+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage after COPR

adityakulkarni1990

Star Member
Dec 13, 2014
Hello friends,

I found following information on this forum.

Marriage Scenarios (Point 3):-

Marriage after COPR before Landing: They will take your COPR and reopen your file. CIC will issue new CoPR for both of you. CRS will NOT be affected and you don't even need IELTS/ECA for spouse.

Question: How this works for a person who is already working in Canada on a open work permit? I am currently in Canada and working full time. I have received AOR and expecting to get application approved in May 2019. After I get my COPR, can I leave Canada and get married in India and show my wife as unaccompanied spouse? She will not come with me immediately in Canada after marriage. In this case, will she also get COPR at Port of entry if I show my COPR copy and marriage certificate? Also how long can I wait for flagpoling with COPR in hand? Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: raajsindha

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello friends,

Marriage after COPR before Landing: They will take your COPR and reopen your file. CIC will issue new CoPR for both of you. CRS will NOT be affected and you don't even need IELTS/ECA for spouse.

Question: How this works for a person who is already working in Canada on a open work permit? I am currently in Canada and working full time. I have received AOR and expecting to get application approved in May 2019. After I get my COPR, can I leave Canada and get married in India and show my wife as unaccompanied spouse? She will not come with me immediately in Canada after marriage. In this case, will she also get COPR at Port of entry if I show my COPR copy and marriage certificate? Also how long can I wait for flagpoling with COPR in hand? Please advise.

Thanks in advance.
No. If you marry before you land, you MUST inform IRCC immediately and they will demand that you return your COPR, cancel your visa (if you were issued one) and submit updated application forms. There is NO option to do anything at the POE.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello friends,

Thanks in advance.
As said above, she must be added to the app. Expect an additional 3-4 months of processing time after that.

Reactions: vinayk

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Also note that if your new spouse is inadmissible for ANY reason, you also become inadmissible, and your PR application will fail.

adityakulkarni1990

Star Member
Dec 13, 2014
Thanks Zardoz for the reply.

I will be marrying in India so do I need to inform IRCC immediately from India? How can I inform them; by raising IRCC Web form?

Secondly, after they demand to return my COPR, do I need to submit my COPR to India or Canada address?

Finally, will the updated forms appear in my application? I assume it will comprise spouse medical, marriage certificate and her passport.

Please advise.

Thanks again!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks Zardoz for the reply.

I will be marrying in India so do I need to inform IRCC immediately from India? How can I inform them; by raising IRCC Web form?

Secondly, after they demand to return my COPR, do I need to submit my COPR to India or Canada address?

Finally, will the updated forms appear in my application? I assume it will comprise spouse medical, marriage certificate and her passport.

Please advise.

Thanks again!
You must inform the visa office that processed your application, and probably return your COPR to the same office.
No idea what updated forms are required, or what documents you will be asked to provide. Take your instructions from IRCC.

adityakulkarni1990

Star Member
Dec 13, 2014
Sorry for bothering more but last question is that can I land back to Canada after I informed IRCC about my marriage (wife is not coming with me)?

I am working full time in Canada and needs to report back to work immediately after getting married? Currently, I have multiple entry visa based on my work permit valid till end of 2019. I am not sure what IRCC usually do with this visa after they stamped single entry visa while issuing COPR. Please guide.

Thanks again!!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Sorry for bothering more but last question is that can I land back to Canada after I informed IRCC about my marriage (wife is not coming with me)?

I am working full time in Canada and needs to report back to work immediately after getting married? Currently, I have multiple entry visa based on my work permit valid till end of 2019. I am not sure what IRCC usually do with this visa after they stamped single entry visa while issuing COPR. Please guide.

Thanks again!!
That visa remains valid. You can return, as a Foreign National, to carry on with your work. Do not attempt to "land" as a Permanent Resident however.

arora_mayank

Jul 15, 2018
Hi Zardoz, I've got a similar story. I got my CoPR in February 2019, however I got married in April 2019 and informed CIC through a web form.
Submitted the additional kit along with the spousal information and her Medicals on the May 14, 2019.
Its been dead silence since then, ofcourse there's a UCI number issued to my wife, but no progress on file since then.
It's been over 2.5 months....

I've written emails to the NDVO where my file is getting processed however nothing from them.
What's the advise that you can give.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi Zardoz, I've got a similar story. I got my CoPR in February 2019, however I got married in April 2019 and informed CIC through a web form.
Submitted the additional kit along with the spousal information and her Medicals on the May 14, 2019.
Its been dead silence since then, ofcourse there's a UCI number issued to my wife, but no progress on file since then.
It's been over 2.5 months....

I've written emails to the NDVO where my file is getting processed however nothing from them.
What's the advise that you can give.
Keep sending the Web Forms. Not sure that email will work for you. Above all, be patient.

Vivek_G

Nov 11, 2018
Hi Friends,

I have a COPR valid up to Aug 2020. I am getting married in Dec.
Wanted your valuable opinion on what is the best course of action:
1. Land before marriage and add her as a dependent later (she can stay with me on a visitor visa)
or
2. Add her to the application now

Since processing timelines are pretty long and unpredictable these days I have been advised to land before marriage and later add her as a dependent.
Request your thoughts pls.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi Friends,

I have a COPR valid up to Aug 2020. I am getting married in Dec.
Wanted your valuable opinion on what is the best course of action:
1. Land before marriage and add her as a dependent later (she can stay with me on a visitor visa)
or
2. Add her to the application now

Since processing timelines are pretty long and unpredictable these days I have been advised to land before marriage and later add her as a dependent.
Request your thoughts pls.
There's no "add her as a dependent later" after you have landed. It's a brand new sponsorship application.