+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage-Post PPR/COPR and Before Landing

Pearl1

Mar 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bit of misinformation in this thread.

A spouse can most definitely be added after PPR. There is no added suspicion in getting married after PPR. It will NOT take an extra year to process the app after adding her. It is perfectly fine to mail a PR card.

Option 1 is your best bet. It will be significantly faster and easier to add her to our current app than it would be to sponsor her later. However, you should be aware that a court marriage for an Indian couple is a serious red flag. IRCC generally expects the traditional large Indian wedding.

I am not saying it will take an exact extra year. I am just sharing from what my friends experienced.

On the other hand, each case is different and ircc also provide processing times based on time taken to process past cases. Check the link - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp

quote from ircc processing time tool - "Processing times tell you how long it took Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to process applications in the past after receiving a complete application package. Processing times can vary, depending on how many applications IRCC receives. Your application may be delayed if it’s not complete."

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am not saying it will take an exact extra year. I am just sharing from what my friends experienced.

On the other hand, each case is different and ircc also provide processing times based on time taken to process past cases. Check the link - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp

quote from ircc processing time tool - "Processing times tell you how long it took Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to process applications in the past after receiving a complete application package. Processing times can vary, depending on how many applications IRCC receives. Your application may be delayed if it’s not complete."
Lol, I don't need a lesson in how IRCC processing times work. I am quite familiar with the topic. There is no posted processing time for adding a spouse to an ongoing PR app, so that link has no use in this discussion.

Your friends must have seriously screwed up or the spouse had some serious security/background issues if adding them to the PR app added an extra year of processing. Have a look around the forum at the many other threads regarding adding a spouse; it adds around 3-5 months of processing time.

Pearl1

Mar 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lol, I don't need a lesson in how IRCC processing times work. I am quite familiar with the topic. There is no posted processing time for adding a spouse to an ongoing PR app, so that link has no use in this discussion.

Your friends must have seriously screwed up or the spouse had some serious security/background issues if adding them to the PR app added an extra year of processing. Have a look around the forum at the many other threads regarding adding a spouse; it adds around 3-5 months of processing time.

just one word - WOW !!

hey no need to get defensive or offensive here. i guess this is a public forum and we are just sharing our opinions or experiences here.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
just one word - WOW !!

hey no need to get defensive or offensive here. i guess this is a public forum and we are just sharing our opinions or experiences here.
That wasn't me being defensive or offensive, simply stating the truth.

JJ0110

Sep 21, 2017
I had applied through Express Entry.
I have already received CoPR and visa for travel to Canada. Currently I am single, and the same is mentioned in my CoPR under Marital Status.

I am planning to get married in December. In the letter along with CoPR, they have mentioned that I need to inform them regarding my Marital Status change before Landing in Canada. I will go to Canada only after my Marriage.
I plan to call my wife later through Spousal Sponsorship

Kindly tell me the process to inform about my marriage to CIC and the process to get my CoPR updated. How much time will this take?

Regards

Darko986

Star Member
May 24, 2016
Macedonia
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
VIENNA
Nomination.....
27-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
Med's Request
upfront
Passport Req..
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-05-2017
I had applied through Express Entry.
I have already received CoPR and visa for travel to Canada. Currently I am single, and the same is mentioned in my CoPR under Marital Status.

I am planning to get married in December. In the letter along with CoPR, they have mentioned that I need to inform them regarding my Marital Status change before Landing in Canada. I will go to Canada only after my Marriage.
I plan to call my wife later through Spousal Sponsorship

Kindly tell me the process to inform about my marriage to CIC and the process to get my CoPR updated. How much time will this take?

Regards
Go through this thread and you'll find your answers
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/getting-married-after-ppr.403906/page-3

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
This thread deals with attaching wife's application with your after marriage post CoPR.

I just want to inform the CIC and get my CoPR updated.

I just want to know the process for the same and the time it will take.
You can't "just inform IRCC and get your COPR updated". If you get married before you land, you MUST add your wife to your application. She will need to submit the necessary forms/documents, get PCCs, have a medical, IRCC must perform all of the background/security checks etc.

