+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage after COPR

Tanjid

May 15, 2022
Hello,
I got my COPR on the 25th of April. I will marry before landing in Canada and the spouse will not accompany me. I am planning to land in Canada in Sep/Oct 2022. What needs to be done on this case? Thanks in Advance.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,
I got my COPR on the 25th of April. I will marry before landing in Canada and the spouse will not accompany me. I am planning to land in Canada in Sep/Oct 2022. What needs to be done on this case? Thanks in Advance.
You can’t land with that COPR. You must change your status and have your spouse be included on your file (medicals) and be reissued a new COPR. It may not be ready by your intended landing dates.

monttaal

Mar 18, 2021
Hello, I received my COPR (valid until Oct 2022, 1 year after my medical). I got married a month ago and have informed IRCC about it and asking them what my next steps are.

A.) How long does it usually take them to reply?
B.) If it takes IRCC a lot of time to process the addition of my spouse and it reaches the expiry of my COPr, will I need to do my medicals again?

Thanks for any info you can give guys.

Joanne.th1111

Jul 11, 2022
Hello,

I got my COPR on aug 2021 expiring on July 21st, 2022. I got married on nov 2021 and updated IRCC on Dec 2021. I did followup but never received any response from IRCC till date.

1. Since my COPR is expiring in 10 days should i travel to Canada alone and declare about my marital status at the immigration?

2. If I don't travel before copr expiry, will IRCC still issue a new copr for me and my spouse even after the current one expires? I'm worried about IRCC not extending my COPR as i have not heard back from them till date

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I got my COPR on aug 2021 expiring on July 21st, 2022. I got married on nov 2021 and updated IRCC on Dec 2021. I did followup but never received any response from IRCC till date.

1. Since my COPR is expiring in 10 days should i travel to Canada alone and declare about my marital status at the immigration?

2. If I don't travel before copr expiry, will IRCC still issue a new copr for me and my spouse even after the current one expires? I'm worried about IRCC not extending my COPR as i have not heard back from them till date

Has anyone been in a similar situation?
1. No, definitely do not travel. The COPR was issued to you as a single person. You cannot use it to land in Canada. You must wait for your spouse to be added to your application and for IRCC to issue you a new COPR. You cannot declare your spouse at the border. This needs to be done in advance.
2. Yes, they will issue a new COPR once they have processed all of your spouse's paperwork. I assume you have not only notified IRCC that you are now married but also have submitted all of the paperwork to add your spouse to the application.

Joanne.th1111

Jul 11, 2022
1. No, definitely do not travel. The COPR was issued to you as a single person. You cannot use it to land in Canada. You must wait for your spouse to be added to your application and for IRCC to issue you a new COPR. You cannot declare your spouse at the border. This needs to be done in advance.
2. Yes, they will issue a new COPR once they have processed all of your spouse's paperwork. I assume you have not only notified IRCC that you are now married but also have submitted all of the paperwork to add your spouse to the application.
Thanks for the reply Scylla. For point 2, no i have not submitted any paperwork to add my spouse. I have only sent webform to inform IRCC about the change in my martial status along with marriage certificate as an attachment. I'm waiting for some response from IRCC to understand the next steps. What are the paperwork that can be submitted to add spouse to the application? Is it something we can initiate without any guidance from IRCC webform reply? Thanks in advance for your advice

vnyaraju

Sep 8, 2020
Thanks for the reply Scylla. For point 2, no i have not submitted any paperwork to add my spouse. I have only sent webform to inform IRCC about the change in my martial status along with marriage certificate as an attachment. I'm waiting for some response from IRCC to understand the next steps. What are the paperwork that can be submitted to add spouse to the application? Is it something we can initiate without any guidance from IRCC webform reply? Thanks in advance for your advice
same situation here bro,
Married: Feb 10th 2022
Informed IRCC(web form) : Feb 15th 2022
Requested wife passport and marriage certificate: Feb 27th 2022
Uploaded both documents: March 1st 2022

It’s been 4 months, from then no updates from IRCC, raised webform to check the status of application, but no response yet

let me know if you got any updates

Joanne.th1111

Jul 11, 2022
same situation here bro,
Married: Feb 10th 2022
Informed IRCC(web form) : Feb 15th 2022
Requested wife passport and marriage certificate: Feb 27th 2022
Uploaded both documents: March 1st 2022

