+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to bring finance car to Canada for landing

vreddy

Jul 4, 2017
Hi guys, need some help...

Me and my wife got PR approved and need to do landing in 2 weeks

I live in Canada on Work Permit and my wife holds H1B visa in US (but she came to Canada on her visit visa with her car, she has no plans to go US again)

My wife's car is on finance and we are planing to clear the car in next 2-3 months.

Now, she have to declare car while landing ? I heard , they won't accept if the car is in finance to import to Canada or can we declare the car as goods to follow list?

Thanks.

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
I declared mine on the goods to follow list until I can figure out what to do with it. It's still financed so I'm looking at options. I might not even export it.
I had to describe make and model, and provide VIN number at POE.
Since you live in Canada maybe it might be easier to transfer the loan to a Canadian bank instead and have them pay it off?
Hope that helps.

vreddy

Jul 4, 2017
I declared mine on the goods to follow list until I can figure out what to do with it. It's still financed so I'm looking at options. I might not even export it.
I had to describe make and model, and provide VIN number at POE.
Since you live in Canada maybe it might be easier to transfer the loan to a Canadian bank instead and have them pay it off?
Hope that helps.
Thanks for the reply.

So there will be no questions if I declare the car in " goods to follow"? so that, I can drive the car in Canada with US insurance? and later when I paid off the finance, I can register in Canada, correct?

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Thanks for the reply.

So there will be no questions if I declare the car in " goods to follow"? so that, I can drive the car in Canada with US insurance? and later when I paid off the finance, I can register in Canada, correct?
I don't think that would be an issue. I think you get like 90 days to change your registration and plates.
I would also check with the insurance company to see if you're covered in Canada.

vreddy

Jul 4, 2017
I don't think that would be an issue. I think you get like 90 days to change your registration and plates.
I would also check with the insurance company to see if you're covered in Canada.
yes, I called insurance company and my car covered in Canada and I am just worried about Canadian border.

As I said, my wife came to Canada on her visit visa and the car is in Canada.

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
yes, I called insurance company and my car covered in Canada and I am just worried about Canadian border.

As I said, my wife came to Canada on her visit visa and the car is in Canada.
I would declare as goods to follow then work on clearing the loan. Once you have the title, I would cross over to US side and begin the export process, then import into Canada.

canacani

Star Member
Mar 4, 2010
LANDED..........
30-03-2013
thanks so much for the help :)
Sorry. Note that your car is valid on US insurance in Canada if you are still residing in the same state and place that is in the US file. Otherwise in case of a need treat the insurance as null and void. You cannot register your car without the original title and form 1. Other things you need are safety and import clearance. Hope it is not an exported one on the VIN or it is another 6% extra.

smarties66

Feb 5, 2018
Hi, instead of starting a new thread, I'm going to piggy back this one since my situation is similar.

Talked to my car loan company and they won't allow me to cross border with my car. I could pay off the balance but I wouldn't get the title in time. Unless I refinance with another bank but not sure if they would issue a new title (quicker) or ask the previous lander to send them the old one (no time advantage really)

Does anyone know if I could cross the border without importing it (not mentioning that I'm moving permanently to Canada especially since I'm still technically on a H1-B visa) and then come back to import it once I have the title? Also, I heard that exporting the car is not essential unless you intend to return to the US, is that true? Thanks

vreddy

Jul 4, 2017
Hi, instead of starting a new thread, I'm going to piggy back this one since my situation is similar.

Talked to my car loan company and they won't allow me to cross border with my car. I could pay off the balance but I wouldn't get the title in time. Unless I refinance with another bank but not sure if they would issue a new title (quicker) or ask the previous lander to send them the old one (no time advantage really)

Does anyone know if I could cross the border without importing it (not mentioning that I'm moving permanently to Canada especially since I'm still technically on a H1-B visa) and then come back to import it once I have the title? Also, I heard that exporting the car is not essential unless you intend to return to the US, is that true? Thanks
yes, My wife bought the car to Canada in October, 2017 and she declared her car (for tax exception) and the car is still under finance for USA bank. I think you should be Ok to drive in Canada with your US number plate and Licence for few months.

