbp will start asking why you have not registered in canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: ryeCatcher

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
When coming from foreign country, cbsa asks you how long you would say hence your answer determines if you are going there permanently or not.
If you move without importing then in few trips cbsa and cbp will start asking why you have not registered in canada.
I see thanks. Yeah it will be just this one time, the next time I cross the border (in a few months after this covid situation settles down) it will be with all our stuff and that point I will import the car.

Anyway, hoping its ok to list the car in goods to follow for the first crossing :|