+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

!! My first 6 months in Canada !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
I don't get it guys....why you all ready to judge someone's experience as fake? That is HIS experience, his good fortune. It's not the same for everyone!

It's not easy to start from scratch in a new country, but preparation (aka cred evaluation, licensing if possible) while your file is being processed is crucial. Even contacting prospective employers before hand may be worthwhile.

Whether his story is true not, we can all learn a thing or two...

Just saying!

*Mandie*

NN74

Jun 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mandie, when you come here you will come to know the situation. Though bad but optimistic about future!

However, telling wrong info is something like misguiding the new comers. That's it should be corrected!

I dont think so that your below approach will work here in Toronto:

It's not easy to start from scratch in a new country, but preparation (aka cred evaluation, licensing if possible) while your file is being processed is crucial. Even contacting prospective employers before hand may be worthwhile.

mandiebraxton said:
I don't get it guys....why you all ready to judge someone's experience as fake? That is HIS experience, his good fortune. It's not the same for everyone!

Whether his story is true not, we can all learn a thing or two...

Just saying!

*Mandie*

Madhuri

Sep 7, 2013
KhalidSubhan said:
First of all, let me apologize for being out of the scene for a few months. Second I am very thankful to everyone for their help during the immigration process. I landed in Canada on Feb 22, 2013 and the reason of being out of the scene was to get a good idea of Canada before I advise something.

So, I landed in Feb: Toronto covered in snow. I initially stayed for 2 days in safehomestay and then moved to a shared apartment with students. I wanted to keep the expenditure low, so 425 per month including utilities per seperate room was a great offer for me. Additionally, they were very friendly and they were sharing everything except underwears lol so I was using all their utensils, pillows and blankets. I was new to Toronto and I would highly recommend something like for a single person, as there are alot of right decisions we need to take. For example, their apartment was right infront of subway station, it wasnt very expensive, the building was average with low cost, I wasnt supposed to pay the first and last month, they were willing for any type of help, they even offered to pick me from the airport but I said no. I thought they might get a better offer and would rent the room to somebody else so precautionally I stayed in safehomestay to see how things go.. but I was wrong, they were short of money as they were students but they were honest.

I took of 3 months vacation from my job in Pakistan and I thought if things wouldnt go well for me in canada, I would come back to pakistan and would plan properly and move back after an year with agood plan.

The job process was the most challenging I experienced. I got 5-10 calls per day when I began to apply but no real interviews, thats all. I was 100% in all the interviews, I downgraded my CV, talked to recruitment agencies, distributed my CV, joined social community services but no use. I wasnt tensed in a sense I had a good job back home and atleast I was safe. after 25 days of direct applies, I changed my strategy, I contacted everybody in my circle, I kept asking for references from strangers and booom:

I landed in a job on 35th day of my landing. People kept on telling me okay ask that guy, ok call that guy tell him we ABC is reffering you. The job was pretty good SENIOR NETWORK ENGINEER. It was enough for me to send a resign back home. Believe me, when I got the offer letter, I was travelling by subway, passing through kennedy station and that big canadian flag right infront of the station looked so wonderful. Yes, for the first time after my landing.

Things began to change, I got myself a good car, I shifted to an apartment of my own, I am working hard and still trying to balance my life as immigration is a rebirth and everything would be new for you.

Some tips for newcommers:
Network: this is must otherwise you might be in odd jobs even after 15 years.
First job: First job in your field is a must, spend an year of two in that job and then sky is the limit.
Odd jobs: you would work hard and would hardly earn your living
Taxi jobs: If things arent working for you, then atleast drive a cab on temp basis, you would making good and would be saving enough to spend on your skills upgradation
CIIP or other new commer job placement agencies: They would keep on asking you for volunteer programs, that means dollar 5 per day, that is weird, so network and try to get somebody refer you. 2ndly, they would screw up your CV, specially in IT. When you would apply for a job posting, the HR department would pick that CV but when the IT department would review that CV, it would be thrown in a dustbin. So work on your CV with your own brain, make it something like equally ok with HR department as well as well IT department. Some might not agree with me but this is what I have seen in my own company. And dont forget: N E T W O R K like crazies

Dont worry about the snow, get a nice jacket and you gonna be fine. Dont look at the nice apartments until you get a good job. Work on your network and get a job placement first.

