Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
rhcohen2014 said:
is that the crossing near watertown, ny? the thousand island bridge? i don't know how i missed the info about exporting there! omg, thank you - just bookmarked it!
Yes~ That Is where I cross all the time! :) You are welcome.

besson3c

Jan 23, 2014
For those that care, as it turns out we are able to cancel the import, it just requires a notarized letter from somebody in the US stating that the car is there. What is up-in-the-air is whether we still have to pay their $200 fee, but this is still much better than having to somehow arrange an export of a car that isn't in the country.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
yes, and i finanlly got in touch with the export office at alexandria bay. turns out our friend is correct. we need to sign up for aes direct to obtain an itn#, and that's the only way the export can be initiated. the officer DID tell me that particular office will accept a fax of all the paperwork, and it doesn't have to be hand delivered.

i sent an email to the AES Direct support because there's no way for an individual to register. it requires you to input a company name and federal tax number.

The officer said this is all new as of October 2nd, and it has been full of issues already! so here's hoping i hear back something from AES, if not, guess i'm not exporting.

any idea what happens when you import WITHOUT exporting?

edit: here is the response from AES direct:
"In order to register with our website you will need to get an EIN from the IRS. The company's information will be your own information. If you need further assistance you may want to contact Regulation in Census. They can be reached at 800.549.0595, option3."

So besson, did you get an EIN in order to register on the system?

besson3c

Jan 23, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
yes, and i finanlly got in touch with the export office at alexandria bay. turns out our friend is correct. we need to sign up for aes direct to obtain an itn#, and that's the only way the export can be initiated. the officer DID tell me that particular office will accept a fax of all the paperwork.

i sent an email to the AES Direct support because there's no way for an individual to register. it requires you to input a company name and federal tax number.

The officer said this is all new as of October 2nd, and it has been full of issues already! so here's hoping i hear back something from AES, if not, guess i'm not exporting.

any idea what happens when you import WITHOUT exporting?

edit: here is the response from AES direct:
"In order to register with our website you will need to get an EIN from the IRS. The company's information will be your own information. If you need further assistance you may want to contact Regulation in Census. They can be reached at 800.549.0595, option3."

So besson, did you get an EIN in order to register on the system?

Yes, I happened to have an EIN for my business, but my business has absolutely no relation to anything remotely relating to shipping crap, so I figured this was simply needed to pacify the requirements of this system and provided it just to see how far I could get.

I was thinking of starting a blog providing all of the answers to the AES Direct Quiz and a how-to for export, because this was a pretty dreadful experience. Please keep us informed with what you decide to do, I'm curious to hear from you whether or not you decide to proceed.

besson3c

Jan 23, 2014
As far as what penalties exist for not exporting, I have no idea, but it doesn't seem wise to mess around with this stuff.

Forcing AES Direct on everybody might be a way of ensuring that professional exporters have continuous employment.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
ok, well i called the regulations number and had a bit of a conversation.

while i know getting an EIN isn't difficult or time consuming, my concern is whether it will be used against me tax wise in the future. turns out, according to the supervisor in regulations, it won't. IRS is aware that individuals will need to do this for exporting vehicles, and supposidely are working to "change the language" about EINs to reflect this new regulation. also, apparently it also has to do with them not being able to use social security numbers to indentify exporters.

I was told that if we know someone who is already registered with the AES system, then we can have them initiate the export and be identified as the USPPI, which i may be able to do. i will certainly keep you updated about what i decide to do, and whether i need your answers to the quiz!

i agree it seems rather ridiculous and another piece of beaurocratic bs to navigate!

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
I am extremely upset right now.

1. I can't sell my car in the USA. I just paid this one off. I would lose so much money. I HAVE to figure this out.
2. None of this makes any sense to me. I don't even know what all those acronyms stand for.
3. I guess I will have to start trying to get that EIN # thing and figure out the system.

I don't understand why we have to take a quiz and register for a system for a one time use. That is absurd.

I would greatly appreciate the answers to the quiz - if you are willing to share them with me as well.

Thank you for making us aware of this.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
Call me crazy but when I go to the IRS website to apply for an EIN# - I do not fall under any of those categories. :-\ ... I don't have a business. This truly is a nightmare.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Mariac819 said:
Call me crazy but when I go to the IRS website to apply for an EIN# - I do not fall under any of those categories. :-\ ... I don't have a business. This truly is a nightmare.
you can just use your name as a business name. if it asks to specify what "type" of business, just choose sole proprietorship. it's been years since i've had to do it, so i'm not sure what it asks for. you can also call to get one issued over the phone, at least they used to do that.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Mariac819 said:
2. None of this makes any sense to me. I don't even know what all those acronyms stand for.
it's not necessary to know what the acronyms "stand for". they are the terms used on the site and in the paperwork. im not even sure the system tells you what they actually mean. you just need to understand when to use them. the regulations number will help.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
rhcohen2014 said:
it's not necessary to know what the acronyms "stand for". they are the terms used on the site and in the paperwork. im not even sure the system tells you what they actually mean. you just need to understand when to use them. the regulations number will help.
Yes I just went to the IRS website and read up about EIN. When you apply under individual it still asks what type of business it is. So I will call the number to make sure I pick the right category because there isn't an "other" option. Like you, I am worried this will affect my taxes later on. It seems straight forward after doing all the reading (which I just did in the past 45 mins lol). I just think its stupid we have to pass a certification Quiz. That seems very silly!... Well off we go to doing this! lol

Thank you for all the information - I will be making a lot of phone calls tomorrow!

besson3c

Jan 23, 2014
Creating an EIN shouldn't affect your taxes as a sole proprietor or single person LLC, those taxes are filed as personal income just as you would without an EIN. In fact, sole proprietors and single person LLCs can file their taxes using their SSN, the EIN is optional.

Be prepared to be exposed to a TON more acronyms and terms... EEI, USSPI, ITN, ultimate consignee, HTS number, etc. Here is a guide to using AES Direct, to give you a taste (in case you haven't gotten into this yet):

https://aesdirect.census.gov/download/userguide/AESDirect_User_Guide_05-28-2014.pdf

besson3c

Jan 23, 2014
Mariac819 said:
Yes I just went to the IRS website and read up about EIN. When you apply under individual it still asks what type of business it is. So I will call the number to make sure I pick the right category because there isn't an "other" option. Like you, I am worried this will affect my taxes later on. It seems straight forward after doing all the reading (which I just did in the past 45 mins lol). I just think its stupid we have to pass a certification Quiz. That seems very silly!... Well off we go to doing this! lol

Thank you for all the information - I will be making a lot of phone calls tomorrow!

Let me know if I can help. Like I said, I think I figured out AES Direct pretty well. At least, I received confirmation that my EEI was valid and received. If my car was in the US at the time and within 72 hours of my move I *think* I would have been fine.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
Thank you!

I'll be in Canada but will be in the USA 72 hours before I land so I should be ok. My car will have NYS plates / insurance until export anyway. I would just bring it into Canada as a visitor. Come back to move, wait 72 hours - then cross over to export / land. Does that sound right?

besson3c

Jan 23, 2014
Mariac819 said:
Thank you!

I'll be in Canada but will be in the USA 72 hours before I land so I should be ok. My car will have NYS plates / insurance until export anyway. I would just bring it into Canada as a visitor. Come back to move, wait 72 hours - then cross over to export / land. Does that sound right?
Yup