If you land as married without adding your wife to your app, she will be forever excluded from the Family Class and you will not be able to sponsor her.

Reactions: JJ0110 and Darko986

Darko986

Star Member
May 24, 2016
Macedonia
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
VIENNA
Nomination.....
27-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
Med's Request
upfront
Passport Req..
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-05-2017
This thread deals with attaching wife's application with your after marriage post CoPR.

I just want to inform the CIC and get my CoPR updated.

I just want to know the process for the same and the time it will take.
Two options you have:

If you want sponsor your wife from within Canada, you have to land first, become a PR, return to your home country and then get married. And then you can start the sponsorship process (this can take up to a year from the moment you submit an application for sponsorship).

If you get married before you land in Canada you MUST inform CIC and submit documents and forms for your wife (regardless whether she will accompanying you in Canada or not). After they process your spouse you both will get PR visas. This will likely take between 1-3 months from the moment of submission of additional documentation.

Reactions: JJ0110

wan11knu

Jan 27, 2017
Mumbai
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Bit of misinformation in this thread.

A spouse can most definitely be added after PPR. There is no added suspicion in getting married after PPR. It will NOT take an extra year to process the app after adding her. It is perfectly fine to mail a PR card.

Option 1 is your best bet. It will be significantly faster and easier to add her to our current app than it would be to sponsor her later. However, you should be aware that a court marriage for an Indian couple is a serious red flag. IRCC generally expects the traditional large Indian wedding.
How do you know about IRCC’s attitude about court marriage in India? When they ask for legal documents to verify relationships where’s the point of so called traditional Indian wedding..

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
How do you know about IRCC’s attitude about court marriage in India? When they ask for legal documents to verify relationships where’s the point of so called traditional Indian wedding..
Significant experience on this forum seeing Indian court marriages go through extra scrutiny and usual rejection, along with internal publications of IRCC policies showing it is a red flag that they look for in Marriages of Convenience.

JJ0110

Sep 21, 2017
Two options you have:

If you want sponsor your wife from within Canada, you have to land first, become a PR, return to your home country and then get married. And then you can start the sponsorship process (this can take up to a year from the moment you submit an application for sponsorship).

If you get married before you land in Canada you MUST inform CIC and submit documents and forms for your wife (regardless whether she will accompanying you in Canada or not). After they process your spouse you both will get PR visas. This will likely take between 1-3 months from the moment of submission of additional documentation.
Thanks for the info...

how can I inform CIC .... ??

JJ0110

Sep 21, 2017
You can't "just inform IRCC and get your COPR updated". If you get married before you land, you MUST add your wife to your application. She will need to submit the necessary forms/documents, get PCCs, have a medical, IRCC must perform all of the background/security checks etc.

If you land as married without adding your wife to your app, she will be forever excluded from the Family Class and you will not be able to sponsor her.
Thanks for the info...
1) How can I inform CIC and add her to my application??
2) Will she get PR also? or this process is done just for adding her to my application.
3) Is there is option now after marriage that whether I want to get wife PR now or later through Spousal Sponsorship....

Kindly help...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the info...
1) How can I inform CIC and add her to my application??
2) Will she get PR also? or this process is done just for adding her to my application.
3) Is there is option now after marriage that whether I want to get wife PR now or later through Spousal Sponsorship....

Kindly help...
1. Send a CSE once you are married. IRCC will then request her forms and documents.

2. If you include her as accompanying, yes, she will get PR a the same time as you.

3. You can choose whether she is accompanying, meaning she will become a PR with you, or non-accompanying, meaning you will need to later sponsor her. Accompanying is by far the better option.

Reactions: JJ0110

JJ0110

Sep 21, 2017
1. Send a CSE once you are married. IRCC will then request her forms and documents.

2. If you include her as accompanying, yes, she will get PR a the same time as you.

3. You can choose whether she is accompanying, meaning she will become a PR with you, or non-accompanying, meaning you will need to later sponsor her. Accompanying is by far the better option.
Thanks for info.. Just last question, if I select my wife as non accompanying, and submit all her docs. how much time will it take for my updated CoPR.