+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nail the Challenge of Getting Reference Letter from Current Employer!!

sappy486

Aug 21, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
22-Dec-2016
AOR Received.
09-Mar-2017
Dear Members,

Help Required.

I need employment reference letter from an Ex supervisor who is no longer working for the same employer that we worked for. I can get his reference letter but the problem is that it will not be on the letter head of the organization.

which of the below options do you suggest i should go for?

1. I can arrange a letterhead of our previous employer and get him sign the reference letter, but would it raise any questions as he is no longer working there.
2. I can convince him to give me the reference on a blank paper and get it notarized.
3. I can arrange for someone who is still working there to give me the reference letter on the letterhead. but the problem with that is that i was working on a project which has completed so the letterhead would be of the parent organization and not the project that i was working on.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
sappy486 said:
Dear Members,

Help Required.

I need employment reference letter from an Ex supervisor who is no longer working for the same employer that we worked for. I can get his reference letter but the problem is that it will not be on the letter head of the organization.

which of the below options do you suggest i should go for?

1. I can arrange a letterhead of our previous employer and get him sign the reference letter, but would it raise any questions as he is no longer working there.
2. I can convince him to give me the reference on a blank paper and get it notarized.
3. I can arrange for someone who is still working there to give me the reference letter on the letterhead. but the problem with that is that i was working on a project which has completed so the letterhead would be of the parent organization and not the project that i was working on.
1. I would advise against Option 1
2. Option 2 is OK
3. Option 3 is also OK as long as they mention the details required by CIC plus project, location of your work while you were employed by them.

banoco

Dec 24, 2016
I worked in several positions with my former employer. Since the HR refuse to provide a reference letter, I have to get the reference letter from my supervisors. But I have different supervisors for each position, shall I get the reference letter from all the supervisors? The last position was 3.5 years that fits NOC 1112, is it ok if I just provide 1 reference letter for this position, so that I only need to get 1 reference from 1 supervisor?
If reference for all positions are needed, does the letter need to include salary for each position?

sappy486

Aug 21, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
22-Dec-2016
AOR Received.
09-Mar-2017
Stanlee said:
1. I would advise against Option 1
2. Option 2 is OK
3. Option 3 is also OK as long as they mention the details required by CIC plus project, location of your work while you were employed by them.
Thankyou Stanlee. You have always been so helpful and generous in replying to issues raised.

I have one more question. If i have to get the reference letter on a blank paper from my EX line manager do i have to mention his current designation/organization under his name or the previous designation/Organization under which i was supervised?

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
sappy486 said:
Thankyou Stanlee. You have always been so helpful and generous in replying to issues raised.

I have one more question. If i have to get the reference letter on a blank paper from my EX line manager do i have to mention his current designation/organization under his name or the previous designation/Organization under which i was supervised?
In the letter mention his designation when he was your manager. Also, in brackets mention his current designation and company. Alternatively, you can get copy of his current business card and explain it in LOE along with link to his LinkedIn profile.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hi Stanlee

I have had three designations in my six years of employment for which I'm going to claim points. All designations have same noc code.

Do I need to mention each of them while filling EE profile? Or just having them in reference letter would be sufficient? My only concern in mentioning each of them in EE is that they all have been with different cities with same company. One designation even spans across two cities in India and another designation across two countries. I hardly remember the address of the residences that I lived in those cities. So in case of an ita, I was just thinking to put one permanent address for India on 10 year residence history which happens to be in my final employed city too before moving out of India.

I was suggested just to put last held designation for India and one row for another country for entire 6 year work history to create a profile. Is that okay to do so? Or do I need to break things up designation/city wise? Am I creating more burden of proof by listing all designations and cities in EE profile? Except supervisor letter, I don't have any specific docs for every designation held. In all my company official docs, only last designation has been mentioned. I don't have any proof of residence except for my primary residence too. What's the best way to fill up the employment history of EE in this case?

Thanks!

sappy486

Aug 21, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
22-Dec-2016
AOR Received.
09-Mar-2017
Stanlee said:
In the letter mention his designation when he was your manager. Also, in brackets mention his current designation and company. Alternatively, you can get copy of his current business card and explain it in LOE along with link to his LinkedIn profile.
Thank you stanlee. i can work this out.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
DEEPCUR said:
Hi Stanlee

I have had three designations in my six years of employment for which I'm going to claim points. All designations have same noc code.

Do I need to mention each of them while filling EE profile? Or just having them in reference letter would be sufficient? My only concern in mentioning each of them in EE is that they all have been with different cities with same company. One designation even spans across two cities in India and another designation across two countries. I hardly remember the address of the residences that I lived in those cities. So in case of an ita, I was just thinking to put one permanent address for India on 10 year residence history which happens to be in my final employed city too before moving out of India.

