+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nail the Challenge of Getting Reference Letter from Current Employer!!

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Stanlee said:
If I remember it correctly, yes.
Thanks.

I already have a skill letter from my company that lists my responsibilities with too many tech jargon. My employer, as a matter of policy, issues the skill letter only once for an employee on their letter head. I know that it is not in CIC format and doesn't contain anything matching with what is listed in NOC responsibilities that I am targeting. Just to get an opinion, I sent that letter as is to NOC Canada id, but they couldn't suggest a NOC based on it, and asked to use my judgement to figure out a suitable NOC or send them what goes in to job advert for my position along with the type of company. I obviously do programming (targeting NOC 2173 or 2174) and is a big IT company and their core work is IT related, so I am fine with whatever I am going to claim. I believe NOC Canada looking for high level responsibilities in a plain English format.

Based on an earlier suggestion in this forum, I was asked to get another letter that matches with the responsibilities mentioned in NOC site as a lead statement from the supervisor. I am going to do that any ways.

I would need some help on the LOE strategy. In the LOE, can I say that the employer issues the letter only once, and the letter issued is not in CIC format, and submit the employer provided letter in letter head along with the notarized supervisor letter? I have an old email that says that the company issues the skill or responsibilities letter only once which I could give as a proof for my claim, but the email has a supervisor name with whom I am not in touch. I was planning to get the letter from my earlier supervisor with whom I have a good rapport, who is also two designations above me. So I don't want to include that email as a proof for one time issuance policy. I couldn't find any policy page in their website that says this too.

Any thoughts on how to tackle this? I somehow need to push the letter provided with the company along with the supervisor letter with a convincing explanation for the second letter.

Thanks!

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
DEEPCUR said:
Thanks.

I already have a skill letter from my company that lists my responsibilities with too many tech jargon. My employer, as a matter of policy, issues the skill letter only once for an employee on their letter head. I know that it is not in CIC format and doesn't contain anything matching with what is listed in NOC responsibilities that I am targeting. Just to get an opinion, I sent that letter as is to NOC Canada id, but they couldn't suggest a NOC based on it, and asked to use my judgement to figure out a suitable NOC or send them what goes in to job advert for my position along with the type of company. I obviously do programming (targeting NOC 2173 or 2174) and is a big IT company and their core work is IT related, so I am fine with whatever I am going to claim. I believe NOC Canada looking for high level responsibilities in a plain English format.

Based on an earlier suggestion in this forum, I was asked to get another letter that matches with the responsibilities mentioned in NOC site as a lead statement from the supervisor. I am going to do that any ways.

I would need some help on the LOE strategy. In the LOE, can I say that the employer issues the letter only once, and the letter issued is not in CIC format, and submit the employer provided letter in letter head along with the notarized supervisor letter? I have an old email that says that the company issues the skill or responsibilities letter only once which I could give as a proof for my claim, but the email has a supervisor name with whom I am not in touch. I was planning to get the letter from my earlier supervisor with whom I have a good rapport, who is also two designations above me. So I don't want to include that email as a proof for one time issuance policy. I couldn't find any policy page in their website that says this too.

Any thoughts on how to tackle this? I somehow need to push the letter provided with the company along with the supervisor letter with a convincing explanation for the second letter.

Thanks!
In case you are going to submit the letter which you sent NOC Team, it might as well be the same case with CIC also due to the technical terminologies. However, since you say that you can get a letter from a supervisor, please ensure that the letter issued by the company and the one given by the supervisor talk about the same duties and responsibilities - one with jargons and another one in plain English. About the letters you can explain them in an LOE.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Stanlee said:
In case you are going to submit the letter which you sent NOC Team, it might as well be the same case with CIC also due to the technical terminologies. However, since you say that you can get a letter from a supervisor, please ensure that the letter issued by the company and the one given by the supervisor talk about the same duties and responsibilities - one with jargons and another one in plain English. About the letters you can explain them in an LOE.
Looks like I need carefully craft a bridging draft between my existing letter, NOC duties and form a new letter. Hope it works out.