I would suggest, once you clear the finance and have title on your name, then you can register on your name in Canada and apply for personal loan

smarties66

Feb 5, 2018
yes, My wife bought the car to Canada in October, 2017 and she declared her car (for tax exception) and the car is still under finance for USA bank. I think you should be Ok to drive in Canada with your US number plate and Licence for few months.

I would suggest, once you clear the finance and have title on your name, then you can register on your name in Canada and apply for personal loan
Thanks for the quick response vreddy. I just called the insurance and they will cover me in Canada until the end of my policy here, which is a relief. Once I get title released, I can import. Thanks.

One question remaining, is it essential to export it then?, especially since it would have to stay at least 3 days in the US and I must send documentation in advance.

Apr 4, 2018
Need your help friends-

I am in the same boat. Landed in Canada in Sept 2017, Declared the car in goods to follow list and drove the car to Canada from USA. I am driving the car with US plates eversince in Canada. But i was told by someone recently that if i get into any trouble on road, cops could impound my car and can built a case against me for evading taxes/duty on the vehicle import. But my problem is that I have a leased vehicle from USA, and the lease will not be up unitl April 2019. I posted an ad to transfer the lease to someone, I got few interested people but rightfully so, they want to see and test drive the car before they takeover the lease. My main concern is that if i drive it back to usa will USA border agents will give me any trouble? Secondly, the lease takeover process takes more than 4-5 weeks so i would have to bring the car back to canada till that time but i am afraid canadian border agents will not let me take the vehicle to canada without importing it since i landed more than 6 months ago and have been living in canada ever since.
What if i can have a us citizen friend drive my car from usa to canada, will that work?

vreddy

Jul 4, 2017
I
Need your help friends-

I am in the same boat. Landed in Canada in Sept 2017, Declared the car in goods to follow list and drove the car to Canada from USA. I am driving the car with US plates eversince in Canada. But i was told by someone recently that if i get into any trouble on road, cops could impound my car and can built a case against me for evading taxes/duty on the vehicle import. But my problem is that I have a leased vehicle from USA, and the lease will not be up unitl April 2019. I posted an ad to transfer the lease to someone, I got few interested people but rightfully so, they want to see and test drive the car before they takeover the lease. My main concern is that if i drive it back to usa will USA border agents will give me any trouble? Secondly, the lease takeover process takes more than 4-5 weeks so i would have to bring the car back to canada till that time but i am afraid canadian border agents will not let me take the vehicle to canada without importing it since i landed more than 6 months ago and have been living in canada ever since.
What if i can have a us citizen friend drive my car from usa to canada, will that work?
I don't think cops would pull over

I drive (alone) to USA with my Wife's car (which still has US plates), and I had a questions like why did you have US plates, why you didn't transfer the vehicle etc. I would not suggest you to drive alone with US plates car

Apr 4, 2018
I

I don't think cops would pull over

I drive (alone) to USA with my Wife's car (which still has US plates), and I had a questions like why did you have US plates, why you didn't transfer the vehicle etc. I would not suggest you to drive alone with US plates car

Thanks for your reply Vreddy. Yes thats the same situation i am trying to avoid but even if i found somebody to assume the lease in the US, i still need to take the car there so that they can take a test ride. and the lease transfer process takes 4-6 weeks, so i would need to bring the car back for that amount of time. I am kind of stuck. Any suggestions based on your experience.?
When you drove your wifes car, did they make you import it or just gave you hard time and still let you drive the car in canada?

vreddy

Jul 4, 2017
They didn't gave me any really hard time but they do keep on asking me some simple questions like "why your left USA ?", why she didn't registered car in Canada etc.

I said, she recently immigrated to Canada and we need do paper work to import car to Canada, so I am reading some forums and had called to both Canada and USA immigration.