+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My study term starting in F2018 but PR renewal application still in process

Wait4life

Star Member
May 26, 2018
Hi, I have applied for PR renewal application in January on Humanitarian & compassionate grounds. I am loosing time now. Almost after 3 months my term will start and I don’t want to miss my studies. I am in india.

My story: I came to canada in 2010 with my family but due to an accident with my grandmother. My family returned to india after spending a month. I was 13 years old at that time. Now i am almost 22 years and will finish my bachelors this june. I already got offer of admission of 6 Canadian universities. I need PR card to further finalize my travel and studies.

My timeline is below
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on January 22, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on April 7, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on April 7, 2018.
I haven’t heard anything from them yet.

Any help or advise is appreciated.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, I have applied for PR renewal application in January on Humanitarian & compassionate grounds. I am loosing time now. Almost after 3 months my term will start and I don’t want to miss my studies. I am in india.

My story: I came to canada in 2010 with my family but due to an accident with my grandmother. My family returned to india after spending a month. I was 13 years old at that time. Now i am almost 22 years and will finish my bachelors this june. I already got offer of admission of 6 Canadian universities. I need PR card to further finalize my travel and studies.

My timeline is below
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on January 22, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on April 7, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on April 7, 2018.
I haven’t heard anything from them yet.

Any help or advise is appreciated.
Hi

There is nothing you can do but wait. Given that you waited until you were almost 22 to apply, there is a higher chance of refusal.

Reactions: Wait4life

Wait4life

Star Member
May 26, 2018
Hi

There is nothing you can do but wait. Given that you waited until you were almost 22 to apply, there is a higher chance of refusal.
I was doing my continuous studies which is bachelors. Now I am finishing my bachelors. I further want to pursue masters in Canada.

I couldn’t come when I was 18 because I got admission in bachelors in India.

There is no way I could get my PR renewed?

Moreover, Is there anyway I can expedite my pr renewal process at this stage.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I was doing my continuous studies which is bachelors. Now I am finishing my bachelors. I further want to pursue masters in Canada.

I couldn’t come when I was 18 because I got admission in bachelors in India.

There is no way I could get my PR renewed?

Moreover, Is there anyway I can expedite my pr renewal process at this stage.
You could have come at 18 but made the choice to stay in India. There is a much higher chance of approval if a person applies as soon as they turn 18.

There is no expediting. You need to wait.

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
For minors, H/C maybe works. They are dependants and they have no choice. But very interesting, how can you submit your application when you were still continuing your bachelor study in India? You have to submit your application physically in Canada. If so, let's know if you got reported or not. And you left after your submitting right?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
For minors, H/C maybe works. They are dependants and they have no choice. But very interesting, how can you submit your application when you were still continuing your bachelor study in India? You have to submit your application physically in Canada. If so, let's know if you got reported or not. And you left after your submitting right?
This is a PRTD app with a claim of H&C grounds. It cannot be submitted "physically in Canada".

Wait4life

Star Member
May 26, 2018
Someone did on my behalf using representative forum from within Canada. I was unable to comeback due to my bachelors continuity. But as I told earlier, now i am almost finished with my bachelors and ready to start study term coming this fall.

This is a PRTD app with a claim of H&C grounds. It cannot be submitted "physically in Canada".
This is a proper renewal application not a PRTD application.

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Someone did on my behalf using representative forum from within Canada. I was unable to comeback due to my bachelors continuity. But as I told earlier, now i am almost finished with my bachelors and ready to start study term coming this fall.

This is a proper renewal application not a PRTD application.
How do you submit a renewal PR card application based on H/C? I agree with canuk that 1, you apply for PRTD based on H/C from India and wait; 2, Fly to US and enter Canada thru land PoE and show CBSA your expired PR card. You will be let in with a report.

Wait4life

Star Member
May 26, 2018
How do you submit a renewal PR card application based on H/C? I agree with canuk that 1, you apply for PRTD based on H/C from India and wait; 2, Fly to US and enter Canada thru land PoE and show CBSA your expired PR card. You will be let in with a report.
I applied on H&C reason. I was minor when returned to India. I don’t want to take a chance of getting reported.

I already mentioned my H&C reason in first post.

Why would you apply for renewal when you aren't even in Canada?? You needed to apply for a PRTD.
I didn’t knew anything like this. Is there a rule regarding it? We have to apply PRTD first then PR renewal application? Please advise

Last edited:

Wait4life

Star Member
May 26, 2018
I came across processing time of Humanitarian and compassionate ground cases which is 30 months but PR renewal processing time is 117 days.

Which should I consider as I applied PR renewal based on H & C?

Please advise

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I came across processing time of Humanitarian and compassionate ground cases which is 30 months but PR renewal processing time is 117 days.

Which should I consider as I applied PR renewal based on H & C?

Please advise
That is for people applying for PR status through H&C, which doesn't apply to people that already have PR.

You have applied for PR card renewal without meeting RO, so your renewal app will go to secondary review to further process H&C reasons. The 117 days is not relevant to you as that is for regular applications with people meeting the RO. There is no time standard for secondary review process, some people wait many months or up to a year or sometimes longer. There is no way to budget an expected time.

Also you should note that even if your H&C reason is accepted and PR card renewal app is approved, IRCC would then most likely demand you pick up the card in person from their local office. Since you can't board a plane to Canada without PR card you would need to then apply for PR TD from your local visa office to board plane, or come to Canada via USA land border.

What you are supposed to do in these situations, is apply for PR TD on H&C basis. If H&C reason is accepted and PR TD issued, you use it to travel directly to Canada and then apply for PR card renewal since H&C reason was already accepted.

Reactions: Wait4life

Wait4life

Star Member
May 26, 2018
That is for people applying for PR status through H&C, which doesn't apply to people that already have PR.

You have applied for PR card renewal without meeting RO, so your renewal app will go to secondary review to further process H&C reasons. The 117 days is not relevant to you as that is for regular applications with people meeting the RO. There is no time standard for secondary review process, some people wait many months or up to a year or sometimes longer. There is no way to budget an expected time.

Also you should note that even if your H&C reason is accepted and PR card renewal app is approved, IRCC would then most likely demand you pick up the card in person from their local office. Since you can't board a plane to Canada without PR card you would need to then apply for PR TD from your local visa office to board plane, or come to Canada via USA land border.

What you are supposed to do in these situations, is apply for PR TD on H&C basis. If H&C reason is accepted and PR TD issued, you use it to travel directly to Canada and then apply for PR card renewal since H&C reason was already accepted.
Thank you for reply.

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Thank you for reply.
It is in your best interest to apply for US Visa and then go to Canada via the land border. Since you are already a PR, you are legally allowed to enter Canada i.e the border officers cannot deny you entry. This means you will most definitely make it in time for your University. There are a few things you might have to worry about to make your case even more so in your favour -- read have your H&C reasons approved -- however you will without a doubt be allowed to enter the country, to have that reiterated. If you want more details on this, just let me know. I can provide a full write up on the process. I have myself gone through this process. Further, I have also consulted a lawyer for my case, and albeit that by no means means I am a substitute for a lawyer however I can hopefully give a general insight into the process.