+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage after COPR

rajmehta1871982

Dec 28, 2021
This is my scenario, which might help to make the decision.

its Not 4-5 months, I have waited for 8months.

After marriage it took 8 months to travel to canada with work permit. Then I updated IRCC that “currently I am living in canada”. Within 3weeks I got spouse documents request.

so IRCC is prioritizing the inland applications, so please land before marriage, don’t know how much delay it will happen after marriage.
Thanks for the update. This does help me make a decision! I too think it's safer to land before marriage since IRCC can be a bit unpredictable and it would be better if one of us gets there first and start working towards our career.

rajmehta1871982

Dec 28, 2021
Hello, i received response from IRCC requesting for spouse documents and we have completed all the steps including biometrics. So waiting for our new COPR (this will take sometime). IRCC was quick in asking all documents and responding to our submission .

If you have that choice, why don't you do soft landing get your PR card come back and then do the wedding? That way you just need to apply for sponsorship for your wife once you are in Canada.. A downside to this could be that spouse sponsorship timelines have increased in Canada. Even then I feel doing your soft landing before marriage is a better idea.
Thanks for the update. This helps someone like me a lot since I am so confused, I too think that I am better off landing in Canada firstly and getting my PR card. Sponsorship will take slightly longer but I think it's a compromise one way or another. I can start working and saving before my SO arrives.

kshitij_92

Jan 21, 2021
Hello, i received response from IRCC requesting for spouse documents and we have completed all the steps including biometrics. So waiting for our new COPR (this will take sometime). IRCC was quick in asking all documents and responding to our submission .

If you have that choice, why don't you do soft landing get your PR card come back and then do the wedding? That way you just need to apply for sponsorship for your wife once you are in Canada.. A downside to this could be that spouse sponsorship timelines have increased in Canada. Even then I feel doing your soft landing before marriage is a better idea.
Hi Joanne, could you please share with us what all documents did IRCC request from your end to add the spouse to your application.

mehdi.bdr

Oct 12, 2022
Hi Zardoz, I've got a similar story. I got my CoPR in February 2019, however I got married in April 2019 and informed CIC through a web form.
Submitted the additional kit along with the spousal information and her Medicals on the May 14, 2019.
Its been dead silence since then, ofcourse there's a UCI number issued to my wife, but no progress on file since then.
It's been over 2.5 months....

I've written emails to the NDVO where my file is getting processed however nothing from them.
What's the advise that you can give.
Any update ?

mehdi.bdr

Oct 12, 2022
Hi Friends,

I have a COPR valid up to Aug 2020. I am getting married in Dec.
Wanted your valuable opinion on what is the best course of action:
1. Land before marriage and add her as a dependent later (she can stay with me on a visitor visa)
or
2. Add her to the application now

Since processing timelines are pretty long and unpredictable these days I have been advised to land before marriage and later add her as a dependent.
Request your thoughts pls.
any update?

vivekrai

Jun 7, 2019
Guys,

Can anyone help me with my issue? I got my Copr stamped very recently. During this process, I got married last month. When I tried to update my marital status using a webform. I got the following response

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information you provided and can confirm that it is not necessary to provide additional documentation if you do not currently have an application in process with IRCC.

Since a final decision was already made on your application, the information you provided will not be added to your file.

If applicable, we invite you to include this information when you submit a new application.

This led me to a couple of questions:

1) Can I do a soft landing without any issues as I have already updated IRCC with my marital status?

2) Can I sponsor my spouse as soon as I move to Canada?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,
southwindsor_ct
Hi,
I am in a similar situation. I have received my copr in feb 2022 and it will expire in jan 2023. I got married in may 2022 and raised webform informing ircc about change in my family composition. However I got the same response after 2 months. As now only 2 months are left out before it get expired what other options do I have?
how did you proceed ahead?
thanks in advance!!

Reactions: mehdi.bdr

mehdi.bdr

Oct 12, 2022
Hi,
I am in a similar situation. I have received my copr in feb 2022 and it will expire in jan 2023. I got married in may 2022 and raised webform informing ircc about change in my family composition. However I got the same response after 2 months. As now only 2 months are left out before it get expired what other options do I have?
how did you proceed ahead?
thanks in advance!!
Same case here, Any update?

mehdi.bdr

Oct 12, 2022
did you guys receive any update from IRCC or did they request you to submit additional documents for your spouse?

I am in dilemma because on multiple threads I have read that IRCC has not responded or asked for spouse's documents for 3-5 months. So I am now planning to land in Canada first and then come back and get married. Any suggestions?
Same idea occurred to me and i believe its the safest way to go with it. you Land first then go back to get married. slightly more expensive option but has to be done.

vachunik

Nov 12, 2022
No. If you marry before you land, you MUST inform IRCC immediately and they will demand that you return your COPR, cancel your visa (if you were issued one) and submit updated application forms. There is NO option to do anything at the POE.
Same situation got my COPR before marriage, raised webforms to communicate the change. However no response from IRCC till date since June 2022. My COPR will be expiring in November end 2022, hence i am worried what to do in case of no response.. should i let it expire or do complete the first landing procedure.
please help if anyone has info on this...

vachunik

Nov 12, 2022

Hi i am in the Same situation as you were. i got my COPR before marriage raised webforms to communicate the change. However no response from IRCC till date since June 2022. My COPR will be expiring in November end 2022, hence i am worried what to do in case of no response.. should i let it expire or do complete the first landing procedure.

vivekrai

Jun 7, 2019
Hi i am in the Same situation as you were. i got my COPR before marriage raised webforms to communicate the change. However no response from IRCC till date since June 2022. My COPR will be expiring in November end 2022, hence i am worried what to do in case of no response.. should i let it expire or do complete the first landing procedure.
What did you do? kindly update here !!
Thanks in advance

monttaal

Mar 18, 2021
Try calling IRCC and speak to an agent to get an update on your case (be prepared for long wait times). In my particular case, I informed IRCC of my marriage, and it took them 6 months to reply. I was informed (1) a week before my COPR expired that they were canceling my COPR, and then (2) a week later, the requirements I need to provide to add my spouse.

vivekrai

Jun 7, 2019
Hi,
We informed IRCC through multiple web forms and now the COPR has expired. In the Hope that they will respond soon.
Did you get a response?
regards
Hey
I got response from them asking to submit the details.
Just make sure you have few keywords in your webform like "family composition has changed".