+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My landing experience at Toronto (YYZ)

Minx

Star Member
Oct 14, 2016
Thanks Rookie for the post and sharing. Very very helpful!

I’m landing in Toronto in May - cutting it close to my visa expiry but no choice with work - and need some help / feedback please. Anyone know the answers to the below, please feel free to jump in.

1. The goods to follow - how did everyone declare their wives jewelry / watches? Current market value or did you take it to a jeweller for an estimate? Or a guestimate? All my jewelry are gifts from my parents / relatives / graduations / wedding so no receipts. Also can I have rough examples please - for example say a watch is $ 18,000 current value (not purchase price) so convert to CAD? Can I use the guestimate approach to my clothes and furniture?

2. I’m only staying until June then have to head back to wrap up everything at home before returning to Canada next year. I will use my relatives address in Mississauga for my PR card mailing. I know most ppl use a P.O. box or get it mailed to them via courier by relatives. My concern is:

- The PR card doesn’t get to me back home. I sent my bank card to my parents a few years back from Boston and they never received it. I stupidly used registered mail vs a courier (DHL/ Fed Ex etc) so worried this method doesn’t work for me? Would the couriers send the PR card if it’s in an envelope tho it won’t escape the X-ray scan of immigration etc in my home country?

3. PR card photo - not sure if I will be unlucky but should mine be rejected and I receive an email / letter stating they require 2 new photos, best to leave a stamped envelope with photos taken in Canada behind no? I read somewhere Costco would be the best place to do this.

4. Canada exit with no PR Card - Can someOne please explain their exit experience? I read the CBSA will staple the COPR to my passport as proof of landing. But won’t they flag my exit if I don’t have a PR card? Or leaving after 2.5 weeks? I’m assuming upon exit I have to stand in the - Canadian/ Legal Resident- lane? I’m just concerned this will be an issue upon exit.

Thanks all so much, look forward to yr feedback

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
1. Safest way would be get appraisal done by a Jeweler and carry it with you. Alternately, you can take colored photos of jewelry and provide guesstimate. It sometimes work and sometimes does not.

2. People courier PR cards out of Canada all the times. Chose some reputed courier company and you should be good.

3. Costco or any pharmacy.

4. In Canada, Immigration check is done only on entry and not at exit.

Minx

Star Member
Oct 14, 2016
1. Safest way would be get appraisal done by a Jeweler and carry it with you. Alternately, you can take colored photos of jewelry and provide guesstimate. It sometimes work and sometimes does not.

2. People courier PR cards out of Canada all the times. Chose some reputed courier company and you should be good.

3. Costco or any pharmacy.

4. In Canada, Immigration check is done only on entry and not at exit.
Thanks for quick reply AppNov2014NY.

1. For jewellery yes photos are required so I will be doing that regardless. What do you mean by it may or may not work ie guesstimate? Would they query me? Yes I can get it appraised but concern is CBSA may raise eyebrows with valuation ie leading to a tax.

2. Oh that’s a relief thanks!

3. Noted, will go with Costco as not familiar with anyone else and don’t want to go looking too far from my AirBnB.

4. Oh so CBSA only checks my passport upon entry not exit? Which queue would I stand in btw? Strange as I thought like Europe it’s the same. I’m flying to Boston btw so will be doing preUS immigration check.

Thanks!

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
1. Photos with guesstimate sometimes does not work and CBSA agents ask for jewelry appraisal before they stamp GTA/GTF lists. You can bring your stuff tax free as a settler.

rkuma145

Mar 22, 2017
Continuing (each post has a 10000 char limit)

Phone:

For now I've signed up for the Public Mobile service. Will see how it goes.

Talked to the guys at freedom mobile but have read many negative reviews about data connectivity problems and call drops. Their rates are very competitive though.

Public mobile SIM cards are available at Walmart, wow mobile stores and online (no tracking on delivery though). I bought it at a Walmart (was asked to pay "exact" cash. Lol. Paid by card instead).

The sim costs $11 and some change. Plans and inclusions are available on their website.

Service up until now has been good. LTE and 3G speeds have been excellent.

Weather:

It's been overcast for the past few days with intermittent showers. Not too cold and not too warm.

Hope this helps.

Open to queries or other pointers if anyone needs.

Hope you all have a wonderful time in the country.

Best Regards,

RookieMistake.
Thanks for the detailed post,I plan to do my soft landing in April 1st week,I will just be carrying clothes and my laptop and even when i shift permanently to Canada i do not plan to bring any stuff do i still need to prepare goods accompanying and goods to follow list?If yes where can i download the B4 forms.Thanks in advance.

RookieMistake

Star Member
Feb 7, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-05-2017
Doc's Request.
RPRF
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
03-05-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
None
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
26-06-2017
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
25-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2017
LANDED..........
03-10-2017
Thanks for the detailed post,I plan to do my soft landing in April 1st week,I will just be carrying clothes and my laptop and even when i shift permanently to Canada i do not plan to bring any stuff do i still need to prepare goods accompanying and goods to follow list?If yes where can i download the B4 forms.Thanks in advance.
Hi,

As for your answer - I don't think so you need to prepare any forms.
If you want to, you may refer my other post about the B4 forms - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/sample-bsf186-and-bsf186a-attached-for-ref.525057/

Many others have posted their experiences about this too - and AFAIK I don't rem anyone being questioned about these forms specifically- you may check/search on the forum, this is what I rem at the top of my head.

hope this helps :)

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hey just curious to know how did your job search end up? In which industry have you worked in the past?

akreviews

Jun 21, 2017
Hi Guys,

I'm an Indian citizen and have received CoPR on Dec 2017 with visa validity until 15-June 2018. Currently I'm in UK since past 1 week for a project and plan to stay here for next 9-10 months. I plan to do a soft landing in a week or two from now, and come back to London.

