+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nail the Challenge of Getting Reference Letter from Current Employer!!

Shubhdeep1994

Aug 23, 2017
Best option is your manager or HR department. If you can't get them, than a colleague you worked with is the next best option. Try and use company letterhead/template if possible and get a scan of your colleagues ID or business card as well.

NB: I'm absolutely no expert on this, and I'm only advising from what I have read on this forum. Please do your own further reading/research on the matter.
Ok.. thanks for advising..

Shubhdeep1994

Aug 23, 2017
Best option is your manager or HR department. If you can't get them, than a colleague you worked with is the next best option. Try and use company letterhead/template if possible and get a scan of your colleagues ID or business card as well.

NB: I'm absolutely no expert on this, and I'm only advising from what I have read on this forum. Please do your own further reading/research on the matter.
Hey @calky360 and other members..
Does visa officer verify the reference letter? If yes, whether from contact details mentioned in reference letter or directly from HR deptt.? Pls Advise.

kanu

Feb 26, 2015
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Finally got my letter today from my current company from HR. Had to get an approval from my manager so had to butter him up. Hope he does not realize that I already have an ITA and not just thinking to migrate.
Thanks for this useful post. Helped a lot.

Shubhdeep1994

Aug 23, 2017
Hello guys.. need some help here..
I need some advice on following matter
My officer has issued me reference letter without explicitly detailing my duties, but it mentions that I'm performing duties and responsibilities as "my designation" under "my controlling office name & address". And my deptt. has a published manual that details duties of "my designation". Now if I support such reference letter with such manual explicitly detailing duties for "my designation", Will this be sufficient?
Pls advise. I'll be really grateful.

WeSee

May 24, 2018
Shanghai
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Shanghai
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2018
Doc's Request.
09-05-2018
I am struggling to get mine too..Around 75 days left to gather all the doc's

singsand

Star Member
Feb 17, 2017
AOR Received.
12-06-2017
Hi All,

Need one help. What should be the best approach for work experience of 6 year in diffferent noc codes.
Do i have to show wrk ex in same noc code to claim workex points? Or is it applicable to claim across noc codes.
Secondly can i show only 3 yrs of workex and get the letter rather than arranging all?

kartnite

May 31, 2018
Delhi NCR/Chennai
For those who are looking for a reference letter format, I have drafted one and used this for me as well. This is in line with the requirement that has been mentioned in the OINP Application Guide (http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNP_EE_CAPITAL.html). Please feel free to tewek it to meed your requirement.

Reference Letter Format

Date: _____________

To Whom it May Concern

This is to certify that Mr. ____________ (Name) is currently employed with __________ (Company Name) in ___________ (Location, Country).

Details of his employment are given below:
• Designation:
• Date of Joining:
• Employee ID:
• Type of Employment (Full time/permanent/part-time):
• Hours of Work/Week:
• Department:
• Reporting Manager:
• Annual Salary:

Duties and responsibilities handled by ___________ (Name) are as follows:

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

For (Company Name)

<Signature of the Referee> <Company Seal>
<Name & Designation of the Referee>
<Contact No. and Email of the Referee>
Thanks heaps for sharing this.

I believe this format is still relevant (given that the post is dated 2016)?

SatyamP

May 12, 2018
HOW TO GET/REQUEST REFERENCE LETTER FROM CURRENT EMPLOYER?

Reference Letter from employer plays a very important role as the document to prove your work experience for migration purposes. Many people have raised the issue on this forum that they are unable to get reference letter(s) from their employer for migration. I would like to highlight some points in this regard which worked for me and might as well work for you guys. After all you can give it a try, and if it works for you, good for you. If you have explored better ways of addressing this issue, please mention it here, so that others can also learn and approach it in a manner which will help them

Requesting a reference letter is an art, it all depends on your rapport with your manager/supervisor. If I were you, I would follow the steps given below, after all you are not moving to a competitor, you are only trying for a better life, which is not wrong at all.

1. Win Confidence - If you can win your manager's confidence, then you can let him know this over a causal chat. The best way to approach is in the form of asking your manager's advise on you moving to another country. Even if you do not like the current job, never ever do the mistake of complaining and citing it as the reason for migration. Instead, try to relate it with your personal aspirations, ambitions and quality of life and what you want to do with your life. If you ask for advise, it is an indirect way of flattering the manager and it will also make him feel that you consider him as a mentor, but do not overdo it :). This approach will definitely work, because we humans by our very nature love to advise others :). Listen to his views on the same, do not get demotivated in case he does not see immigration as a good way to better one's life. In fact, it is his view, and you have anyway made up your mind to migrate. After all, you used this approach only to put this situation to him. If you are successful in this approach, then you have laid the foundation

2. Request Reference - Next ask him whether he would be willing to refer you in case you plan to migrate in future, never give him an indication that it is immediate, otherwise he will feel that you have made up your mind to move and the thoughts of replacing you would be running in his mind. You can give an indication about it and also assure your manager that you will be around for at least a year, so that you safeguard your job even if Canada does not go through as expected. If you put it this way, he will be more than happy and willing to refer you. But sometimes, even if he is willing to refer you, he may not have the right to issue a letter, so that is where the next step comes into picture.

