+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

May 2017 TRV Online Application

vidhu88

Star Member
Feb 20, 2016
Hi All

I want to apply for TRV for my Mother. Here are my case specific inquiries:
  1. I attained Canadian PR in March'17 (haven't landed yet in Canada yet). While filling my mother's form, should I say yes to the question where they ask if you have any family member who is a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada? In my view, the answer should be "No" as I haven't landed in Canada yet and I had read somewhere that only landed immigrants are considered as Permanent Residents. What should I write in her form as she'll be accompanying me on this trip?
  2. My mother is a house-wife and we only intend to stay in Canada for about a week during which I plan to initiate my PR card processing and she can visit a few places with her cousins and family. How much funds would be sufficient to show/ support for a week's stay in Toronto? Would 10K CAD worth of savings in her name be enough as a financial proof? She has also never filed an IT return, is this required?
  3. In addition to the above, there marriage is not registered. What can be the alternative to this problem? My mother's passport has my dad's name in spouse field but my dad doesn't have a passport although he has her name in all other government ID's such as Aadhaar card as his spouse/ wife. I also have both there names in my birth certificate and my passport. Can I submit my birth certificate and passport scans, my mother's passport scans, my father's govt ID proofs such as Aadhaar card along with an affidavit as a proof of their marriage? Would that be accepted?
  4. My mother already has a valid US B1/B2 VISA which she just got last month but she has no travel history as yet? Would a valid US visitor VISA help her case?
Kindly guide me with the above queries at the earliest.

Thanks

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I attained Canadian PR in March'17 (haven't landed yet in Canada yet). While filling my mother's form, should I say yes to the question where they ask if you have any family member who is a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada? In my view, the answer should be "No" as I haven't landed in Canada yet and I had read somewhere that only landed immigrants are considered as Permanent Residents. What should I write in her form as she'll be accompanying me on this trip?
As you will be traveling with your mom + you will complete your landing formalities.... so 'Yes' to that TRV question.

My mother is a house-wife and we only intend to stay in Canada for about a week during which I plan to initiate my PR card processing and she can visit a few places with her cousins and family. How much funds would be sufficient to show/ support for a week's stay in Toronto? Would 10K CAD worth of savings in her name be enough as a financial proof?
As long as the money in her bank account has not been borrowed from anyone for the visa application.

She has also never filed an IT return, is this required?
It would take just 1-2 days for a simple, straightforward IT returns filing in her case

In addition to the above, there marriage is not registered. What can be the alternative to this problem? My mother's passport has my dad's name in spouse field
A copy of your dad's passport + your birth certificate will suffice

but my dad doesn't have a passport although he has her name in all other government ID's such as Aadhaar card as his spouse/ wife.
Will he also be accompanying you and your mom? An affidavit is not required.

My mother already has a valid US B1/B2 VISA which she just got last month but she has no travel history as yet? Would a valid US visitor VISA help her case?
It would help only to the extent of filing her application under the CAN+ program.

Hope your mom can demonstrate other reasons to return back to India:
Property/land ownership in her name + your dad and/or other dependent family members as family ties to return to.... else it seem like she is moving to Canada with you

vidhu88

Star Member
Feb 20, 2016
Thanks a lot for reverting back on my query! :)

As you will be traveling with your mom + you will complete your landing formalities.... so 'Yes' to that TRV question.

Okay, I'll update her application and answer this as "Yes"

As long as the money in her bank account has not been borrowed from anyone for the visa application.

Yes, the money in her account is in her name and in the form of FD

It would take just 1-2 days for a simple, straightforward IT returns filing in her case

Okay, will get her ITR processed for past three years, is it required for past three years? Most probably, it'll be filed as "NIL". Hope that will be acceptable.

A copy of your dad's passport + your birth certificate will suffice. Will he also be accompanying you and your mom? An affidavit is not required.

My dad doesn't have a passport. I just have my passport and birth certificate with both my parents name and my mother's passport with my father's name in spouse field. Would this be enough or should I also provide of the govt. ID's of my dad that has my mother's name as his spouse?

Hope your mom can demonstrate other reasons to return back to India:
Property/land ownership in her name + your dad and/or other dependent family members as family ties to return to.... else it seem like she is moving to Canada with you

My mother stays with my eldest sister and dad in India. My elder sister is also married and is living in India with her husband and daughter. Apart from that, we have our family house in my dad's name. No, my dad is not accompanying us on this trip due to his professional commitments. But we won't be staying in Canada for more than a week and will go to the US within a week to visit her brother. My mother has a cousin in Canada who she intends to visit in Toronto that's the reason we are now applying for her visa as well. What more can I provide to show her strong ties or more acceptable reasons for returning to India.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yes, the money in her account is in her name and in the form of FD
Does she have any liquid funds in her bank account? If she doesn't then your dad can provide a 'Letter of Financial Support' + his 6 months' bank statements + his most recent ITR

She can include the FD + a FD Interest certificate + a letter from the bank stating the FD is not mortgaged/no loan taken against it (if it is not a cumulative interest type FD)

Unofficial guide: CAD 1,000 per week of visit + airfare

Okay, will get her ITR processed for past three years, is it required for past three years? Most probably, it'll be filed as "NIL". Hope that will be acceptable.
I think you cannot file retrospective Income Tax Returns going back three years. I think it is max. for only two previous financial years.

'Nil returns' is okay. It only means your mom's income was below the taxable limit.