Query:
1. Is it fine to travel from London to Toronto despite of the fact that all my documentation happened from India? I guess, this shouldn't be a problem but just having cold feet :p. Any suggestions or experience of similar nature, please share?

2. I plan to visit for 3-4 days and return to London. I learnt that PR cards and SIN activation process happens at the port of arrival itself. Is this correct? If no, what is the correct info?

3. I will just be travelling with a bag carrying some warm clothes and my laptop/mobile etc. Even when I plan to permanently move to Canada (after 10-11 months) I do not have much expensive items to bring in. Will I be still required to submit any declaration forms?

N:B: I plan to give my friends home address where I want my PR card to be delivered.

If there is any soft landing experience of similar nature by any member of community, please share. :)

Thanks,
Ankit

santhkum90

Oct 17, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-09-2017
AOR Received.
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
16-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
Hi Guys,

I'm an Indian citizen and have received CoPR on Dec 2017 with visa validity until 15-June 2018. Currently I'm in UK since past 1 week for a project and plan to stay here for next 9-10 months. I plan to do a soft landing in a week or two from now, and come back to London.

Query:
1. Is it fine to travel from London to Toronto despite of the fact that all my documentation happened from India? I guess, this shouldn't be a problem but just having cold feet :p. Any suggestions or experience of similar nature, please share?

2. I plan to visit for 3-4 days and return to London. I learnt that PR cards and SIN activation process happens at the port of arrival itself. Is this correct? If no, what is the correct info?

3. I will just be travelling with a bag carrying some warm clothes and my laptop/mobile etc. Even when I plan to permanently move to Canada (after 10-11 months) I do not have much expensive items to bring in. Will I be still required to submit any declaration forms?

N:B: I plan to give my friends home address where I want my PR card to be delivered.

If there is any soft landing experience of similar nature by any member of community, please share. :)

Thanks,
Ankit
1. It is fine to travel from anywhere and will not cause any trouble.
2. If you are landing within the working hours, then yes you can get SIN number in the airport. If you are landing outside the working hours, then you have to visit the nearest Service Canada office, on the following day, to get your SIN. It is fairly straight forward and you will get it immediately. PR card activation will be done by the immigration officer, once he verifies your papers, there is no separate procedure for it.
3. I traveled with only clothes and some utensils. I did not submit any declaration forms. If there are goods to follow, then you have to submit it for tax exemption.
4. You can give any local address you want to receive your card. When you re-enter in the future, you need to have that card with you or apply for PRTD to enter in to Canada again.

akreviews

Jun 21, 2017
1. It is fine to travel from anywhere and will not cause any trouble.
2. If you are landing within the working hours, then yes you can get SIN number in the airport. If you are landing outside the working hours, then you have to visit the nearest Service Canada office, on the following day, to get your SIN. It is fairly straight forward and you will get it immediately. PR card activation will be done by the immigration officer, once he verifies your papers, there is no separate procedure for it.
3. I traveled with only clothes and some utensils. I did not submit any declaration forms. If there are goods to follow, then you have to submit it for tax exemption.
4. You can give any local address you want to receive your card. When you re-enter in the future, you need to have that card with you or apply for PRTD to enter in to Canada again.
Thank you Santhkum90 for your response. This really helped me. :)

Cheers!
Ankit

fayfeily

Star Member
Nov 24, 2014
Hi,

I want to understand more about "goods to follow" form when landing. I am new to this as well so i want to understand clearly.

When you land, you need to fill up a "goods to follow" form which should include stuffs that you carry for landing only ? or include stuffs that you carry for landing AND also stuffs that will be ship from home country ?

If i missed some items to fill in which i want to ship from home country later, will that be a problem ?

Thanks

gautamankur

Jul 30, 2017
India
Hi Guys,

Need a little help.

I got my CPR and I am planning to travel to US in August. Post US I am planning to do the landing. I am going to provide one of my friends address to IRCC for them to mail the PR card.

There are few queries I have, would be great if someone can help resolving those:

1. In my CPR the arrival city is mentioned as Toronto, do i specifically need to land at Toronto?

2. I am planning to stay in Canada for a week, and planning to travel to Vancouver and other cities..Can i travel to other cities within Canada post landing? and Is there any specific duration for which I need to stay in Canada post Landing?

Many thanks in advance people!!

santhkum90

Oct 17, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-09-2017
AOR Received.
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
16-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
Hi Guys,

Need a little help.

I got my CPR and I am planning to travel to US in August. Post US I am planning to do the landing. I am going to provide one of my friends address to IRCC for them to mail the PR card.

There are few queries I have, would be great if someone can help resolving those:

1. In my CPR the arrival city is mentioned as Toronto, do i specifically need to land at Toronto?

2. I am planning to stay in Canada for a week, and planning to travel to Vancouver and other cities..Can i travel to other cities within Canada post landing? and Is there any specific duration for which I need to stay in Canada post Landing?

Many thanks in advance people!!
1. Not necessary. If you are OINP and landing in a different province, then you can mention to the officer that you will be going there in the near future.
2. After you have landed, you can travel anywhere within Canada. You can leave Canada the same night, but to re-enter you need your PR card or PRTD document.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
2. After you have landed, you can travel anywhere within Canada. You can leave Canada the same night, but to re-enter you need your PR card or PRTD document.
Only exception is POEs at US border where you can re-enter Canada in a private vehicle just by showing Passport + COPR.

santhkum90

Oct 17, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-09-2017
AOR Received.
15-09-2017