Thank you so much.

Nov 8, 2016
Quick question?

Is the letter of reference for job required for both the primary applicant and the the spouse as well? Both of us can get it but if it's not required for the both of us, we might as well focus on getting it right for the primary candidate instead of spreading ourselves thin.

In our EE points table, we've claimed 50 points for CRS - Skill Transferability - Foreign Work Experience but there is no such category for spouse?

Please help.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
maverickpradyut said:
Quick question?

Is the letter of reference for job required for both the primary applicant and the the spouse as well? Both of us can get it but if it's not required for the both of us, we might as well focus on getting it right for the primary candidate instead of spreading ourselves thin.

In our EE points table, we've claimed 50 points for CRS - Skill Transferability - Foreign Work Experience but there is no such category for spouse?

Please help.
You do not get any points for spouse's foreign work experience. So for PR perspective the letter is not required, however, if you are able to get the letter try to get it as you can use it for future job applications post landing.

Ankit77

Nov 16, 2016
Does a scanned letter from employer work ?
I am here in Canada and will probably ask a colleague to follow up with employer in India on my behalf and send me a scanned copy.

SBarwal

Nov 3, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In my case, for previous employers reference letters, email ID and contact number of signing person is not available. But all are on company letter head with company phone number and fax no. on it..

Is it ok or I need to do something extra?

Thk

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
Ankit77 said:
Does a scanned letter from employer work ?
I am here in Canada and will probably ask a colleague to follow up with employer in India on my behalf and send me a scanned copy.
Yes, you need to submit only soft copy as part of eAPR submission.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
SBarwal said:
In my case, for previous employers reference letters, email ID and contact number of signing person is not available. But all are on company letter head with company phone number and fax no. on it..

Is it ok or I need to do something extra?

Thk
Should be fine.

chakaz

Nov 19, 2013
hello.. i have a question about the "personal activities since 18 years old". My wife has been invited to apply for PR through EE BC pnp.. she has all supporting documents. Our problem now is in my "personal activities since 18 Years old" section as a dependent spouse in her PR Application. In my past work experience, i need to provide employment certificates right but the problem now is one of the company i worked for no longer exist and am getting real hard time locating the owner. So im thinking of just submitting a Letter of explanation, considering its a work experience outside canada, no points derived from it since am just a dependent spouse.. WOULD THIS BE OK? Please help, Thank you very much guys.

aldoraine

Sep 21, 2016
DEEPCUR said:
I already have a skill letter from my company that lists my responsibilities with too many tech jargon.
I have a similar question. My Employer issued a Support Letter which details the Roles and responsibilities along with my work experience, however this was issued 2 years back when filing for the ICT Work Permit. However my employer is not willing to provide the same as a reference letter. So would it be fine if we are to include the Support Letter, Along with the basic Employment Verfication letter (details my salary, current role and hours of work) as my work permit was issued on the basis of the same Support letter. Apologies incase this question has been answered before.

malican

May 24, 2016
Hello - Can I use a reference letter that includes all the information required and also says something like - As such I am recommending XXX for a Management position within your organisation.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
malican said:
Hello - Can I use a reference letter that includes all the information required and also says something like - As such I am recommending XXX for a Management position within your organisation.
Yea I suppose if that is the standard text they submit.

Nov 29, 2016
Good day All,

Please, i need your help. My current employer do not address reference letter to "Whom it May concern", they insist i give them an address that can be used. I am confused on which address to give them. Any ideas please!!!!!!! on who they can address it to.

Thanks

rahul_im4u001

Sep 7, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
US Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2016
AOR Received.
30-12-2016
Med's Done....
12-03-2017
Hi all,

Should the reference letter have generic details w.r.t to general software engineer duties as per the NOC code (without any project specific details) or it could also have references to internal company projects and frameworks (like how we mention our projects in personal resume)