Now some other things:

I prefer walmart for shopping, it has almost anything you need and its very affordable. Toronto is a wonderful city as a whole, there is always something going on, specially the weekends rock. Another plus: this city is so multicultural and finding your community wont be hard for you. If possible dont rent a basement, you would be bored and it is going to affect your energy level, which means alot during the first job hunting process.

Do let me know if you need any help. I have been an active member of this forum for years and I have been receiving a lot of messages recently. Additionally it is going to be hard for to keep track of each and every post as the first year in canada is very busy as everything is new. So I would create a new email or fb id and would share it with you, so it would be easy for me reply to everyone.

and let me thank everyone for all the help during the immigration process for 3 years.

I wish success to everyone and do remember me in prayers
Hello Khaled

Hope ur doing fine. I am soni. I'll be landing in toronto in late November. I wanted to know about the market for SAP . As in, is it possible to make an SAP career there, that is anywhere in canada. Since u work in IT, you might have sum advice. I am trained in SAP and MS Dynamics CRM. Have a background in SAP and Business analysis.

Any advice is highly appreciated......

Looking for answers from anybody who can help :)

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
NN74 said:
Mandie, when you come here you will come to know the situation. Though bad but optimistic about future!

However, telling wrong info is something like misguiding the new comers. That's it should be corrected!

I dont think so that your below approach will work here in Toronto:

That is where you are wrong....it all depends on individual situations...so how are people able to get a job before landing...I am surely not saying jobs are lined up for you when you get to Canada.
The portion you highlighted is from my own personal experience. Perhaps you may not get job whiles still out but at least you have some sort of communication going btn you and prospective emperyers. And by the way I am in the Human Sevices field and have done cred assess and even licensing while still outside Canada...
All I am saying is..everybody's situation is different and the that fact someone has not landed a job in his field in 6mnths or 1 yr after landing does not mean another person can't be lucky and get the perfect job within weeks or months after landing!

*Mandie*

Madhuri

Sep 7, 2013
MuzafferQA said:
this is so cool. First positive thing i heard after a long time. Hopefully inshaallah i wil be there in few months time, if all goes well. n hope to meet you too. :D
Seconded :)

KhalidSubhan

Star Member
Aug 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London (Previous islamabad)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
January 2009
File Transfer...
18 april, 2011
Med's Request
27th May, 2012
Med's Done....
June, 2012
Passport Req..
PPR1: 21st august 2012, PPR2: 21 sept, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
16th oct
LANDED..........
22nd feb 2013
Okay Mandie and other users with positive opinions: let me thank you first.

I was really irritated by some insulting private messages and YES OF COURSE from kiala too. No wonder, he has been doing this to every user who wanted to share something positive here.

Rather than arguing here, I preferred to stay productive and expand my circle in Canada. But believe me, last night I got a text from a close friend (we met through this forum a few years back) and he asked me to reply well to the negative comments here. I just didnt bothered to check this forum, after I felt, its gonna do nothing but just waste my time and as a result would create further confusion for those who are coming to Canada.

Let me elaborate a few facts:

1. There is no gaurantee, every immigrant would click in Canada. Yes I have seen people, struggling even after 15 years.
2. There is no such thing as an IMMIGRANT CAN'T CLICK. I have seen immigrants making wonders, with few, landing in jobs before arrival.
3. Job Market? well lets talk about it. Consider your own country - how do you click? how many people do you see with good jobs? how many in labour market? - Its the same way here, struggle, connect with people, upgrade your skills. For some it works in an instant, for some it takes time. For some it never happens.
4. So whats the point? The most important thing that I consider is to stick with your plan. Upgrade skills, as much as you can and on top of all: Network, connect, expand your circle. There are so many jobs in the market, but for the first job, you need a reference: now lets explain further: ofcourse, reference doesnt mean, you would be hired straight away. It means, you would be selected in a short queue of candidates and you have to prove you are skillful.
5. @ kiala: I just dont understand what is his problem.. if he is not happy in his career, he should be positive, he should connect with those who are successful. You never know, someone would recommend you and you would get a job of your dreams in an instant.
The most irritating thing in kiala is: he is a lier, I dont know him at all. But why am I posting this? what would I get even if a prove he is a lier? I believe, its common sense. if someone wants to evaluate him or me, he can easily search the last posts of both users and can easily judge the difference.
6. System Engineering and NEtwork engineering is in IT and its not regulated. So unlike a doctor or nurse or other engineering jobs, you dont need a license.

