+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****MAY 2019 Inland Spousal PR + OWP****

May 16, 2019
Ugh your story sounds familiar. I'm Canadian and my common-law partner is American, he was here on an IEC OWP and we left submitting the PR and OWP apps pretty late (although I was finishing my PhD so kinda legit reason). He was on implied status for almost 3 months before it was returned to me incomplete (2 days before I defended actually..), because I submitted my T1 General instead of my Notice of Assessment. Cost us $200 to apply to restore his status and of course IRCC had "updated" their forms since I originally submitted so I had to redo everything. Not to scare you, hopefully yours will be fine, but super disruptive with him having to quit working and me having to support us on my then not so great student salary..
I feel awful, poor guy hasn't been able to go home since Christmas and may not get to until the end of summer depending on how much they ding us for him being out of status. I wish you and your partner much better luck than us!!
Ugh, sounds awful! However, you were able to apply to restore his status when the app was returned even though his IEC had expired? That's actually good news from my side of things. I've been stressed every day that if the app is returned for whatever reason, I will have to apply for a visitor visa. Or is that the status that he got as well?

I hope processing goes super fast for you! And congrats on the PhD!

bbarker

Feb 2, 2019
That being said, you were allowed to continue to work on implied status even though your working holiday visa expired?
Also.. for the things that you "left blank", are we not to write "N/A" in those sections? Aren't we not allowed to leave anything blank?

Edit: I just called immigration and they told me to only check off "continue working for current employer" but everyone on this forum has been telling me otherwise.... Now I don't know what to do
Haha I was instructed to fill it out as a new app but that's interesting you were told otherwise.. oh IRCC, clear as mud. But yes, my apologies for the slip, you definitely fill in "N/A" not leave things blank!

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
Haha I was instructed to fill it out as a new app but that's interesting you were told otherwise.. oh IRCC, clear as mud. But yes, my apologies for the slip, you definitely fill in "N/A" not leave things blank!
When did you apply for the OWP with your PR? Someone in another thread just told me that we can apply for the OWP online and NOT include it with the physical (mail in) PR application.

bbarker

Feb 2, 2019
Ugh, sounds awful! However, you were able to apply to restore his status when the app was returned even though his IEC had expired? That's actually good news from my side of things. I've been stressed every day that if the app is returned for whatever reason, I will have to apply for a visitor visa. Or is that the status that he got as well?

I hope processing goes super fast for you! And congrats on the PhD!
Yes after the app is returned, he was immediately out of status and technically implied status never existed for him because he submitted an incomplete app. Implied status is only "real" once you've received your AOR that the app was complete and is being considered, until the AOR you're in a grey zone/immigration limbo. BUT you are allowed to reside in Canada for 90 days out of status before you have to: 1) apply to restore your status, 2) leave the country or 3) you could get rid of the OWP app, resubmit the PR app and just stay out of status (and not work) until PR is approved. So within a month, I had redone his apps with the "new" 2019 forms, submitted the proper notice of assessment, updated a couple of things as my employment status had changed, and on his OWP app you check two boxes, "restore status" and one of the two "apply for a work permit" options. You also have to pay $200 and submit that receipt. I'll update the thread when I get the AOR and hopefully the OWP approved!!

No - we were advised to apply for a visitor status visa and I didn't and I regret it. Because if he HAD been on a visitor visa, when his apps were returned I could have just updated what they requested with the new forms and resubmitted everything without paying the $200 or being put in a different, slower pile for approving his OWP as an out of status person. So yea, I would apply for a visitor visa if you're concerned!

Does that help?

Jun 16, 2019
SENT APP march 08. 2019,
App delivered March 11. 2019,
Acknowledgment Letter (confirmation )from IRCC -APRILL 9, 2019,
Medical Examination Request from IRCC -JUN 13, 2019,
Sponsorship Eligibility letter -JUN 13, 2019,
Biometric Request Letter -JUN 13, 2019.

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
Hi,

1. Yes, I submitted the statutory declaration and it has to be notarized if you want a legal document.
2. It’s not mandatory, but I suggest you to provide it because it shows that you and your partner “legally recognize your common-law relationship”.
The statutory declaration form IMM 5409 states "commissioner of oaths" as one of the options... so my understanding is that is doesnt have to be signed by a notory public?

endian

May 15, 2019
Application Sent: May 14, 2019
Application Received: May 15, 2019

PR + OWP

Anyone around the same time of submission get any AOR's yet?