My dad doesn't have a passport. I just have my passport and birth certificate with both my parents name and my mother's passport with my father's name in spouse field. Would this be enough or should I also provide of the govt. ID's of my dad that has my mother's name as his spouse?
Copies of your birth certificate + you and your mom's passports

My mother stays with my eldest sister and dad in India. My elder sister is also married and is living in India with her husband and daughter. Apart from that, we have our family house in my dad's name. No, my dad is not accompanying us on this trip due to his professional commitments. But we won't be staying in Canada for more than a week and will go to the US within a week to visit her brother. My mother has a cousin in Canada who she intends to visit in Toronto that's the reason we are now applying for her visa as well. What more can I provide to show her strong ties or more acceptable reasons for returning to India.
Your mom does not have any strong ties apart from your dad as a family tie.

I suggest you include a detailed day-by-day itinerary with expense estimates for her Canada visit + a broad day-by-day itinerary of her US visit. This US visit must be after her Canada visit.

You may also want to include evidence that you will return to India 1-2 weeks later = your mom will return with you (although she could stay back at her cousin's place) + some commitment for which she must return home by a specific date.

Her cousin could provide an invitation letter + copies of the cousin's passport/immigration status

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hello Bryanna,

I'm really worried now it's been almost 62 days since I've applied for online TRV. Last update was on 17th June :(

I've sent 2 case specific inquiries after 17th june but no reply. The latest inquiry was sent couple of days ago and it can take upto 28days to get a reply.

Could you please tell what should i do now ?

Thank you
I suggest you send an email (not CSEs) to the Sydney visa office.

Don't worry. Hopefully you'll get an approval pretty soon :)

Mrmoody90

May 25, 2017
I suggest you send an email (not CSEs) to the Sydney visa office.

Don't worry. Hopefully you'll get an approval pretty soon :)
I applied from Lahore Pakistan so the nearest visa office is abu Dhabi and I've already sent an email yesterday To (abdbi-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca) .
I hope so :)
Thanks

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I applied from Lahore Pakistan so the nearest visa office is abu Dhabi and I've already sent an email yesterday To (abdbi-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca) .
I hope so :)
Thanks
Ahh okay. I was mistaken. I thought you had applied from Australia.

Hopefully the Abu Dhabi visa office will expedite the decision

Mrmoody90

May 25, 2017
Hello @Bryanna
So i just checked my CIC account and there was an update but never received any email.

My background check status went back to ( we are processing your background check from not applicable ) :( no what ?

Background check status history
7th June ( we are processing your BG check )
17th June ( Not applicable )
5th July ( we are processing your BG check again ).

I think I should be getting PPR update instead to this it's been 65 days

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hello @Bryanna
So i just checked my CIC account and there was an update but never received any email.

My background check status went back to ( we are processing your background check from not applicable ) :( no what ?

Background check status history
7th June ( we are processing your BG check )
17th June ( Not applicable )
5th July ( we are processing your BG check again ).

I think I should be getting PPR update instead to this it's been 65 days
IRCC can't seem to decide whether or not to do background checks :)

Going by the timeline, I'm pretty sure they are doing background checks and it started on 07/06, not now. I still think you will get a decision pretty soon. I hope I'm right :)

Mrmoody90

May 25, 2017
IRCC can't seem to decide whether or not to do background checks :)

Going by the timeline, I'm pretty sure they are doing background checks and it started on 07/06, not now. I still think you will get a decision pretty soon. I hope I'm right :)
That's really weird I mean regardless how busy they are their should be a time line for at least a TRV.
And I don't understand what IRCC can't decide LOL
I'm hoping that too...my wife is going crazy she wanna go back already!!!

Just another question I was reading this in background check - not applicable forums

There's this guy who said it's normal

Mrmoody90

May 25, 2017
That's really weird I mean regardless how busy they are their should be a time line for at least a TRV.

Just another question I was reading this in background check - not applicable forums

BG Not Started ------> In Progress
BG In progress ------> No needed/Not Applicable
BG No Need ------> In progress. This will stay like this untill you get your PPR. I just got PPR 2 days back.

Is that true ?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014

In hindsight, wish you had applied from Australia instead. Pakistan apps seem to be under the microscope.

I suggest you don't bother too much about the background checks. Either which way, you cannot do much. Fortunately in your case, you have not worked in the military or visited/lived in high-risk countries.

I remember a case that was similar to yours. Forum member 'Nousherwan'. He had visited just 1-2 years earlier on a TRV (applied from Swaziland I think). Probably no background checks were done. The next time around, he applied from Pakistan this year. His app went through background checks.... but he got his TRV in the end

Mrmoody90

May 25, 2017
In hindsight, wish you had applied from Australia instead. Pakistan apps seem to be under the microscope.

I suggest you don't bother too much about the background checks. Either which way, you cannot do much. Fortunately in your case, you have not worked in the military or visited/lived in high-risk countries.

I remember a case that was similar to yours. Forum member 'Nousherwan'. He had visited just 1-2 years earlier on a TRV (applied from Swaziland I think). Probably no background checks were done. The next time around, he applied from Pakistan this year. His app went through background checks.... but he got his TRV in the end

Fair enough :(
Let's see when I get my PPR

mystique9999

Star Member
Mar 19, 2015
Just my 2 cents:

I think it is better if your mother has a separate ticket with a separate itinerary; It should not appear as if though she is accompanying you during your landing. I've done this for my mom and her visa was rejected. You can ask your ticketing agent to split her itinerary from yours and she will have a different PNR. Do you have any relatives who can issue a invitation letter to her? Or maybe you can apply under the CAN+ program has she has a US visa.