Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
besson3c said:
Creating an EIN shouldn't affect your taxes as a sole proprietor or single person LLC, those taxes are filed as personal income just as you would without an EIN. In fact, sole proprietors and single person LLCs can file their taxes using their SSN, the EIN is optional.

Be prepared to be exposed to a TON more acronyms and terms... EEI, USSPI, ITN, ultimate consignee, HTS number, etc. Here is a guide to using AES Direct, to give you a taste (in case you haven't gotten into this yet):

https://aesdirect.census.gov/download/userguide/AESDirect_User_Guide_05-28-2014.pdf
I just tried to "LIKE" this post! lol.. wow ... too much Facebook!

I got my EIN # today and I will start the process with AESdirect when I drive up to Canada on 11/20 and on.

I called my port today and they told me (since I am passing the port on the way back to NYC) to stop by drop off my title and fill out the paperwork so that the 72 hour clock starts and then I can drive up and everything will be ready for me to export. He wasn't sure about AESdirect but told me that they could tell me when I dropped off my title if it was necessary. I am still going to be ready just in case.

Can a shipment be done in 72 hours on AESdirect??

besson3c

Jan 23, 2014
You can submit a shipment as soon as you learn how and your input passes all validation, you'll receive your ITN immediately after submission.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
besson3c said:
You can submit a shipment as soon as you learn how and your input passes all validation, you'll receive your ITN immediately after submission.
Perfect Thank You

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Mariac819 said:
Can a shipment be done in 72 hours on AESdirect??
from what i was told by the officer at the border, they won't accept the paperwork without the ITN# that comes from th AES system. so, you will need to do the aes thing first, then drop off the paperwork, so hopefully you don't run into an issue if you don't set it up before dropping off the papers. officer o'connor is the officer who handles exports, and officer adams is who i talked to.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
rhcohen2014 said:
from what i was told by the officer at the border, they won't accept the paperwork without the ITN# that comes from th AES system. so, you will need to do the aes thing first, then drop off the paperwork, so hopefully you don't run into an issue if you don't set it up before dropping off the papers. officer o'connor is the officer who handles exports, and officer adams is who i talked to.
I trust what you are saying is correct. The person I spoke to was a bit "ummmmm" ... if you know what I mean and O'connor wasn't there. But I will call back and get a hold of him. I honestly think its best to just do the damn AES. I mean I already got the EIN. I might as well jump in. Bring it all together. What is the worse they can say? Oh you didn't need it! lol

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
ok, well i called the regulations number and had a bit of a conversation.

while i know getting an EIN isn't difficult or time consuming, my concern is whether it will be used against me tax wise in the future. turns out, according to the supervisor in regulations, it won't. IRS is aware that individuals will need to do this for exporting vehicles, and supposidely are working to "change the language" about EINs to reflect this new regulation. also, apparently it also has to do with them not being able to use social security numbers to indentify exporters.

I was told that if we know someone who is already registered with the AES system, then we can have them initiate the export and be identified as the USPPI, which i may be able to do. i will certainly keep you updated about what i decide to do, and whether i need your answers to the quiz!

i agree it seems rather ridiculous and another piece of beaurocratic bs to navigate!
I will be moving in 2015 so I have been doing a lot of reading on this subject. I personally looked at the AES Direct site a few weeks ago and its quite "intimidating" like one post put it. Based on my research, the easiest way to go about this process is hiring an auto moving company-they'll handle the bureaucracy. I saw a post here that recommended a company called Ways Auto - the poster seemed very happy and satisfied. Of course, this depends on what your relocation budget dictates but it relieves you of the headache.

Otherwise, my impression of the entire process is that once you complete the AES Direct bit, the rest is straightforward.
Please keep up the updates, they're very helpful. Personally I appreciate it.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
next2015 said:
I will be moving in 2015 so I have been doing a lot of reading on this subject. I personally looked at the AES Direct site a few weeks ago and its quite "intimidating" like one post put it. Based on my research, the easiest way to go about this process is hiring an auto moving company-they'll handle the bureaucracy. I saw a post here that recommended a company called Ways Auto - the poster seemed very happy and satisfied. Of course, this depends on what your relocation budget dictates but it relieves you of the headache.

Otherwise, my impression of the entire process is that once you complete the AES Direct bit, the rest is straightforward.
Please keep up the updates, they're very helpful. Personally I appreciate it.
it's not necessary to pay a company a lot of money to export the car for you. all that's needed is to find a freight forwarder or shipper who uses the AES Direct system, and pay them to intiate the export in the system. someone on here mentioned they found a company that will do it for $60. I am sure with a little bit of googling, it will be easy to find companies that do this.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
This company information was shared with me.

However, I have not called or researched them yet.

http://uscanadaautotransport.com/

I am not endorsing them!

JayPinNC

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
Mariac819 said:

uscanadaautotransport dot com

I am not endorsing them!
I'm not endorsing them either, only because I haven't yet used them - and may not have the chance. However they came highly recommended to me.

On a side note, if you have a vehicle with a recall for which there is no remedy - BE VERY CAUTIOUS. There are NO exceptions in the RIV process for your car. Yes, you can import it and park it in your driveway, but until the recall is fixed, you will not get clearance from RIV to register your car.

Case in point: My '04 Toyota Corolla. I have a recall (passenger side airbag inflator module). There is no remedy. There may not BE a remedy for at least 18 months. RIV doesn't want to hear it. Transport Canada doesn't want to hear it. Toyota doesn't care. So I either bring my car, and let it sit until there's a remedy - or I sell it here in the U.S.

The ironic part is that the SAME car with the SAME recall is on Canadian roads as I write this. It can be bought, sold, registered and driven without issue. Yet, for some reason, registering the car after import is NOT allowed - all because of the recall.

Aryaanp

Jan 16, 2015
Hello Besson,
I am in the same exact situation as you were in last year with the car and need to reverse he incorrect import clearance dine by CBSA and recorded at RIV.

You mentioned in an earlier post that a notarized letter did it for you.
Could you please provide me with the complete details on how to proceed - i.e. Where to start and what steps to follow, whom to call and also if you had any update on the $200 possible fee.

Best.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
Mariac819 said:

http://uscanadaautotransport.com/

I am not endorsing them!
Updating on this. I contacted them and they told me that they DO NOT initiate shipments on AES direct for people who are driving across the boarder. They have to be actually shipping the car for you. So disregard this information.

JayPinNC

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
This is the company I used. I just exported-imported my car today.

http://www.aa-auto.com/

The company worked out fine. Was about $65. Best part? I didn't have to learn AES Direct AT ALL.

Worth. Every. Penny.

I'll try to post a new thread with my export-import experience.

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
besson3c said:
Hello, we have a problem and really need some sound advice...

We were originally planning on importing our vehicle from the US, but decided against doing this since the process proved to be a living nightmare, particularly on the US side of things which has changed recently. Instead, we opted to leave our car in the US and buy a Canadian car.
Your mention of the recent change, are you referring to the new ITN number requirement? I picked one up by email from a local broker for free in about two hours. It was really no hassle at all.