+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nail the Challenge of Getting Reference Letter from Current Employer!!

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
rahul_im4u001 said:
Hi all,

Should the reference letter have generic details w.r.t to general software engineer duties as per the NOC code (without any project specific details) or it could also have references to internal company projects and frameworks (like how we mention our projects in personal resume)
The more personal the better IMO. I mean, keep it similar to the noc but adding more detail makes it more trust worthy.

ronakshah92

Apr 30, 2016
Hi all,

I received my ITA on 16th November.

The problem is my ex-employer isn't ready to modify the job responsibilities to match as per my NOC(1112). They're ready to give me a letter mentioning the responsibilities as per the company's Job Description(JD). I'm afraid that won't match the stated NOC to a great extent.

What should I do now? I don't want my visa application to get rejected because of this silly thing. Thanks

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ronakshah92 said:
Hi all,

I received my ITA on 16th November.

The problem is my ex-employer isn't ready to modify the job responsibilities to match as per my NOC(1112). They're ready to give me a letter mentioning the responsibilities as per the company's Job Description(JD). I'm afraid that won't match the stated NOC to a great extent.

What should I do now? I don't want my visa application to get rejected because of this silly thing. Thanks
Get a manager or a former colleague to write your duties and responsibilities. Then, get this declaration notarized.

Cheers :)

binga777

Star Member
Jun 18, 2015
A reference Letter from former colleague will work or the colleague should be currently employed with same organisation??

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hi,

I am a computer programmer. Does these responsibilities look fine for NOC 2174 (Computer programmer part):

Write, modify, and integrate SAS, SQL and Hadoop software codes for a given requirement.

Maintain existing SAS and SQL software applications by making necessary changes as per business or system requirements.

Migrate SAS software applications from UNIX and mainframe systems to distributed LINUX system and change the code as required by the underlying target system.

Identify and fix technical coding issues in the production environment and notify the appropriate stakeholders.

Prepare application development status reports, software user guide for business users, and application operational documents for software support personnel. Also work with the business analysts and system analysts in the collection and documentation of business/user requirements.[/list]

Just wanted to get an opinion if it is in sync with the NOC 2174.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
  • DEEPCUR said:
    Hi,

I am a computer programmer. Does these responsibilities look fine for NOC 2174 (Computer programmer part):

Write, modify, and integrate SAS, SQL and Hadoop software codes for a given requirement.

Maintain existing SAS and SQL software applications by making necessary changes as per business or system requirements.

Migrate SAS software applications from UNIX and mainframe systems to distributed LINUX system and change the code as required by the underlying target system.

Identify and fix technical coding issues in the production environment and notify the appropriate stakeholders.

Prepare application development status reports, software user guide for business users, and application operational documents for software support personnel. Also work with the business analysts and system analysts in the collection and documentation of business/user requirements.
DEEPCUR said:
Just wanted to get an opinion if it is in sync with the NOC 2174.
This looks "too" similar to 2174 NOC. You can take that as a template but this looks like you have just modified a few sentences from the roles given on the NOC website. Yes, this does appear to match the NOC but looks like a copy-paste with very minor editing. I would not recommend doing this.

I would suggest having at least 10 to 15 responsibilities that you have to carry out as a part of your work. Your letter should show that you performed "majority" (not all) of the roles mentioned in the NOC website.

rahul_im4u001

Sep 7, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
US Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2016
AOR Received.
30-12-2016
Med's Done....
12-03-2017
Hello all, Hope everyone is doing well.

I have reference letter from my Senior colleague on company letterhead. Do i need to notarize this as well?
I will be attaching all the other docs(HR letter, offer letter, pay slips, tax forms) etc. for this employment.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
rahul_im4u001 said:
Hello all, Hope everyone is doing well.

I have reference letter from my Senior colleague on company letterhead. Do i need to notarize this as well?
I will be attaching all the other docs(HR letter, offer letter, pay slips, tax forms) etc. for this employment.
If the letter is on the letterhead, then you do not have to get it notarized IMO.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
rajkamalmohanram said:
If the letter is on the letterhead, then you do not have to get it notarized IMO.
I'm not really sure with CIC's thinking behind all that. I understand that it is likely to be real if it has a letterhead however for one past job (absolutely not doing it for this) I Photoshop a letter head on to a plain letter. :p I just don't understand how much a picture matters ???

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
kryt0n said:
I'm not really sure with CIC's thinking behind all that. I understand that it is likely to be real if it has a letterhead however for one past job (absolutely not doing it for this) I Photoshop a letter head on to a plain letter. :p I just don't understand how much a picture matters ???
Well, that is how it is. They seem to assume that the contents on a letter with the name of the company and address are more authentic. However, if they somehow find out that the applicant has doctored the letter, then that would amount to misrepresentation - 5 year ban. Totally not worth the risk IMO.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
rajkamalmohanram said:
Well, that is how it is. They seem to assume that the contents on a letter with the name of the company and address are more authentic. However, if they somehow find out that the applicant has doctored the letter, then that would amount to misrepresentation - 5 year ban. Totally not worth the risk IMO.
Oh indeed and it's not worth a risk here. But still, you know what i mean.

Still trying to convince my old manager to get my plain paper letter notorised... Without that it's mostly useless. Still a few months to worry about that though.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
kryt0n said:
Oh indeed and it's not worth a risk here. But still, you know what i mean.

Still trying to convince my old manager to get my plain paper letter notorised... Without that it's mostly useless. Still a few months to worry about that though.
Yea, I understand what you mean.

Good luck with your letter. All the very best!

KimPositive

Star Member
Jun 6, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just because many people here ask what the reference letter needs to have and what not:

Proof must include a reference letter from former employer and pay stubs. The reference letter must:

be an official document printed on company letterhead
include your name, the company’s contact information (address, telephone number and e-mail address), the signature of your immediate
show all positions held while employed at the company
include these details: job title, duties/responsibilities, job status, the dates you worked for the company, the number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits.

Good luck everybody

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
rajkamalmohanram said:
My guess, for certain ppl who don't have enough experience and have no way to get into Canada otherwise, it worth the risk to fake experience and documents. Not something unusual. Read Immigration news few years back, you will find a lot of "interesting" information... Ppl faked work experience, education credentials and even English language tests.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
pfse said:
My guess, for certain ppl who don't have enough experience and have no way to get into Canada otherwise, it worth the risk to fake experience and documents. Not something unusual. Read Immigration news few years back, you will find a lot of "interesting" information... Ppl faked work experience, education credentials and even English language tests.
Yes, they can do that however, if they find this out anytime (even after getting citizenship), they could be stripped of citizenship/PR status and deported. Misrepresenting education/work/language credentials is totally not worth it if you think about it - You have to live your life in fear.