3. Leverage Authority/Position - If you are successful in doing the above, you have crossed 50% of the hurdle. The next important step is to convince HR to issue a letter in the required format. This is a very crucial step, so leverage your manager's authority/position and request your manager to speak to HR on your behalf and convince them about your requirement and also let him assure HR that the whole process would take at least a year (keeping buffer in mind :) ) and you would stick around for the said time being. Yes, this is the difficult part of assuring them, but you need to make a commitment (at least verbally) to stick around - if you need the letter badly, this is the least that you can do. This works in most of the cases, as they know that you may leave sometime in future and if they have to find a replacement, they know when to start the process. If this step does not work, then, from step 2 move to the step below.

4. Letter from Manager - If HR refuses to give you a letter, then ask your manager to issue you a letter on white paper (it should cover all the requisite points), along with a copy of his visiting card and company ID card and get the letter notarized. Submit it along with a Letter of Explanation (LOE).

LOE should cover the following points.
- State the reason why you cannot get a reference letter from employer, if you have any evidence to support you statement, please mention it and also attach it along with the letter.
- In absence of the letter, mention what proactive steps you have taken to prove your work experience.
- Mention the list of documents which you are submitting, in the absence of the reference letter.
- Request the Case Officer to consider your case in light of your situation and also in terms of the proactive steps taken by you to submit best alternative documentary evidence.

All the best! :)
Hello,

Thanks for posting details notes.

We have managed to get one that is system generated and digitally signed. It has all the key information such as -Employed since, full name and emp. ID, no. of hours/week, current designation, current responsibilities - all of this on letter head having company's address and contact mentioning date and ref. letter number.

2 queries -
1. It has digital signature - which means I can't combine the pdf with others if I need to upload some other document eg. salary slips/compensation letter etc. How do I sort this ?

2. Since it a standard letter generated by system, the reason for getting it is provided as higher studies which is mentioned at the end of letter. Well, this is an extra and irrelevant line in the letter - will this be a problem ?

Through this we could avoid all HRs and other unwanted things.

Should I do something else instead ?

Please advice and thanks !

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
Hello,

Thanks for posting details notes.

We have managed to get one that is system generated and digitally signed. It has all the key information such as -Employed since, full name and emp. ID, no. of hours/week, current designation, current responsibilities - all of this on letter head having company's address and contact mentioning date and ref. letter number.

2 queries -
1. It has digital signature - which means I can't combine the pdf with others if I need to upload some other document eg. salary slips/compensation letter etc. How do I sort this ?

2. Since it a standard letter generated by system, the reason for getting it is provided as higher studies which is mentioned at the end of letter. Well, this is an extra and irrelevant line in the letter - will this be a problem ?

Through this we could avoid all HRs and other unwanted things.

Should I do something else instead ?

Please advice and thanks !
1. You use online tools like Small PDF to merge multiple PDFs or else, you can take a colour printout of the reference letter and scan it along with rest of the documents as a single PDF.

2. That is OK. You can explain that in the LOE.

akila868

Jul 25, 2017
Hi @Stanlee,

I have a clarification. My currenct designation is Assistant Manager and I am the head of an operations unit. Most probably I will be promoted to Manager grade within next two months.

I am applying under 1212 - Supervisors, finance and insurance office workers,

1. Will my designation be a problem, since I am heading a unit?
2. Almost all job duties listed in the NOC are being done by me and even more, so if I have like 19-20 job duties listed in my reference letter, would that be too much?
3. All my duties are same even though my grades changed from a supervisor to manager, so do I need to have separate letters for each designation? is it okey that list all designations in the same letter and get only one?

Thank you in advance.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
Hi All,

Need one help. What should be the best approach for work experience of 6 year in diffferent noc codes.
Do i have to show wrk ex in same noc code to claim workex points? Or is it applicable to claim across noc codes.
Secondly can i show only 3 yrs of workex and get the letter rather than arranging all?
No, you do not have to necessarily show all your work experience to be in the same NOC, unless it actually falls under the same NOC. Also, you can claim points for all your work experience (under different NOCs) as long as they fall under NOC type 0, A or B. Please note, among all your NOCs, the primary NOC should be the one in which you have worked for at least one year (1560 hours) to qualify.

As far as CRS is concerned, you will get maximum points for 3 years of work experience. However, please note you will also be assessed against FSW 67/100 minimum points requirement. In case of FSW 67/100 points assessment, you get maximum points for 6 years of work experience. Please check this link to know more http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-factors.asp.

Reactions: Kim_kabayan

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
Hi @Stanlee,

I have a clarification. My currenct designation is Assistant Manager and I am the head of an operations unit. Most probably I will be promoted to Manager grade within next two months.

I am applying under 1212 - Supervisors, finance and insurance office workers,

1. Will my designation be a problem, since I am heading a unit?
2. Almost all job duties listed in the NOC are being done by me and even more, so if I have like 19-20 job duties listed in my reference letter, would that be too much?
3. All my duties are same even though my grades changed from a supervisor to manager, so do I need to have separate letters for each designation? is it okey that list all designations in the same letter and get only one?

Thank you in advance.
1. More than designation, when NOC is selected, the duties and responsibilities should be a close match. So, the designation would not be a problem.
2. No, it wont be too much.
3. Mention all the designations and the period for each, but you can have one common set of duties and responsibilities.