I wont throw any further criticism here. I believe, if someone has the guts to remain positive, face the challenges, has networking skills, he can easily make his way in Canada.

Who knows me? hmbisk knows me personally, including my office. I have talked to Qorax in the past on telephone, so he can evaluate me. I know many users personally here. Manj, rigmarole, amehmood, hotlier and many others.

I dont say canada is a heaven on earth but its not that bad as we think. If you would ask me a single approach to your dream job, I would say. NETWORK with positive people.

I would help anyone, as I had been helped by many. Now dont think I am a consultant asking for money. From help - I can help you words, I can encourage you, I can give you guidance based on my experience, I can hep you connect with my friends, and ofcourse, if I saw a job of your field, I would certainly recommend. However, to avoid irritation, I would recommend, you approach me through the old and well known users of this forum that I mentioned above. Before this post, I used to share my cell number with everyone but after this post, its getting too weird and I dont want someone to keep on bugging me with non serious posts and waste my time. There is a forum created by qorax for those who are in canada. So do connect over there, after landing. Its very helpful, you would immediately see a lot quick successes there. Plus there are some job postings over there too.

I am leaving this thread, as this is too much of a time waste in criticism but I would end this message with one last sentence:

If you wont remain positive and wont connect, you would never be happy in canada and yes, you would have a very hard time, unless a miracle happens.

God bless you all, and may kiala gets a wonderful job in his field of work too.

Thanks

muscattocanada

Star Member
May 14, 2011
muscat
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
Mar 2010
AOR Received.
APR 2010... 2nd AOR Aug 2010
File Transfer...
july 2010
Med's Request
15th Feb 2012
Med's Done....
5th may 2012
Interview........
wavied
Passport Req..
Dec 18th 2012
VISA ISSUED...
feb 23rd 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEnPnuIN218

NN74

Jun 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My dear in all your lengthy 'sermon', you did not mentioned as HOW YOU LANDED IN a SENIOR ENGINEER position, in just 35 days?

If you cant expedite, then do not make new immigrants fool!

I agree that you may land up in any engineer position in Toronto but got senior title requires at least 3-4 years Canadian experience!

KhalidSubhan said:
Okay Mandie and other users with positive opinions: let me thank you first.

I was really irritated by some insulting private messages and YES OF COURSE from kiala too. No wonder, he has been doing this to every user who wanted to share something positive here.

Rather than arguing here, I preferred to stay productive and expand my circle in Canada. But believe me, last night I got a text from a close friend (we met through this forum a few years back) and he asked me to reply well to the negative comments here. I just didnt bothered to check this forum, after I felt, its gonna do nothing but just waste my time and as a result would create further confusion for those who are coming to Canada.

Let me elaborate a few facts:

1. There is no gaurantee, every immigrant would click in Canada. Yes I have seen people, struggling even after 15 years.
2. There is no such thing as an IMMIGRANT CAN'T CLICK. I have seen immigrants making wonders, with few, landing in jobs before arrival.
3. Job Market? well lets talk about it. Consider your own country - how do you click? how many people do you see with good jobs? how many in labour market? - Its the same way here, struggle, connect with people, upgrade your skills. For some it works in an instant, for some it takes time. For some it never happens.
4. So whats the point? The most important thing that I consider is to stick with your plan. Upgrade skills, as much as you can and on top of all: Network, connect, expand your circle. There are so many jobs in the market, but for the first job, you need a reference: now lets explain further: ofcourse, reference doesnt mean, you would be hired straight away. It means, you would be selected in a short queue of candidates and you have to prove you are skillful.
5. @ kiala: I just dont understand what is his problem.. if he is not happy in his career, he should be positive, he should connect with those who are successful. You never know, someone would recommend you and you would get a job of your dreams in an instant.
The most irritating thing in kiala is: he is a lier, I dont know him at all. But why am I posting this? what would I get even if a prove he is a lier? I believe, its common sense. if someone wants to evaluate him or me, he can easily search the last posts of both users and can easily judge the difference.
6. System Engineering and NEtwork engineering is in IT and its not regulated. So unlike a doctor or nurse or other engineering jobs, you dont need a license.