It’s been 4 months, from then no updates from IRCC, raised webform to check the status of application, but no response yet

let me know if you got any updates
You atleast got a request for wife passport and marriage certificate. I did not get any response. Which is why I'm worried. For your case you will just have to wait I think. For mine I did not get even the request to submit wife's documents

vnyaraju

Sep 8, 2020
You atleast got a request for wife passport and marriage certificate. I did not get any response. Which is why I'm worried. For your case you will just have to wait I think. For mine I did not get even the request to submit wife's documents
I can understand!!
I got wife’s passport and marriage certificate request in 7 days.
Let’s hope for the best

Jul 11, 2022
Guys,

Can anyone help me with my issue? I got my Copr stamped very recently. During this process, I got married last month. When I tried to update my marital status using a webform. I got the following response

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information you provided and can confirm that it is not necessary to provide additional documentation if you do not currently have an application in process with IRCC.

Since a final decision was already made on your application, the information you provided will not be added to your file.

If applicable, we invite you to include this information when you submit a new application.

This led me to a couple of questions:

1) Can I do a soft landing without any issues as I have already updated IRCC with my marital status?

2) Can I sponsor my spouse as soon as I move to Canada?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,
southwindsor_ct

Pratik65

Jun 14, 2018
Hi guys,

I have a situtation so needed your guidance.
My Aor is March 2020, I got married in May'2022 while my application was still under processing. I informed ircc immediately about my status change in May itself, but I did not hear back from IRCC until now for any documents request for my spouse and now they have sent me "Ready for Visa" email i.e. Passport request. Please guide me on this as to what options do I have,
- Can i send my passport for visa stamping and inform them at landing as PR and later sponsor my wife?
or
- I have to wait until IRCC request all document for my spouse?

vnyaraju

Sep 8, 2020
I recieved CoPR in Feb 2021.I got married in Dec 2020.
CoPR expired in April 2021.
Sent documents and email for updates in file, recieved following response.

"Our records indicate that you notified us of this change after we had issued you a Confirmation of
Permanent Residence for you and your dependents, if you have any. Please understand that we will
require that you return this document as well as your passport(s) with your permanent resident visa(s), if
applicable, in order for us to cancel them. You must provide us with these original documents in addition
to the other requested documents for us to continue with your application process."

Does this mean I need to send CoPR document and Passport to IRCC Delhi via VFS?
I am in the same situation bro, what have you done, send the documents to VFS office?

I am not clear what i need to do, could you please help!!

rajmehta1871982

Dec 28, 2021
did you guys receive any update from IRCC or did they request you to submit additional documents for your spouse?

I am in dilemma because on multiple threads I have read that IRCC has not responded or asked for spouse's documents for 3-5 months. So I am now planning to land in Canada first and then come back and get married. Any suggestions?

Reactions: mehdi.bdr

vnyaraju

Sep 8, 2020
did you guys receive any update from IRCC or did they request you to submit additional documents for your spouse?

I am in dilemma because on multiple threads I have read that IRCC has not responded or asked for spouse's documents for 3-5 months. So I am now planning to land in Canada first and then come back and get married. Any suggestions?
This is my scenario, which might help to make the decision.

its Not 4-5 months, I have waited for 8months.

After marriage it took 8 months to travel to canada with work permit. Then I updated IRCC that “currently I am living in canada”. Within 3weeks I got spouse documents request.

so IRCC is prioritizing the inland applications, so please land before marriage, don’t know how much delay it will happen after marriage.

Reactions: rajmehta1871982

Joanne.th1111

Jul 11, 2022
Hello, i received response from IRCC requesting for spouse documents and we have completed all the steps including biometrics. So waiting for our new COPR (this will take sometime). IRCC was quick in asking all documents and responding to our submission .

If you have that choice, why don't you do soft landing get your PR card come back and then do the wedding? That way you just need to apply for sponsorship for your wife once you are in Canada.. A downside to this could be that spouse sponsorship timelines have increased in Canada. Even then I feel doing your soft landing before marriage is a better idea.

Reactions: rajmehta1871982