+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

National Nursing Assessment Centre NNAS

Sep 1, 2019
Nigeria
Category........
You will want to read all of the posts in this thread and then you will have a better understanding of what to expect. But the brief version is:

CNO will ask you to provide information on your nursing work experience. They will use this to determine whether your experience is enough to consider you to have met the education requirement. This could take an undetermined amount of time. Months for sure. If your work experience was in India it is not likely they will consider you to have met education requirements.

They will ask you to take the IENCAP. This exam is a full day and costs $500. If you pass then you will have met the education requirement and can then move forward with the other eligibility items, including taking the NCLEX-RN exam. The IENCAP is difficult to get a spot in. They only offer the exam about 8 times maximum per year. Enrol as soon as enrolment opens. Attend the free workshop run by HealthForce Ontario. After IENCAP you will get your result in about 8-10 weeks.

If you do not pass IENCAP then you will have to do more school. If by this point you haven't worked as a nurse for more than 3 years, you are screwed and will have to take the full nursing degree again likely.
Hi,
I will entering Canada in few months on work Permit, I'm a Registered nurse .

After NNAS assessment report, can one immediately start practicing in Canada?

Abigail08

May 2, 2019
Hi friend, I'm from Nigeria too ,coming to Canada in few months, I'm a Registered nurse in Nigeria. Are you already in Canada? I will like to connect with you beyond this forum for guidance as someone whose ahead in the process.
Hello! Yes I’m in Canada already. I like to connect with you too..

Sep 1, 2019
Nigeria
Category........
Hi! I’m also from the Philippines.. I have applied to NNAS already on May 2019. You have to pay and complete the application before you can get the forms. English is waived for the NNAS application but not in CNO. Although, CNO might waive the English requirement if you have completed a Canadian diploma program or employment in Canada verifying your English language as means of communication in your workplace. I hope this helps.
Are you from Philippine or Nigeria?

Reactions: Abigail08

Maceyhdez

Apr 26, 2019
Any US nurse who had NNAS experience. It appears horrible.
I did ADN and RN-BSN passed my NCLEX what this people will compare have no ide
It does appear horrible. I have been "ready for review" since MAY! Supposedly it will be done by September 11. (Fingers crossed) I graduated with ADN first, and then went back for my BSN at University of Texas. I'm worried about the percentage of comparability. When I get results I'll update you.

gnt_home

Star Member
May 29, 2019
It does appear horrible. I have been "ready for review" since MAY! Supposedly it will be done by September 11. (Fingers crossed) I graduated with ADN first, and then went back for my BSN at University of Texas. I'm worried about the percentage of comparability. When I get results I'll update you.
That’s too slow my docs were delivered last Monday let’s see if they will be done before Feb

Maceyhdez

Apr 26, 2019
That’s too slow my docs were delivered last Monday let’s see if they will be done before Feb
Its definitely a slow process. Every time I have called the deadline has been extended. This last time I was given the explanation that although my application said ready to review the "authentication" process had not been completed until June and it would be 12 weeks from that date (roughly Sept 11).
I started this process on January 11 of this year. And for me one of the more annoying things is without the nursing license I have 407 pts for express entry. I'm so close, but I can't get it all done until this license is in place and I can start applying for jobs.

Maceyhdez

Apr 26, 2019
NNAS does not assess nursing work experience. They ONLY assess your nursing education. The provincial licensing body will be interested in your nursing work experience AFTER you have completed NNAS. There is no way for you to become a nurse in Canada without going through the NNAS process, unless you start in the beginning and complete an entire BScN at a Canadian university. Yes NNAS can take up to one year just to receive the Advisory Report.
So why then do they want the work experience? I had to take employer forms to all my past employers and put the number of hours I'd worked and in what capacity. If they don't need this or evaluate it, do you have any insight in why they ask for it?

gnt_home

Star Member
May 29, 2019
Its definitely a slow process. Every time I have called the deadline has been extended. This last time I was given the explanation that although my application said ready to review the "authentication" process had not been completed until June and it would be 12 weeks from that date (roughly Sept 11).
I started this process on January 11 of this year. And for me one of the more annoying things is without the nursing license I have 407 pts for express entry. I'm so close, but I can't get it all done until this license is in place and I can start applying for jobs.
Want to catch me up here, I don’t think we need a license for Express entry a normal ECA will work

Maceyhdez

Apr 26, 2019
Want to catch me up here, I don’t think we need a license for Express entry a normal ECA will work
I have the ECA, but I don't have a job offer. I'm currently applying for jobs not in nursing but so far no luck. I was naive in thinking that the process wouldn't be this complicated since it's the same NCLEX-RN. Live and learn.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
So why then do they want the work experience? I had to take employer forms to all my past employers and put the number of hours I'd worked and in what capacity. If they don't need this or evaluate it, do you have any insight in why they ask for it?
Because they eventually send all of that information as a package to the nursing body that you are applying to (results of assessment and nursing work history). The nursing licensing body will use it, but NNAS doesn't include it in your assessment. A nurse that has worked 5 years doesn't get more 'points' than one who has worked for 1 year, because it's only the education that is assessed by NNAS.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Hi,
I will entering Canada in few months on work Permit, I'm a Registered nurse .

After NNAS assessment report, can one immediately start practicing in Canada?
No, you'll have to apply to the licensing body in the province where you want to work. If you have NNAS completed already, expect to wait at least 6 months to get your license, if they grant you a license. Unfortunately if you were educated in the Philippines or Nigeria you may have to take more courses or do an exam before you can get your license.

D.J.

Star Member
Feb 22, 2017
Hello
I wrote my IENCAP last month, wondering how long does it take to get my result Nd if I won’t get score which I need what will be the next step do I need to go back to school or I can take any courses.? Nd if anyone can suggest me for college for it as well.

Thank you