I wont throw any further criticism here. I believe, if someone has the guts to remain positive, face the challenges, has networking skills, he can easily make his way in Canada.

Who knows me? hmbisk knows me personally, including my office. I have talked to Qorax in the past on telephone, so he can evaluate me. I know many users personally here. Manj, rigmarole, amehmood, hotlier and many others.

I dont say canada is a heaven on earth but its not that bad as we think. If you would ask me a single approach to your dream job, I would say. NETWORK with positive people.

I would help anyone, as I had been helped by many. Now dont think I am a consultant asking for money. From help - I can help you words, I can encourage you, I can give you guidance based on my experience, I can hep you connect with my friends, and ofcourse, if I saw a job of your field, I would certainly recommend. However, to avoid irritation, I would recommend, you approach me through the old and well known users of this forum that I mentioned above. Before this post, I used to share my cell number with everyone but after this post, its getting too weird and I dont want someone to keep on bugging me with non serious posts and waste my time. There is a forum created by qorax for those who are in canada. So do connect over there, after landing. Its very helpful, you would immediately see a lot quick successes there. Plus there are some job postings over there too.

I am leaving this thread, as this is too much of a time waste in criticism but I would end this message with one last sentence:

If you wont remain positive and wont connect, you would never be happy in canada and yes, you would have a very hard time, unless a miracle happens.

God bless you all, and may kiala gets a wonderful job in his field of work too.

Thanks

canadaforall

Champion Member
Aug 11, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30th January 2009
Doc's Request.
February .12 .2009
AOR Received.
30. 08.2009
IELTS Request
no
File Transfer...
Med's Request
march 27th 2012
Med's Done....
5 april 2012
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
March 27th 2912
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
NN74 said:
My dear in all your lengthy 'sermon', you did not mentioned as HOW YOU LANDED IN a SENIOR ENGINEER position, in just 35 days?

I agree that you may land up in any engineer position in Toronto but got senior title requires at least 3-4 years Canadian experience!
Hi NN74,
I agree with you. I am right now in Canada and i am facing things the way you have explained. Well some forum member just want to deceive others. It is good to tell the truth, so that others should be prepared to built up their minds upon arriving.

Yes for sure some people are lucky, but the percentage is like 20 percent so we can not count on that because it is not a majority. So those of us who are here should encourage those who are behind to get ready financially in other to get through the experience smoothly.

I am here because i know the future will be fine and i am thinking of the long term and not the short term. i can succeed now , but i am very optimistic about the future. i am a positive person and hope the best for the future.

Thanks for the video it can help a lot of people.

Hoping things will be better.

canadaforall.

azazaz

Jul 6, 2011
NN74 said:

exactly he completely missed the point and went off topic plus he has not provided any solid proof...he is still trying to fool others...

NN74

Jun 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The story of Khalid Subhan has prompted some more hidden facts.

Those who live out of Canada, waiting for their PR/visa process to be completed, can't imagine as 'how Canadian system is!' Unless they land here & learn.

Most of immigrant community members in Toronto are doing survival-type jobs or surviving on welfare system. Reasons many, but that's fact with few exceptions too (unlike Khalid Subhan's story that is without proof). Stories published about the fate of immigrants (PhD driving cabs or working in Tim Horton) are mostly true & reflecting the bad-image of Canadian experience requirement & its consequences.

Some people feel bad to say -back home- that they were highly educated & well settled in their home countries but 'washing dishes, serving tea/coffee, or become security guards' here in Canada due to immigration and they don't like to give up their PR status (until get passport).

So Canada is land of opportunities but NOT in a sense people think; plenty of white-collar IT jobs, basic food/shelter support from govt, child benefits, social welfare system etc. As far as I know concept of LUCK, PUSH, NEPOTISM is rare and should not be considered even if exists!