I was suggested just to put last held designation for India and one row for another country for entire 6 year work history to create a profile. Is that okay to do so? Or do I need to break things up designation/city wise? Am I creating more burden of proof by listing all designations and cities in EE profile? Except supervisor letter, I don't have any specific docs for every designation held. In all my company official docs, only last designation has been mentioned. I don't have any proof of residence except for my primary residence too. What's the best way to fill up the employment history of EE in this case?

Thanks!
Since it is the same NOC, you can mention one row for India and one row for the other country. Since the letter has details of all the designations held, you are good to go.

chonji1226

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Hi,

Just have 2 questions:

I have been working for 5 years in my current job (not within Canada), plus 2 years in my previous one. I was looking at the CRS points and it seems you get the maximum points for 3 years and above. So I'm thinking I no longer need to get a reference letter from my previous employer of 2 years. I mean it makes no difference if I get 5 years vs 7 years of work experience because I will still get the same number of points for foreign work

By the way, I'm referring to the points in the skills transferability factors. I'm applying under the CEC class, and based on my understanding foreign work has points only under the skills transferability category, correct?

Second question. Reading the previous pages, it seems I really need to specify the number of hours and duties in the reference letter. Our standard employment reference letter specifically says I am a software developer and a full time employee with my start date. Would that be enough? Full time means I'm working 8 hours a week right? And the title software developer pretty much says it all already :p

Does anyone here have an experience of submitting a standard reference letter without the hours and actual job description?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chonji1226 said:
Hi,

Just have 2 questions:

I have been working for 5 years in my current job (not within Canada), plus 2 years in my previous one. I was looking at the CRS points and it seems you get the maximum points for 3 years and above. So I'm thinking I no longer need to get a reference letter from my previous employer of 2 years. I mean it makes no difference if I get 5 years vs 7 years of work experience because I will still get the same number of points for foreign work

By the way, I'm referring to the points in the skills transferability factors. I'm applying under the CEC class, and based on my understanding foreign work has points only under the skills transferability category, correct?

Second question. Reading the previous pages, it seems I really need to specify the number of hours and duties in the reference letter. Our standard employment reference letter specifically says I am a software developer and a full time employee with my start date. Would that be enough? Full time means I'm working 8 hours a week right? And the title software developer pretty much says it all already :p

Does anyone here have an experience of submitting a standard reference letter without the hours and actual job description?
1 - Yes, anything above 3 years of foreign work experience won't add any points to your CRS.

2 - No, this is not sufficient. Job titles are irrelevant, what the officer wants to see is that the NOC you've chosen matches the duties and responsibilities of your reference letter. If you fail to provide this it will most likely lead to rejection.

Full time means at least 30 hours a week.

chonji1226

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Thank you for the reply, just a follow-up question should I just remove from my EE profile the entry about the 2 year employment from my previous job. I still have an old standard employment letter but I don't think I will be able to provide a detailed letter since it's been 5 years already since I left that company.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chonji1226 said:
Thank you for the reply, just a follow-up question should I just remove from my EE profile the entry about the 2 year employment from my previous job. I still have an old standard employment letter but I don't think I will be able to provide a detailed letter since it's been 5 years already since I left that company.
Yes, you can safely remove it.

sappy486

Aug 21, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
22-Dec-2016
AOR Received.
09-Mar-2017
Dear Members,

I have confusion in selecting the right NOC for one of my Jobs. I read about an email address somewhere on the forum where you send your query about choosing the right NOC and they help you with it. Can anyone share the email ID please.

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry FSW Outlander
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
sappy486 said:
Dear Members,

I have confusion in selecting the right NOC for one of my Jobs. I read about an email address somewhere on the forum where you send your query about choosing the right NOC and they help you with it. Can anyone share the email ID please.
Here NC-NOC-CNP-GD@hrsdc-rhdcc.gc.ca

adrlim

Nov 18, 2016
Hi All,

Just have two questions:

1. Read that its good to get company stamp on the reference letter to make it official. Is this common in Canadian companies? I'm currently working in Canada and the company doesn't have a stamp as I was told it's not common here. With my reference letter from Asia I did manage to get a company stamp

2. In my last two jobs that I stated in my application are from the same company as I got a promotion. Therefore the reference letter written by the company has both these job titles mentioned with the necessary info duties,hours, salary etc. Since CIC separates each job would it be OK to upload the same document into the two upload columns?

Thanks for your feedback.