Interview........
None
Passport Req..
25-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2017
LANDED..........
03-10-2017
1: Thanks again, is it safe and reliable to open a bank beforehand and transfer the money? Moreover, why did you chose not to stay with Scotia? On more is, how long does it take to get your debit and unsecured credit cards? Appreciate your help. :)

2: Why would we need a mailbox?
Hey there,

1. Though I don’t have first hand experience with transferring money beforehand I don’t see any reason why this wouldn’t be safe. Personally, it did not matter so I carried cash and travel cArds and later transferred funds directly (online) from my Indian bank account to my Canadian one.
Also, no special reason just that TD was close by where I was living at the time.
Setup an appointment online, Walked in, completed everything within 30 mins and walked out with accounts, (unsecured) credit and debit cards.

2. Just in case you need a “static” address to receive documents, bank letters & statements, people have reported receiving PR cards, health cards etc. Having a mailbox would help in having a consistent address while one changes diff apartments/ hotels/ Airbnbs etc.. until you settle down and find a permanent place.
At least this is what I did.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Reactions: aleersurahio

Vick12

Aug 2, 2018
Hi @RookieMistake I will be moving to Canada as an immigrant from India as a skilled worker in couple months time. I wanted to know if the immigration officer questions you about the details on the Copr or they merely check it at their end and ask you to sign on the two copies. Thanks

Soch

Jul 9, 2019
Hi! Any immigration formalities that have to be completed at the Delhi Airport for permanent residents? Or they just have to be completed at the Toronto Airport? Only the usual international travel procedures are to be sorted at Delhi Airport right?

Reactions: Deyo

Soch

Jul 9, 2019
I got COPR and now making flight booking. Will transit visa be required if i have a 11 hour and 25 minutes layover at the Frankfurt airport and another 10 hours and 10 minutes layover at the Lisbon ( Portela ) airport? Please suggest the best site for making booking which has flexi booking facility and also what all documents i need to get from India before landing Canada like i heard about the international driving permit?
Hi. You should contact the respective Embassies/High commission offices in India to know if a transit visa will be required. That's what I did as I too have a layover at Paris airport. Have a look at this link to get an idea of the documents required:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/prepare-life-canada/border-entry.html

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
Thank you,

can i do the SIN process later after I receive my PR card?
Hi,

Yes you can do SIN later, by as soon as possible.
As with SIN you would not able to open a bank account, not able to work, you can not get a mobile SIM etc.
Long story short, you need SIN for anything & everything initially.
You may apply for SIN from the airport itself, it takes hardly 5 minutes.

Just FYI: For getting the PR card, you need at least couple of weeks.

Good Luck

PatwaBobby

Star Member
Mar 7, 2019
Hi,

Yes you can do SIN later, by as soon as possible.
As with SIN you would not able to open a bank account, not able to work, you can not get a mobile SIM etc.
Long story short, you need SIN for anything & everything initially.
You may apply for SIN from the airport itself, it takes hardly 5 minutes.

Good Luck
Hey thank you very much, yes I researched, it's better do to SIN, especially if I am applying for jobs from USA

L_K_84

Star Member
Jan 3, 2019
If the first landing happens to be on a weekend (Saturday - Sunday) will the Canada Service counter be open at the airport to generate the SIN?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
If the first landing happens to be on a weekend (Saturday - Sunday) will the Canada Service counter be open at the airport to generate the SIN?
Search these forums for a precise answer, they are open half day on Saturday. Also while sin is important, it is quite easy to get it from any of the other service Canada centers. So I would not schedule flight plans based on timings of service Canada at airport.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
I heard that Frankfurt is much better than UK in terms of layover as no transit is required for Frankfurt. Please help!!
Not sure which country a citizen you're of, but Indians don't need transit Visa for Frankfurt. However it is best to confirm it with airlines since these rules change often.

nisar12345

Jan 3, 2019
Wonder if you could share, what was asked of you at the Immigration in India? What questions? Given that it’s a single entry visa and says immigrant on it? What are you expected to carry or show at the immigration of the departing country, in this case, India?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hi @RookieMistake I will be moving to Canada as an immigrant from India as a skilled worker in couple months time. I wanted to know if the immigration officer questions you about the details on the Copr or they merely check it at their end and ask you to sign on the two copies. Thanks
You are entering a port of entry, always be prepared to answer questions. If this is your first time landing (soft inclusive) you will be referred for secondary inspection, so expect even more questions on your intent, proof of funds, plans, confirmation of details, etc. Poe officer has right to refuse entry when not satisfied with your answers. At the same time, most of the folks are asked very few questions and let in with a smile.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Wonder if you could share, what was asked of you at the Immigration in India? What questions? Given that it’s a single entry visa and says immigrant on it? What are you expected to carry or show at the immigration of the departing country, in this case, India?
Just the usual stuff, truthfully answer questions for ex. Leaving for immigration, etc. Nothing out of ordinary to say the least.

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
General questions, duration of stay, why you are going, are you carrying all relevant documents etc.
Nothing required to be shown in India except the passport & visa.

Even when I landed at Pearson airport, my experience was totally different than what I thought.
POE & CBSA officers are really good, calm & don't make you panic.
They asked about the CoPR, Passport & Visa.
Questions asked were: where you are heading to for your stay, are you carrying enough funds, do you have any items arriving later on from home country?
Even you shall be cool & be prepared with the documents, that would be pretty much of it.

Good Luck

Reactions: aleersurahio