None
Passport Req..
25-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2017
LANDED..........
03-10-2017
Hi @RookieMistake,

Thanks for such a detailed explanation. Toronto will be my POE in April. I have a silly question, perhaps someone on this thread know the answer. Since I have connecting flight to Calgary on the same day, what happens to my baggage? :) Normally, baggage is being transferred to the connecting flight automatically. How will I show it to the customs officer if so?
In most countries I've been - when there is a transfer from an intl leg to a "domestic leg" - the baggage is claimed at the first point of entry and you are suppose to recheck in what is essentially a domestic flight (Toronto to Calgary). If you give your exact routing perhaps it'll give a clearer picture.

And Yes, it does vary form airline to airline and country to country. In any case whether you claim baggage at toronto or calgary the process is same as far as CBSA is concerned.

AFAIK - I doubt in this case your baggage will be checked through to Calgary: Toronto to Calgary is a domestic flight and you will not encounter CBSA /immigration/customs any of that sort (as well as other domestic fliers) at Calgary - all that will happen in Toronto which is essentially your first stop in Canada - this is where you'll do your 'landing' formalities. So AFAIK your baggage will also need to be claimed at Toronto.

I may be wrong.

Reactions: sstarrgazerr

sstarrgazerr

Jan 9, 2018
In most countries I've been - when there is a transfer from an intl leg to a "domestic leg" - the baggage is claimed at the first point of entry and you are suppose to recheck in what is essentially a domestic flight (Toronto to Calgary). If you give your exact routing perhaps it'll give a clearer picture.

And Yes, it does vary form airline to airline and country to country. In any case whether you claim baggage at toronto or calgary the process is same as far as CBSA is concerned.

AFAIK - I doubt in this case your baggage will be checked through to Calgary: Toronto to Calgary is a domestic flight and you will not encounter CBSA /immigration/customs any of that sort (as well as other domestic fliers) at Calgary - all that will happen in Toronto which is essentially your first stop in Canada - this is where you'll do your 'landing' formalities. So AFAIK your baggage will also need to be claimed at Toronto.

I may be wrong.
Thanks guys. From my experience while travelling to and within EU, the customs check was at the last stop i.e. the destination city and you don't see your baggage before that. I know that when you enter the US, first you pick up your baggage and show it to customs and then board domestic flight like @RookieMistake said. I will be flying with Turkish Airlines from Istanbul and then Air Canada from Toronto to Calgary. I am not worried but only a little bit concerned if the 3 hour layover in Toronto will be enough for all the landing formalities. I really don't expect any real problems.[/QUOTE]

Tony20182017

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
AOR Received.
19-09-2017
I have a question here for experienced members.
I plan to go out of Canada to some country after 1 or so month of my first Canada landing.

My query is whether we need the PR card before we can travel internationally to countries we require visa? I am Indian national but need to go to a third country where Indians require visa.

Onpoint

Star Member
Sep 14, 2017
I have a question here for experienced members.
I plan to go out of Canada to some country after 1 or so month of my first Canada landing.

My query is whether we need the PR card before we can travel internationally to countries we require visa? I am Indian national but need to go to a third country where Indians require visa.
you can travel anywhere but you'll only be able to reenter Canada with a PR card or a PRTD (PR travel document). PR takes about 2 months after landing. Could be more or less - check on the CIC website for processing time. AFAIK PRTD could take longer.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

Tony20182017

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
AOR Received.
19-09-2017
you can travel anywhere but you'll only be able to reenter Canada with a PR card or a PRTD (PR travel document). PR takes about 2 months after landing. Could be more or less - check on the CIC website for processing time. AFAIK PRTD could take longer.
Thanks for your reply. I have read somewhere PR cards can take anywhere up to 10 weeks. In that case, going out of Canada is not an option for me before PR card. Because I have to only go out for 1 week.

In this scenario it would be better for me to go to this Asian country before landing in Canada, first time. Is it a problem if I go to Malaysia or any country then land in Canada directly from there( instead of my home country India)?

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
In this scenario it would be better for me to go to this Asian country before landing in Canada, first time. Is it a problem if I go to Malaysia or any country then land in Canada directly from there( instead of my home country India)?
Your COPR (confirmation of permanent residence) document will have an expiry date that you need to land in Canada by. You can do what you need to do before landing as long as your COPR is still valid when you do land. The expiry date is the earlier date of either your 1 year anniversary date of your Medical or the expiry date of your passport. Just keep in mind that you're not officially a PR until you land in Canada with the COPR.

Onpoint

Star Member
Sep 14, 2017
Thanks for your reply. I have read somewhere PR cards can take anywhere up to 10 weeks. In that case, going out of Canada is not an option for me before PR card. Because I have to only go out for 1 week.

I don't think that should be a problem but other folks have asked this question too. Just search around on this forum for answers from seniors.

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
Awesome post, thanks for sharing
I'm just getting ready for my flight and just to be sure, if someone can confirm that these are all the documents I need for landing, I'd really appreciate it:
- My passport
- both CoPR (IRCC version and my version)
- two decelerations (goods I'm bringing with me and good that are going to come later on)
I'm also gonna bring with me all the documents I used for my PR application just in case

anything else?

Thanks a lot

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@RookieMistake Thank you for detailed explanation. I want your help on below points.

I will receive my stamped passport in next 2-3 days and needs your input on below points.

1. I am a primary applicant and applied alone for PR with wife as a dependent. Can i apply for spouse (Wife's) visitor visa now and we can land together.? or it's advisable to apply for her visitor visa after my landing.
2. Can i apply for spouse sponsorship now or after my landing only.?
3. Can we apply for Visitor visa and Spouse sponsorship visa together.?
4. Can we apply for Spouse Sponsorship before my landing.?

Kindly assist me when you get free. Thank you. (@scylla @DelPiero07 - Kindly advise.)
Your post is not clear.

Karnesh

Mar 15, 2017
Category........
PNP
Your post is not clear.
Hi,

I have received PR. I am planning to apply for Spouse Sponsorship after my landing.

Just wanted to know if i can apply for Spouse Visitor Visa now and we can land together in March, 18.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I have received PR. I am planning to apply for Spouse Sponsorship after my landing.

Just wanted to know if i can apply for Spouse Visitor Visa now and we can land together in March, 18.
You should return your PR visa to the visa office and add your wife into it. Otherwise if you land alone, you might not be able sponsor your wife for immigration in the future.

Karnesh

Mar 15, 2017
Category........
PNP
You should return your PR visa to the visa office and add your wife into it. Otherwise if you land alone, you might not be able sponsor your wife for immigration in the future.
My Wife name is already attached with UCI number in my application as a dependent. (I have applied alone for PR earlier for the sake of High CRS.) Can i apply for her visitor visa before my landing or After landing is an ideal option.?

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My Wife name is already attached with UCI number in my application as a dependent. (I have applied alone for PR earlier for the sake of High CRS.) Can i apply for her visitor visa before my landing or After landing is an ideal option.?
Then why do your wife need a separate visitor visa? She's not ready to use her PR visa for landing purposes?

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
Awesome post, thanks for sharing
I'm just getting ready for my flight and just to be sure, if someone can confirm that these are all the documents I need for landing, I'd really appreciate it:
- My passport
- both CoPR (IRCC version and my version)
- two decelerations (goods I'm bringing with me and good that are going to come later on)
I'm also gonna bring with me all the documents I used for my PR application just in case

anything else?

Thanks a lot

can someone please help me out with this?