patricia9

Mar 25, 2014
I have queries and suggestions required regarding marriage post PPR

Below are my details:

PPR - July 2017

PP Expiry - March 2018

I understand I have two options to include spouse post PPR

1. Before Landing
  • In this case since I will get married post PPR and before landing I will have to raise CSE and inform CIC about the change in status.
  • In this case my current PR will be on hold and I will have to submit back the COPR.
  • I understand this way it might affect my PR and might be questionable about getting married at this stage.
2. After Landing

• In this case I am planning to go to Canada in November 2017 for a so called "Soft Landing". Come back after 10-15 days to India.
  • Meanwhile in Canada, I give address of my maternal uncle in Alberta where I can get the PR card and he could courier me back in India to again enter the country later.
  • I get married in India after coming back soon by means of Court Marriage and get the required documents.
  • I fly back to Canada again in Feb 2018 (I have already booked my one-way tickets)
  • After I reach Canada I start with the Spousal Sponsorship process for my spouse as soon as possible.
  • Wait for the output of the sponsorship application

I kindly request members to have a look on above understanding of mine and suggest me if this is a better way to approach the situation to secure both PR and even get married.

Below are the few queries I have in my mind based on the above description

1. Is option 1 advisable. If so why and for what reasons should it be considered?
  2. Is option 2 advisable. If so why and for what reasons should it be considered?
  3. What are the things I have to take care in case of Soft Landing in Canada? Is there a requirement to stay in Canada the first time I enter the country for say X no. of days or so?
  4. In case of Soft Landing what are the things I should definitely try to complete in the short duration. I understand SIN is one of the things, what apart from that should I target to finish.
  5. Is it fine to get the PR card couriered by my relative to me in India
  6. Is it fine if after coming back to India after soft landing I immediately get married, this could not be questionable?
  7. In case of court marriage, only those papers or enough or do I need to do a big wedding ceremony to have pictures as proof of marriage.
  8. What are the pre-requisites for applying for Spousal Sponsorship apart from marriage?

I am very grateful to those who put the effort to read about my situation and guide me with my queries.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Last edited:

Bobbieleigh

Dec 11, 2015
I don't think you can add your spouse to your approved application. If you get married after PPR you have the second option only - spousal sponsorship. But I'm not an expert on it so wait for others to respond.

patricia9

Mar 25, 2014
I don't think you can add your spouse to your approved application. If you get married after PPR you have the second option only - spousal sponsorship. But I'm not an expert on it so wait for others to respond.
Yes I also think option 2 is better. Thanks for reading my query and replying :)

abcvita2012

Star Member
Jun 5, 2017
You can add her as long as you didn't land. Also, why are you worried it would raise suspicions? I mean, cic can anytime stop accepting addition of family members if they become annoyed with it but they are not doing it. I never heard of any proof that they take marriage authenticity lightly when you are sponsoring compared to adding before landing. Add her before landing unless you would like to spend a minimum of a year seperated.

Pearl1

Mar 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Below are my details:

PPR - July 2017

PP Expiry - March 2018

1. Before Landing
  • In this case since I will get married post PPR and before landing I will have to raise CSE and inform CIC about the change in status.
  • In this case my current PR will be on hold and I will have to submit back the COPR.
  • I understand this way it might affect my PR and might be questionable about getting married at this stage.
2. After Landing

• In this case I am planning to go to Canada in November 2017 for a so called "Soft Landing". Come back after 10-15 days to India.
  • Meanwhile in Canada, I give address of my maternal uncle in Alberta where I can get the PR card and he could courier me back in India to again enter the country later.
  • I get married in India after coming back soon by means of Court Marriage and get the required documents.
  • I fly back to Canada again in Feb 2018 (I have already booked my one-way tickets)
  • After I reach Canada I start with the Spousal Sponsorship process for my spouse as soon as possible.
I kindly request members to have a look on above understanding of mine and suggest me if this is a better way to approach the situation to secure both PR and even get married.

1. Is option 1 advisable. If so why and for what reasons should it be considered?
  2. Is option 2 advisable. If so why and for what reasons should it be considered?
  3. What are the things I have to take care in case of Soft Landing in Canada? Is there a requirement to stay in Canada the first time I enter the country for say X no. of days or so?
  4. In case of Soft Landing what are the things I should definitely try to complete in the short duration. I understand SIN is one of the things, what apart from that should I target to finish.
  6. Is it fine if after coming back to India after soft landing I immediately get married, this could not be questionable?
  7. In case of court marriage, only those papers or enough or do I need to do a big wedding ceremony to have pictures as proof of marriage.
  8. What are the pre-requisites for applying for Spousal Sponsorship apart from marriage?

I am very grateful to those who put the effort to read about my situation and guide me with my queries.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Option 1 would be easier and convenient as you won't have to meet the sponsorship requirements.

I have a friend in Manitoba who received her PPR but returned it to include her spouse. Now they are both landed immigrants. Of course your PR status will be delayed by an extra year or so but you will avoid the hassle of going through sponsorship approval (and the conditions later on. Trust me it's not easy and I'm going through it. You will have to include a whole new set of documentation. You will have to prove that your marriage is genuine, yes be it for sponsorship or including your spouse now).

Do you have any proof where your marriage was planned for this time ? Any reservations, invitation cards etc ? You can include these and write an explanation letter to cic saying your marriage was pre-planned and it has nothing to do with PPR time-clash.

How come you haven't landed yet ? It has been three months since you get it. Have you not submitted your PP to cic ? I guess you get only 30 days period to response back.

Pearl1

Mar 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Below are my details:

PPR - July 2017

PP Expiry - March 2018

1. Before Landing
2. After Landing

Thanks in advance.

