+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage after COPR

Vivek_G

Nov 11, 2018
Thanks for the prompt revert Zardoz.
Sponsorship is the best way out right as compared to adding her now?

There's no "add her as a dependent later" after you have landed. It's a brand new sponsorship application.
THAnks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks for the prompt revert Zardoz.
Sponsorship is the best way out right as compared to adding her now?

THAnks
It's totally your choice. If you add her before landing, it will delay your landing but it will all be done in one go. You will not risk being separated for a year or more. You have to be living in Canada in order to sponsor, and if she is denied entry for ANY reason, you will be separated during the sponsorship process.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

adityakulkarni1990

Star Member
Dec 13, 2014
Hi Friends,

I have a COPR valid up to Aug 2020. I am getting married in Dec.
Wanted your valuable opinion on what is the best course of action:
1. Land before marriage and add her as a dependent later (she can stay with me on a visitor visa)
or
2. Add her to the application now

Since processing timelines are pretty long and unpredictable these days I have been advised to land before marriage and later add her as a dependent.
Request your thoughts pls.
Add her to the profile now. Get court marriage done immediately.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
If you have a defined plan to move to Canada (a pending job offer or some such thing) then move to Canada and sponsor her later. She cannot stay longer than 6 months on Visitor visa and if she does not have it already, it might be difficult after marriage to a PR.

Getting married now and adding her to your application now will delay your landing, but will be completely safe option.

Apr 16, 2019
How can I go about declaring to CIC if I am a PR in Canada (for over a year) and I get married to someone who is in the final stages of getting PPR. I decide to come back home, get married and fly together in about 15 days. Considering that my partner will get her COPR before marriage according to the expected timeline. should my partner NOT declare anything to CIC and land in Canada, where we can do a registered Court marriage?
I m scared with the slow processing times and don't want to screw anything.

If anyone can please provide their valuable inputs it would be a great help.

Thankyou

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
How can I go about declaring to CIC if I am a PR in Canada (for over a year) and I get married to someone who is in the final stages of getting PPR. I decide to come back home, get married and fly together in about 15 days. Considering that my partner will get her COPR before marriage according to the expected timeline. should my partner NOT declare anything to CIC and land in Canada, where we can do a registered Court marriage?
I m scared with the slow processing times and don't want to screw anything.

If anyone can please provide their valuable inputs it would be a great help.

Thankyou
You don't do anything.

If you marry before your partner lands as a PR, they need to update IRCC. If you marry after your partner lands, they don't do anything.

Reactions: saumil.shah2910
Apr 16, 2019
@canuck_in_uk Thankyou for clarifying this, so we should register our marriage here in Canada and not register it back home to avoid delays and making matters complex. Since I am handling her PR file, its up to me to decide, thats why I wrote " How should I go about declaring…….."

Thankyou again.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
@canuck_in_uk Thankyou for clarifying this, so we should register our marriage here in Canada and not register it back home to avoid delays and making matters complex. Since I am handling her PR file, its up to me to decide, thats why I wrote " How should I go about declaring…….."

Thankyou again.
If you have a marriage ceremony in your country, whether you register it or not, you are likely to be considered married under the law and she MUST inform IRCC before landing.

adityakulkarni1990

Star Member
Dec 13, 2014
So guys to summarize, from receiving AOR (acknowledgment of receipt) till landing in Canada, you can inform cic about your marriage from webform and they will reopen your application and asked to provide your spouse documents and then issues COPR to both of you. Please don't land before either party receives COPR because then you needed to sponsor your wife which would take almost a year. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
So guys to summarize, from receiving AOR (acknowledgment of receipt) to receiving COPR, you can inform cic about your marriage from webform and they will reopen your application and asked to provide your spouse documents and then issues COPR to both of you. Please don't land before either party receives COPR because then you needed to sponsor your wife which would take almost a year. Hope this helps!
That's not accurate.

If you marry/divorce/separate/give birth etc, you MUST update your application with IRCC before you attempt to "land" as a PR.
It doesn't matter if you have been sent your COPR or not.

Failure to do so is misrepresentation and may cause IRPR 117(9)(d) to take effect.

adityakulkarni1990

Star Member
Dec 13, 2014
That's not accurate.

If you marry/divorce/separate/give birth etc, you MUST update your application with IRCC before you attempt to "land" as a PR.
It doesn't matter if you have been sent your COPR or not.

Failure to do so is misrepresentation and may cause IRPR 117(9)(d) to take effect.
What's wrong did I say?I haven't said anything different than what you've said. Maybe you misunderstood the last point. I said "not to land" before both party receives their COPR "after informing cic about your marriage". CIC will ask you to submit your COPR back to them but it takes sometimes a month for them to request this. One should not try to land in this period. Hope this is more clear now.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
What's wrong did I say?I haven't said anything different than what you've said. Maybe you misunderstood the last point. I said "not to land" before both party receives their COPR "after informing cic about your marriage". CIC will ask you to submit your COPR back to them but it takes sometimes a month for them to request this. One should not try to land in this period. Hope this is more clear now.
You implied that you can only update IRCC between AOR and the issue of the COPR.

adityakulkarni1990

Star Member
Dec 13, 2014
You implied that you can only update IRCC between AOR and the issue of the COPR.
Okay, in that case, I have edited my comment as "from receiving AOR (acknowledgment of receipt) till landing in Canada", you can inform cic about your marriage and they will reopen your application and asked to provide your spouse documents and then will issue COPR to both of you. Hope this is not confusing anymore.

jain_akhil1988

Feb 2, 2019
IRCC must be updated, even if you are already a PR. In this case, misrepresentation is not likely but her application must still include you in the additional family information. If you undergo a marriage in India, you are married at that time. There is no "registering it in Canada".
Thanks for the clarity :)
One more thing to your comment, once the spouse update before landing that she is married to a PR holder:
1. Would this now impact the husband's entry (like delay in updating PR etc.) as he is already a PR holder and coming for just marriage and want to fly back after that
2. Once the spouse declares about the marital status, how much time will it take for her to get the updated copr?
3. After she declares, can the husband go back to canada, if updated copr of the wife would take time?
Thanks in Advance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the clarity :)
One more thing to your comment, once the spouse update before landing that she is married to a PR holder:
1. Would this now impact the husband's entry (like delay in updating PR etc.) as he is already a PR holder and coming for just marriage and want to fly back after that
2. Once the spouse declares about the marital status, how much time will it take for her to get the updated copr?
3. After she declares, can the husband go back to canada, if updated copr of the wife would take time?
Thanks in Advance.
1. No.

2. An updated COPR shouldn't be needed. Carry the marriage certificate and a copy of the husband's PR card when landing.

3. Yes.