+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nail the Challenge of Getting Reference Letter from Current Employer!!

ankie

Star Member
Oct 13, 2017
Hello Ankie,
Thank you for the response. Are you sure notarization of the manager email is not needed? I was going through few other threads, where it says it is required. So a bit confused now..
It is preferable indeed but more so in the case of where the colleague is giving in writing along with signature. But in case of email from official email id which is corroborated with the business card (if possible add scan of his office ID card as well), then there should not be any issue with the verification officer! (but then as all this stuff is workaround only, so actually depends completely on discretion of the verification officer)

WoundedTiger

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
Delhi
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
03-02-2018
IELTS Request
06-01-2018
Experts pls comment

I have over 11 years of experience and it goes like this
Mon YY
Dec 05-Aug 07 Job 1 28 months
Mar-08-Jan 10 Job 2 14 months
Jan 10- April13 Job 3 39 months
May13 - Feb 15 Job 4 21 months

Break for education
Apr16- Jul17 Job 5 15 months
Jul17-Present Current job

In order to take points for more than 3 years of experience (read CRS score)..is it okay to just show the experience in red to avoid getting multiple reference letter.

Also Job 3 & 4 were with same parent organisation but in Job 3, the company was just branch office of regional headquarters in Singapore and Job 4 was full fledged indian company. I have shown them as separate cos as I exited the branch office company and than got the offer letter from local indian company. Would that be the correct way to show experience i.e. as in different organisations.

sundar17feb99

Apr 30, 2017
Chennai - India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-06-2017
Nomination.....
05-01-2018
AOR Received.
25-01-2018
IELTS Request
R9L8W6.5S6.5
Med's Done....
09-02-2018
Passport Req..
20-03-2018
Experts pls comment

I have over 11 years of experience and it goes like this
Mon YY
Dec 05-Aug 07 Job 1 28 months
Mar-08-Jan 10 Job 2 14 months
Jan 10- April13 Job 3 39 months
May13 - Feb 15 Job 4 21 months

Break for education
Apr16- Jul17 Job 5 15 months
Jul17-Present Current job

In order to take points for more than 3 years of experience (read CRS score)..is it okay to just show the experience in red to avoid getting multiple reference letter.

Also Job 3 & 4 were with same parent organisation but in Job 3, the company was just branch office of regional headquarters in Singapore and Job 4 was full fledged indian company. I have shown them as separate cos as I exited the branch office company and than got the offer letter from local indian company. Would that be the correct way to show experience i.e. as in different organisations.
IRCC doesn't concern our period of unemployment.
Keeping that in my mind, i would opt to mention Job3 and 4 since both would fall under same NOC, I presume.

You should be okay if you mentioned Job3 alone, but before making any alterations, use CRS calculator to look for an impact on FSW and CRS scores.

Reactions: WoundedTiger

Shubhdeep1994

Aug 23, 2017
Hey guys.. need your help here.. :-
I am working in a state run corporation in Punjab. (For last one year)
1. Do I need No Objection certificate from my deptt. to apply into EE?
2. In govt. deptt.(like one in which I'm working) Is it fine if I get reference letter from my controlling authority/immediate superior bcz there is no such post as HR manager etc. ?
Please advise. Thanks.

hope2018

Champion Member
Mar 14, 2018
Hey guys.. need your help here.. :-
I am working in a state run corporation in Punjab. (For last one year)
1. Do I need No Objection certificate from my deptt. to apply into EE?
2. In govt. deptt.(like one in which I'm working) Is it fine if I get reference letter from my controlling authority/immediate superior bcz there is no such post as HR manager etc. ?
Please advise. Thanks.
1. No 'no objection' letter needed.
2. You can but if not on company letter head then notarize it. And attach supervisor details.

Ese2014

Mar 11, 2018
Calgary
App. Filed.......
20-07-2018
AOR Received.
20-07-2018
IELTS Request
24-03-2018
Med's Done....
13-07-2018
HOW TO GET/REQUEST REFERENCE LETTER FROM CURRENT EMPLOYER?

Reference Letter from employer plays a very important role as the document to prove your work experience for migration purposes. Many people have raised the issue on this forum that they are unable to get reference letter(s) from their employer for migration. I would like to highlight some points in this regard which worked for me and might as well work for you guys. After all you can give it a try, and if it works for you, good for you. If you have explored better ways of addressing this issue, please mention it here, so that others can also learn and approach it in a manner which will help them

Requesting a reference letter is an art, it all depends on your rapport with your manager/supervisor. If I were you, I would follow the steps given below, after all you are not moving to a competitor, you are only trying for a better life, which is not wrong at all.