One point is clear - new immigrant has to start his life, job, experience, even education (assessment) from the scratch. Build up your near future on high grounds. Once you spend your 1st year in Canada -with such hardships- you would sail through and all your past education, experience etc would prevail and finally you end up getting what you had dream before immigration!

And, if you are not willing to take up this hardship in initial days (say 1-2 yrs) then Canada is not a place for you! Or if you cant change your attitude towards the values of Canada such as truth, sincerity, hard work, decency, help to others etc then you end up in a greater mess!

azazaz said:
exactly he completely missed the point and went off topic plus he has not provided any solid proof...he is still trying to fool others...

meanne

Mar 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2010
Doc's Request.
09-06-2010
AOR Received.
10-08-2010
File Transfer...
15-06-2010
Med's Request
11-10-2012
Med's Done....
31-10-2012
Interview........
00-00-0000
Passport Req..
22-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
July 2013
Lucky for you.

Hope goes the same to other immigrants like me. Been there for a month and based on others experience its not easy to find a job according to your profession. They are asking for Canadian experience. But if luck strikes you, you are indeed so lucky!

eemmoo1

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
meanne said:
Lucky for you.

Hope goes the same to other immigrants like me. Been there for a month and based on others experience its not easy to find a job according to your profession. They are asking for Canadian experience. But if luck strikes you, you are indeed so lucky!
How are the job prospects for NOC 1111?

AAJ

Star Member
Aug 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2010
AOR Received.
1st AOR 13-10-2010, Full Documents Sent 19-01-11, 2nd AOR 16-06-2011
IELTS Request
Done
Med's Request
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
06-04-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2013
LANDED..........
April 2014 (IA)
NN74 said:
The story of Khalid Subhan has prompted some more hidden facts.

Those who live out of Canada, waiting for their PR/visa process to be completed, can't imagine as 'how Canadian system is!' Unless they land here & learn.

Most of immigrant community members in Toronto are doing survival-type jobs or surviving on welfare system. Reasons many, but that's fact with few exceptions too (unlike Khalid Subhan's story that is without proof). Stories published about the fate of immigrants (PhD driving cabs or working in Tim Horton) are mostly true & reflecting the bad-image of Canadian experience requirement & its consequences.

Some people feel bad to say -back home- that they were highly educated & well settled in their home countries but 'washing dishes, serving tea/coffee, or become security guards' here in Canada due to immigration and they don't like to give up their PR status (until get passport).

So Canada is land of opportunities but NOT in a sense people think; plenty of white-collar IT jobs, basic food/shelter support from govt, child benefits, social welfare system etc. As far as I know concept of LUCK, PUSH, NEPOTISM is rare and should not be considered even if exists!

One point is clear - new immigrant has to start his life, job, experience, even education (assessment) from the scratch. Build up your near future on high grounds. Once you spend your 1st year in Canada -with such hardships- you would sail through and all your past education, experience etc would prevail and finally you end up getting what you had dream before immigration!

And, if you are not willing to take up this hardship in initial days (say 1-2 yrs) then Canada is not a place for you! Or if you cant change your attitude towards the values of Canada such as truth, sincerity, hard work, decency, help to others etc then you end up in a greater mess!
+1 for you...

murugan426

Star Member
Sep 24, 2013
CHENNAI
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
3131, 0113
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2010
Doc's Request.
30-09-2010
AOR Received.
30-09-2010
IELTS Request
14-05-2010
Med's Request
29-05-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
NO
Passport Req..
10-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
03-01-2014 EXPIRY 26.06.2014
LANDED..........
dear friends,

I murugan indian last month submitted our medical papers to CHC new delhi but we didn't submit our passport due to some reasons that presently I am residing in Dubai tried to send it to CHC new delhi directly not possible. I need to stay in India for long time still the process happen or visa stamping. please help me.

Also I finished my BSc computer science and I completed my MBA logistics working as an inventory analyst for construction company in Dubai. if any chances are there to get jobs in software or application filed. please advise me.

thanks
murugan

Status
Not open for further replies.