+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nail the Challenge of Getting Reference Letter from Current Employer!!

rahul_im4u001

Sep 7, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
US Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2016
AOR Received.
30-12-2016
Med's Done....
12-03-2017
I worked at a company xyz for 3 years and held two positions. I joined as a Software Engg. and after two years started working as Senior software Engg.
In my express entry app, i have only one entry for this employer and mentioned my title as Software Engineer with duration as 3 years. Now when filing eAPR what should i do:
1. Have two different entries in work history for this employer with different titles and durations (2 years and 1 year). Also, upload a LOE stating the difference in the pre ITA app.
2. Continue with what i had before ( 1 entry for Software Engg. for 3 years).
My reference letter says the same (1 position for 3 years) and it is on company letterhead signed by manager. Also, my job offer letter, HR standard service letter has the same Software Engg. title with duration 3 years.Both these positions also have the same NOC code.

Kindly comment.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
rahul_im4u001 said:
I worked at a company xyz for 3 years and held two positions. I joined as a Software Engg. and after two years started working as Senior software Engg.
In my express entry app, i have only one entry for this employer and mentioned my title as Software Engineer with duration as 3 years. Now when filing eAPR what should i do:
1. Have two different entries in work history for this employer with different titles and durations (2 years and 1 year). Also, upload a LOE stating the difference in the pre ITA app.
2. Continue with what i had before ( 1 entry for Software Engg. for 3 years).
My reference letter says the same (1 position for 3 years) and it is on company letterhead signed by manager. Also, my job offer letter, HR standard service letter has the same Software Engg. title with duration 3 years.Both these positions also have the same NOC code.

Kindly comment.
Since all the documents including the reference letter mentions only Software Engineer, you can have a single entry. Ideally, it should have been two entries, one for Software Engineer and another for Senior Software Engineer. The letter should also mention all the positions held by you along with duties and responsibilities.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
I have a question regarding one of my reference letters.

When working in Canada I was first a sales associate and then promoted to Sales supervisor and then Team Leader.

I have entered these jobs serparately in EE even though supervisor and team leader are the same Noc Codes.

I am now drafting the reference letter for my boss to edit/sign and I am undecided as to whether to write one letter separating each job (meaning the same letter will be uploaded for each EE submission) or have three separate letters.

If I draft three separate letters, would it be reasonable to open with the following sentence:

This is to confirm that Ms xxx was a full-time permanent employee of xxxx. Her total duration of employment was xxx2013 to xxx2014; first hired as a ‘Retail Sales Associate’ before being promoted to ‘Retail Sales Supervisor’ and finally to ‘Team Leader’.

Followed by
xxx worked as sales associate 2013-2013 with salary and hours.

duties list

signed boss

or would that raise confusion?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kryt0n said:
I have a question regarding one of my reference letters.

When working in Canada I was first a sales associate and then promoted to Sales supervisor and then Team Leader.

I have entered these jobs serparately in EE even though supervisor and team leader are the same Noc Codes.

I am now drafting the reference letter for my boss to edit/sign and I am undecided as to whether to write one letter separating each job (meaning the same letter will be uploaded for each EE submission) or have three separate letters.

If I draft three separate letters, would it be reasonable to open with the following sentence:

This is to confirm that Ms xxx was a full-time permanent employee of xxxx. Her total duration of employment was xxx2013 to xxx2014; first hired as a ‘Retail Sales Associate’ before being promoted to ‘Retail Sales Supervisor’ and finally to ‘Team Leader’.

Followed by
xxx worked as sales associate 2013-2013 with salary and hours.

duties list

signed boss

or would that raise confusion?
Maybe just to be more specific you should say something like "Her duties and responsibilities remained the same throughout her employment period"

This way even if they see different titles it will be clear that the NOC and the duties were the same.

Cheers ;)

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
DelPiero07 said:
Maybe just to be more specific you should say something like "Her duties and responsibilities remained the same throughout her employment period"

This way even if they see different titles it will be clear that the NOC and the duties were the same.

Cheers ;)
Cheers big ears.

I think I have decided to go with one letter and duplicate it as it's only 3 pages, but have it very clearly separated out. (The supervisor and leader bit have the exact same duties bullet list).

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kryt0n said:
Cheers big ears.

I think I have decided to go with one letter and duplicate it as it's only 3 pages, but have it very clearly separated out. (The supervisor and leader bit have the exact same duties bullet list).
Sounds good to me :p

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
DelPiero07 said:
Sounds good to me :p
These questions are really asked for emotional support. As is the empty bottle of red next to me ;)

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kryt0n said:
These questions are really asked for emotional support. As is the empty bottle of red next to me ;)
Doesn't hurt to get a second opinion, especially from a pro like me :p

DeepDee

Nov 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DelPiero07 said:

Cheers ;)
duties and responsibilities remained same working as a "sales associate" and as a "Team Leader"? Just asking......

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
DeepDee said:
duties and responsibilities remained same working as a "sales associate" and as a "Team Leader"? Just asking......
No they didn't, they were the same for supervisor and team leader. I've got one letter but clear separate sections now :)

DeepDee

Nov 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kryt0n said:
Just feel bad for the VO who will have to read the same letter 3 times :p
:D

btw, there's a live stream event organised by WES - Creating Educational and Employment Opportunities with a Credential Evaluation.

Date: Monday, November 14, 2016
Time: 9:45 – 11:15 A.M. EST

http://knowledge.wes.org/WES-IEW-event-registration-2016.html

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I don't remember the exact dates of designations held in my previous company. I am also not sure of the exact salary that I was drawing too in every designation. It's been several years, and my company's letter just mentions last held designation, and I can recollect the last designation's salary alone as it was little before. I also cannot get any proof for old salaries apart from the notarized supervisor letter.

It looks like I would need to mention all of them while getting a letter specifically for CIC from my supervisor.

How do you guys manage this? Any rough dates would and the titles that we recall would work? Any ideas? Any samples would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
DEEPCUR said:
I don't remember the exact dates of designations held in my previous company. I am also not sure of the exact salary that I was drawing too in every designation. It's been several years, and my company's letter just mentions last held designation, and I can recollect the last designation's salary alone as it was little before. I also cannot get any proof for old salaries apart from the notarized supervisor letter.

It looks like I would need to mention all of them while getting a letter specifically for CIC from my supervisor.

How do you guys manage this? Any rough dates would and the titles that we recall would work? Any ideas? Any samples would also be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reference letter from supervisor should not have the salary mentioned in it. Salary and pay details are generally confidential and supervisor should not be vouching for the same. You can submit a letter from supervisor without salary details, for pay details, if you have bank statements, you can submit those. If anything else is missing provide any supporting document(s) for the same and explain everything in an LOE.