1. Win Confidence - If you can win your manager's confidence, then you can let him know this over a causal chat. The best way to approach is in the form of asking your manager's advise on you moving to another country. Even if you do not like the current job, never ever do the mistake of complaining and citing it as the reason for migration. Instead, try to relate it with your personal aspirations, ambitions and quality of life and what you want to do with your life. If you ask for advise, it is an indirect way of flattering the manager and it will also make him feel that you consider him as a mentor, but do not overdo it :). This approach will definitely work, because we humans by our very nature love to advise others :). Listen to his views on the same, do not get demotivated in case he does not see immigration as a good way to better one's life. In fact, it is his view, and you have anyway made up your mind to migrate. After all, you used this approach only to put this situation to him. If you are successful in this approach, then you have laid the foundation

2. Request Reference - Next ask him whether he would be willing to refer you in case you plan to migrate in future, never give him an indication that it is immediate, otherwise he will feel that you have made up your mind to move and the thoughts of replacing you would be running in his mind. You can give an indication about it and also assure your manager that you will be around for at least a year, so that you safeguard your job even if Canada does not go through as expected. If you put it this way, he will be more than happy and willing to refer you. But sometimes, even if he is willing to refer you, he may not have the right to issue a letter, so that is where the next step comes into picture.

3. Leverage Authority/Position - If you are successful in doing the above, you have crossed 50% of the hurdle. The next important step is to convince HR to issue a letter in the required format. This is a very crucial step, so leverage your manager's authority/position and request your manager to speak to HR on your behalf and convince them about your requirement and also let him assure HR that the whole process would take at least a year (keeping buffer in mind :) ) and you would stick around for the said time being. Yes, this is the difficult part of assuring them, but you need to make a commitment (at least verbally) to stick around - if you need the letter badly, this is the least that you can do. This works in most of the cases, as they know that you may leave sometime in future and if they have to find a replacement, they know when to start the process. If this step does not work, then, from step 2 move to the step below.

4. Letter from Manager - If HR refuses to give you a letter, then ask your manager to issue you a letter on white paper (it should cover all the requisite points), along with a copy of his visiting card and company ID card and get the letter notarized. Submit it along with a Letter of Explanation (LOE).

LOE should cover the following points.
- State the reason why you cannot get a reference letter from employer, if you have any evidence to support you statement, please mention it and also attach it along with the letter.
- In absence of the letter, mention what proactive steps you have taken to prove your work experience.
- Mention the list of documents which you are submitting, in the absence of the reference letter.
- Request the Case Officer to consider your case in light of your situation and also in terms of the proactive steps taken by you to submit best alternative documentary evidence.

All the best! :)
Thank you. This was helpful

Reactions: Stanlee

Deepesh1712

Sep 2, 2016
Hi All,

I would highly appreciate if anyone could help me with my query.

I am applying through EE FSW where I have mentioned 3+ years of Indian work experience in my profile. I got the ETA as my score was 486.

Job1:- 11 months
Job 2 :- 2.4 years

For Job 2, I have all the required docs ,reference letter so that is sorted. However, for Job 1, I had to abscond as My manager was resolute of me to serve the notice period and I couldn't do so as I had the immediate offer from Job 2.

Now , neither the HR nor the manager from Job 2 can issue me the reference letter. I have the joining letters, payslips, and termination letter which highlights my tenure dates, salary etc. I can also get a letter from one of my Senior colleague who is still employed there.

Kindly tell me how can I take this forward?. What documents should I submit to justify my 11 months employment at Job 2?

Please help me guys. Thank you for your assistance !!

calky360

Star Member
Nov 23, 2017
I've read in a few places that you should include a photocopy of your managers business card with the reference letter. How important is this? Is it absolutely necessary?

One other question, if CIC aren't happy with the documents that you provide them, will you get rejected all together, or will they ask you for more information/verification?

Thanks.

saravsingh1

Oct 15, 2014
India
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Appreciate your resoponses....I am a recent Commerce graduate from Delhi University. and working full time in accounting field for 1 year, and if I assume score 8 Bands each in IELTS, I get decent score in CRS calculator of about 460, do you think I have chances of getting Invitation soon?

Mar 22, 2018
Hello,

Many thanks to anyone who is willing to help me with the questions below.

My employer is not willing to provide any reference letter.
1) Should I get the reference only from my immediate supervisor?
2) I do not want my supervisor to know about my Canada plans. So I am planning to get it from my colleague/friend in my company. Will that be fine and sufficient.?
3) My friend does not have business card. Can I get a copy of his company ID card instead of business card.
4) While getting the letter attested, should it be on all pages or the final page where the referring person signs.

Shubhdeep1994

Aug 23, 2017
Hello guys need some help here...
Does visa officer check with the company about reference letter? If yes, through contact details mentioned on reference letter and id attached or directly through company's hr deptt. ?
Pls advise. Thanks.