+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My landing experience at Toronto (YYZ)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is super helpful, thanks for the detailed information. I even set up my Scotia account today, so thank you for that!

I have a few questions if anyone is able to answer, apologies in advance if they have already been answered elsewhere:

1) If I'm only staying in the country for a week and ask for my PR card to be couriered to a friend's house - does anyone know if that friend has to be in the same province in which you did your landing? For example, if I'm landing in Toronto, but have a friend in BC - can I have CIC send the card to my friend in BC or would it have to be someone in Ontario?

2) I know the clock starts ticking on my needing to be in the country for 720 days in a total (so that's effectively 2 years and 2 weeks) within 5 years to maintain my PR status from the date I do my landing. If I want to apply for citizenship, can I just carry on from these 2 years and 2 weeks to complete the 3 years total (so staying for an additional 11 months and 2 weeks over and above the 2 years and 2 weeks) before I can apply for citizenship? Or does it have to be 3 years additional to the 2 years and 2 weeks?

3) Regarding bringing your belongings in to Canada duty free - I understand that the forms BSF186A and BSF186B have to be filled out. On the form it says that they are valid in case you plan to move within 1 year from the date of landing - does anyone know what happens if you don't plan to move within the 1st year? Can I still bring my belongings in duty free?

Thank you!!
1) Any address in Canada (except Quebec) will do;
2) It's 730 days in a rolling 5 year period for PR and yes you can add those days towards citizenship application;
3) those forms would be valid anytime you intend to settle in Canada for at least a year, regardless which year.

Sroyston121

Jun 4, 2018
Hi there, please can anyone help me on this stage pls.
I received my CoPR today and it’s valid till next year June 2019.
Me and my daughter planned to go to Canada for her birthday in August which is in 2 weeks time. This was planned 8 months ago, and I have a valid ETA. We both from uk British citizens.
Can I just travel to Canada for 2 weeks using the ETA and come back to uk and go back to Canada by next year May 2019 using our CoPR. Please anyone in here have any clue and would advise me pls do thank you.

pitico55

Star Member
Jul 22, 2017
Me and my daughter planned to go to Canada for her birthday in August which is in 2 weeks time. This was planned 8 months ago, and I have a valid ETA. We both from uk British citizens.
Can I just travel to Canada for 2 weeks using the ETA and come back to uk and go back to Canada by next year May 2019 using our CoPR. Please anyone in here have any clue and would advise me pls do thank you.
Once you have your COPR, you can only you it the first time you land.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
So you want to use ETA for first trip and do not want to finish landing during this trip. This is OK.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Once you have your COPR you can't land as a visitor or any other status. You need to use the COPR and the other visas are cancelled upon first landing.
He/She is not planning to finish landing formalities in first trip. He/She will finish landing formalities in May 2019 in 2nd trip.

arthurbr

Dec 6, 2017
Toronto
Once you have your COPR you can't land as a visitor or any other status. You need to use the COPR and the other visas are cancelled upon first landing.
AFAIK, this is the correct information.

chardys

Feb 1, 2017
California, USA
I did the same last year - visited Canada for a week with the ETA after I got COPR, and then did the landing several months later. They didn't ask me anything about COPR when I used the ETA. As I understand, ETA is cancelled once you are a PR - and you are not a PR until you land.

Reactions: saskapr2015

keeratsingh

Jul 3, 2017
New Delhi
@RookieMistake This is a wonderful post for the ones who are planning to land soon. However I need a clarity to a couple of questions:

1. We are a family of 3 with me being the PA. I will be landing first and my wife and kid would join me after a few months. Regarding POF, do I need to show the full amount required for a family of 3 as specified & declared at the time of landing (if at all I am asked to show at the POE) or it can be split between me and my wife (who will be travelling later)?
2. Since my wife will be travelling later, would the stuff she brings in with her be declared by me as Goods to Follow by any chance? Otherwise we are not planning to get anything from back home after we land.

TIA

Reactions: Zayynah

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
1. Full amount by Principal Applicant at the time of landing.
2. Yes, you will need to declare items to be carried by your wife as goods to follow

ulsterman82

May 24, 2014
Wow very helpful post. congrats on landing. I also went thru almost similar process last week at YYZ. But they didn't ask me anything about money and didnt staple the COPR in my passport.

I opened account in Bank of Montreal as it had one full year of free banking and no transaction charges.
Once your 12 months is up you might wanna check out other options. I've been here in Canada for over three years and I think RBC is by far the best bank but you might wanna see if TD is still offering free banking. Been with TD/BMO and now RBC. They seem to run a free Ipad offer every summer so keep an eye out for that next year. lol

fsarosh

Aug 9, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Year 2010
Med's Request
28-04-2013
Med's Done....
15-05-2013
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-2013
LANDED..........
22-01-2014
One suggestion for all the newcomers. Please keep your IELTS or proof of English language safely with you (even if it is expired) because they ask for proof of English Language like IELTS or TOEFL or your Educational certificated showing the medium of instruction during the education was English. If anybody is not having IELTS or any similar test and if the medium of instruction of his education was English, then get a letter from your college or University certifying that the medium of instruction was English. This will save you from a lot of botheration at the time of filing the citizenship application.

*** FROM AN EXPERIENCED IMMIGRANT :) ***

aphermix

Jan 5, 2017
Once your 12 months is up you might wanna check out other options. I've been here in Canada for over three years and I think RBC is by far the best bank but you might wanna see if TD is still offering free banking. Been with TD/BMO and now RBC. They seem to run a free Ipad offer every summer so keep an eye out for that next year. lol
I opened an RBC account last month which also goes free for 12 months. I am now thinking of opening a Tangerine account which is always free. Do you have any experience with them ?

msaidtopkaya

Jun 19, 2017
Thanks guys. From my experience while travelling to and within EU, the customs check was at the last stop i.e. the destination city and you don't see your baggage before that. I know that when you enter the US, first you pick up your baggage and show it to customs and then board domestic flight like @RookieMistake said. I will be flying with Turkish Airlines from Istanbul and then Air Canada from Toronto to Calgary. I am not worried but only a little bit concerned if the 3 hour layover in Toronto will be enough for all the landing formalities. I really don't expect any real problems.
[/QUOTE]

Hi sstarrgazerr,

What happened? I had a similar scenario. I have a flight From Kiev to Toronto and Toronto to St. John's and I don't want to do the immigration process in Toronto. Did you do it in your final destination?
(I have 2.5 hours between Toronto and St. John's flights)