+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MAY 2013 Applications (Citizenship)

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
firefly16 said:
No. the letter was not ready beforehand. She took a print out and then wrote our names by hand. It is " Request for Document Evidence of Your Residence in Canada" form, but the only thing she has ticked off is entry and exit to the US for the past 4 years. She said we will get it from the US Consulate. But when I researched the same, it says I can get it through FOIA.

Once again would like to ask if anyone has been able to get the said information (entry and exit) from the US using this means. Or am I to go to the consulate? Any idea?
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/admin/fl/foia/

Use this link.

FYI, I have submitted a request to them since August 2013 and no update so far from them.

Good luck

firefly16

Dec 19, 2013
Hi Rocky,

Did you apply for this online or did you mail them the request? What documents did you give along with the request?

Thanks

firefly16

Dec 19, 2013
Also when you sent in the request did you send them your exact dates of travel and the border from where you entered?? I have this information so wondering if this will help facilitate a faster reply.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
firefly16 said:
Hi Rocky,

Did you apply for this online or did you mail them the request? What documents did you give along with the request?

Thanks
I sent this request online, with my details, passport number, etc.

I did not attach any document with my request.

peter_h

Jan 7, 2014
firefly16 said:
No. the letter was not ready beforehand. She took a print out and then wrote our names by hand. It is " Request for Document Evidence of Your Residence in Canada" form, but the only thing she has ticked off is entry and exit to the US for the past 4 years. She said we will get it from the US Consulate. But when I researched the same, it says I can get it through FOIA.

Once again would like to ask if anyone has been able to get the said information (entry and exit) from the US using this means. Or am I to go to the consulate? Any idea?
I have traveled to the US by land and my passport always gets stamped too.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
firefly16 said:
Also when you sent in the request did you send them your exact dates of travel and the border from where you entered?? I have this information so wondering if this will help facilitate a faster reply.
Unfortunately the FOIA system is extremely backlogged. Currently they are still processing requests from 2012 (I am awaiting mine from Dec. 2012). Simple requests, meaning not too many trips and provision of exact travel dates, may be processed more quickly (under a year maybe?), but unfortunately this is a situation where there is not much to do besides wait in queue with everyone else. Supposedly they receive about 6000 requests per day.

Regarding expedited FOIA requests, one must meet a very high bar in order to qualify: "A FOIA request will be expedited if the lack of expedited treatment could reasonably be expected to pose an imminent threat to someone's life or physical safety." https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1552/~/expediting-a-foia-request Very few requests related to citizenship could meet this standard.

FOIA requests can be submitted by mail or online, though online is the preferred method. The consulate can't and won't provide these records. So, it's really a waiting game. If you have some extra money, you can work with a lawyer to craft your request, but it's unclear if this would really speed things up.

pedy27

Jan 24, 2014
Hi everyone,

Here's my timeline:

Mailed application - 14 March 13
Application received by CIC - 18 March 13
Sent acknowledgement letter - 18 March 13
Started processing application - 8 May 13
write the citizenship test on January 22, 2014 , Mississauga.

I passed the test 20/20 . I have never had any travel during last 4 years But last year some one broke in to our house and took my IDs (PR, Passport ,... ) as well as some valuable things. I Have a police report and I got new PR and passport . After the test I had interview and she said because You do not have your previous passport we have to get report from CBSA and we will contact you as soon as we get the report . any body knows how long it takes ? '
I gave the officer
1- all of my employee records and letter . ( I am working full time since May 2010)
2- Rent Contract for the period.
3- all of my tax return , T4.
4- Some education record that I had during last 4 years.

peter_h

Jan 7, 2014
This is not good at all for me either.
I do not have my previous passport either (I discarded it). I did explain that in written form with my application.
I may have the same fate in 2 weeks at my citizenship test.
Then again, since I explained that beforehand, I may not?

Jes

Dec 10, 2007
Hi all,

I've been following this very useful thread for some time now, but since I believed, that our application will take 2-3 years anyway, I thought that my time line would be boring :). I called the call center only once in August to ask about the AOR.

It seems now that there are some action happening with my application, and because it is a Mississauga application and some here would be interested, here is my time line:

Here's my timeline:

Application mailed - May 03, 2013
Application received by CIC - May 09, 2013
In Process since - Aug 09, 2013
AOR received - First week September
Last week "Received" line removed from ecas
Letter to submit fingerprints sent - Jan 22, 2014 (letter came from St. Clair)

I can understand them need to verify my fingerprint; my name is very common. But my wife's? she has such a weird name that I don't understand why the asked for her fingerprints (but again the ways of the CIC are mysterious :)).

Good luck everyone.

peter_h

Jan 7, 2014
The way they might see you could be one of those "Bonnie and Clyde" things. Meaning, just making sure Bonnie is clean too and not just Clyde.
No disrespect at all intended.

muti

May 28, 2013
Hi Here is my timeline:

Mailed application - March 13
Started processing application - May 13 ( and recevied the booklet )
and no response so far. Local office is Mississauga, however my file is transferred to Ottawa. I made a request to transfer the file to Mississauga. Still waiting...

Wish me luck guys.

Felixo

Star Member
Jan 4, 2014
muti said:
Hi Here is my timeline:

Mailed application - March 13
Started processing application - May 13 ( and recevied the booklet )
and no response so far. Local office is Mississauga, however my file is transferred to Ottawa. I made a request to transfer the file to Mississauga. Still waiting...

Wish me luck guys.
Good lich Muti!!

kenyadian

Star Member
Jul 31, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,

So, good news for me.

Yesterday I got a letter in the mail, dated January 24 asking me to sit for the test on Feb 20th(no change on my ecas though). Very excited and hope that everyone else in this group moves quickly through the process.

Will keep the group posted of any developments. Time to start studying that booklet!

Regards,

Kenyadian!