Regards
You might want to check and make sure about sending PR card via courier.

abcvita2012

Star Member
Jun 5, 2017
You can add her as long as you didn't land. Also, why are you worried it would raise suspicions? I mean, if cic can anytime stop accepting addition of family members if they become annoyed with it but they are not doing it. I never heard of any proof that they take marriage authenticity lightly when you are sponsoring compared to adding before landing. Add her before landing unless you would like to spend a minimum of a year seperated.
w
Option 1 would be easier and convenient as you won't have to meet the sponsorship requirements.

I have a friend in Manitoba who received her PPR but returned it to include her spouse. Now they are both landed immigrants. Of course your PR status will be delayed by an extra year or so but you will avoid the hassle of going through sponsorship approval (and the conditions later on. Trust me it's not easy and I'm going through it. You will have to include a whole new set of documentation. You will have to prove that your marriage is genuine, yes be it for sponsorship or including your spouse now).

Do you have any proof where your marriage was planned for this time ? Any reservations, invitation cards etc ? You can include these and write an explanation letter to cic saying your marriage was pre-planned and it has nothing to do with PPR time-clash.

How come you haven't landed yet ? It has been three months since you get it. Have you not submitted your PP to cic ? I guess you get only 30 days period to response back.
what is this about PR status delay if you add your wife? I heard the process takes about 2 months on average.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Below are my details:

PPR - July 2017

PP Expiry - March 2018

1. Before Landing
2. After Landing

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Bit of misinformation in this thread.

A spouse can most definitely be added after PPR. There is no added suspicion in getting married after PPR. It will NOT take an extra year to process the app after adding her. It is perfectly fine to mail a PR card.

Option 1 is your best bet. It will be significantly faster and easier to add her to our current app than it would be to sponsor her later. However, you should be aware that a court marriage for an Indian couple is a serious red flag. IRCC generally expects the traditional large Indian wedding.

Reactions: abcvita2012

Escobar Gaviria

Oct 10, 2016
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-11-2016
AOR Received.
April 17th, 2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
16-06-2017
Passport Req..
22-08-2017
LANDED..........
Hopefully 2017
Guys, I am in the same boat.
I got COPR and would be landing in January 2018. I plan on getting married after soft landing, and my fiance has CRS of 475 of her own, which means she can easily get direct ITA. She has a simple case, so I assume and hope she'll get PPR within couple of months. My question is:

1- Is it mandatory to apply for her under spousal sponsorship? when she can get it on her own!
2- Suppose, we get married only after she gets COPR, that means, two PR holders getting married, would we have to register as A FAMILY after entering Canada?

Thank you in advance.

abcvita2012

Star Member
Jun 5, 2017

A spouse can most definitely be added after PPR. There is no added suspicion in getting married after PPR. It will NOT take an extra year to process the app after adding her. It is perfectly fine to mail a PR card.

Option 1 is your best bet. It will be significantly faster and easier to add her to our current app than it would be to sponsor her later. However, you should be aware that a court marriage for an Indian couple is a serious red flag. IRCC generally expects the traditional large Indian wedding.
Exactly what I was trying to say. Couldn't say it better.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I got COPR and would be landing in January 2018. I plan on getting married after soft landing, and my fiance has CRS of 475 of her own, which means she can easily get direct ITA. She has a simple case, so I assume and hope she'll get PPR within couple of months. My question is:

1- Is it mandatory to apply for her under spousal sponsorship? when she can get it on her own!
2- Suppose, we get married only after she gets COPR, that means, two PR holders getting married, would we have to register as A FAMILY after entering Canada?

Thank you in advance.
1. No, it isn't mandatory to apply for spousal sponsorship.

2. No idea what you mean.

BreakingBad

Oct 3, 2015
Mexico
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mexico VO
NOC Code......

Thank you in advance.

1. She can apply for EE if she is eligible and she is eligible right. In fact she can apply for any visa she is eligible.

2. If you both have COPR and get married. Raise CSE and upload the COPR of partner,vice versa. Its just to make sure you tell them you are married. I dont know whether its needed or not, but they expect you to intimate any changes in your family structure like marriage child birth and so you conform with it.

Escobar Gaviria

Oct 10, 2016
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-11-2016
AOR Received.
April 17th, 2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
16-06-2017
Passport Req..
22-08-2017
LANDED..........
Hopefully 2017
1. She can apply for EE if she is eligible and she is eligible right. In fact she can apply for any visa she is eligible.

2. If you both have COPR and get married. Raise CSE and upload the COPR of partner,vice versa. Its just to make sure you tell them you are married. I dont know whether its needed or not, but they expect you to intimate any changes in your family structure like marriage child birth and so you conform with it.
Even after landing and getting PR? I thought COPR is done once we land

patricia9

Mar 25, 2014

Well also going with option1, I will require funds to be shown as POF which I really dont have in my account. I am worried for to deal with this situation as maybe the funds require to be 6 months old too. Moreover the spouse does not even have a passport yet.

Regarding having a large weeding is so much extra cost, initially my plan is only to go for court marriage.

Pearl1

Mar 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well also going with option1, I will require funds to be shown as POF which I really dont have in my account. I am worried for to deal with this situation as maybe the funds require to be 6 months old too. Moreover the spouse does not even have a passport yet.

Regarding having a large weeding is so much extra cost, initially my plan is only to go for court marriage.

I do not think a traditional large wedding is required. It is up to you how much you want to spend on the wedding.

However, if you are getting married in India, I would suggest following the customs of the country (usually people go for traditional weddings. Court marriage is not so common). Just go for a small family function and traditional ceremony for wedding if you are not planning to spend too much on wedding (as I said earlier, you do not have to go over your budget).

For funds, you can attach your recent NOA and pay stubs. If your employer can provide an employment confirmation letter, it would be helpful too.