+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marital Status Single before landing

spacecraft

Sep 30, 2017
The letter says you have to inform CIC before using your COPR and then wait for further instructions. You didn't wait for further instructions and used your COPR to land. So it's too late. You can keep asking the same question over and over again as many times as you want. The answer isn't going to change.

udbhav

Oct 11, 2017
Hi Guys,
I need some clarification.

I am in Canada on work permit. I also have CoPR as single and haven't done the landing yet.
I am going back to my country to get married. My fiancee has applied separately under express entry program as single and got the invitation to apply for PR. She would come later when she gets the CoPR.

My question is that do I need to inform CIC as soon as I get married, since my wife is applying separately and won't be accompanying me.
Also, if I inform CIC about the martial change, would they cancel my CoPR and ask to apply again. I need to come to Canada within few days after marriage.

Regards,
Udbhav Jain

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Guys,

I am in Canada on work permit. I also have CoPR as single and haven't done the landing yet.
I am going back to my country to get married. My fiancee has applied separately under express entry program as single and got the invitation to apply for PR. She would come later when she gets the CoPR.

My question is that do I need to inform CIC as soon as I get married, since my wife is applying separately and won't be accompanying me.
Also, if I inform CIC about the martial change, would they cancel my CoPR and ask to apply again. I need to come to Canada within few days after marriage.

Regards,
Udbhav Jain
Hi

Yes, you need to inform IRCC, return your COPR and add your wife to your application. It doesn't matter that she is applying separately and not accompanying you. If you land on your "single" COPR without adding your spouse, you will be committing misrepresentation.

Either postpone the wedding until after you land or postpone the landing to add your wife to your app.

tejbirsingh

Jun 7, 2017
Hi all,
I have got my CoPR in November as a single applicant. I got married on 3rd December and notified CIC about that. They have asked to fill in some forms and also surrender my CoPR. Does anyone has experience, how much time will it take for CIC to verify the additional documents and re-issue the CoPR.
Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,
I have got my CoPR in November as a single applicant. I got married on 3rd December and notified CIC about that. They have asked to fill in some forms and also surrender my CoPR. Does anyone has experience, how much time will it take for CIC to verify the additional documents and re-issue the CoPR.
Thanks
Hi

Expect 3-4 months.

momemon

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017
Hi.

I have been in Canada for 5 years. My marital status mentioned on the COPR was single.

I recently went back to my home country and got married. It's an arranged marriage. I was not planning to sponsor her right away, due to some personal reasons.

While coming back to Canada at the immigration office, I told the officer that I recently got married at my home country but the marital status mentioned on my CoPR is single. Even though I'm not sponsoring her right now do I have to update my CoPR, because I still have a valid work visa? He said its not needed at this moment.

I have seen couple of topics here on the forum with the same situation and its considered as misrepresentation, getting my PR revoked and I cannot sponsor my spouse ever? What happens if I notify this to CIC? Getting my PR revoked means am I going to be deported back to my home country?

What are my options then? Can I still call her on Visitor's or on student visa?
Question - When they stamp a single entry visa to your passport along with the issuance of CoPR, do they not cancel your existing work visa? Could you have landed on your valid work visa instead of the CoPR since your family composition was changed?

momemon

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017
If you landed using a COPR that said you were single when you were in fact married, there's nothing a lawyer can do to help you. You can never sponsor your spouse since you failed to declared them prior to landing.
On that note, what happens if I try to land a few days after my marriage in a different country (will already have informed CIC about marriage), could I still land assuming that I haven't heard from CIC during that time? And obviously also notify to the CBS officer. If not, could I enter on a valid work visa (or does that get revoked upon CoPR)?

momemon

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017
Hi Guys,

Regards,
Udbhav Jain
I am in the same boat as yours. Please advice what worked for you and what didn't?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
On that note, what happens if I try to land a few days after my marriage in a different country (will already have informed CIC about marriage), could I still land assuming that I haven't heard from CIC during that time? And obviously also notify to the CBS officer. If not, could I enter on a valid work visa (or does that get revoked upon CoPR)?
You can't land on a COPR that says "single". You must cancel that COPR, and get a new one issued that states you're married and includes your spouse's info. Your spouse must also do and pass a medical exam and police checks, before the new COPRs will be issued.

If you inform IRCC about the marriage then land anyways on your "single" COPR, that is serious misrepresentation and you can never spponsor your wife in the future.

When you return your COPR back to visa office, you can travel and enter Canada as a temporary resident (assuming you have TRV, work/study permit, etc) while waiting for spouse to be added.

momemon

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017
You can't land on a COPR that says "single". You must cancel that COPR, and get a new one issued that states you're married and includes your spouse's info. Your spouse must also do and pass a medical exam and police checks, before the new COPRs will be issued.

If you inform IRCC about the marriage then land anyways on your "single" COPR, that is serious misrepresentation and you can never spponsor your wife in the future.

When you return your COPR back to visa office, you can travel and enter Canada as a temporary resident (assuming you have TRV, work/study permit, etc) while waiting for spouse to be added.
Thank you, that is very helpful. Wondering if I have already informed IRCC about marriage and I re-enter on my work permit (can I?) instead of the CoPR and return the CoPR/Visa after arrival, would it still be a misrepresentation?

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
I would suggest what a friend of mine did... come to Canada and do a soft landing, stay 2 or 3 days then get married later.

After landing you are free to get married anytime without having to surrender your COPR.

The risk with surrendering your COPR and adding your new spouse is that they have to undergo medicals and a background check. And once that gets going if they are found inadmissible for any reason, then both of you are now inadmissible.

momemon

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017
I would suggest what a friend of mine did... come to Canada and do a soft landing, stay 2 or 3 days then get married later.

After landing you are free to get married anytime without having to surrender your COPR.

The risk with surrendering your COPR and adding your new spouse is that they have to undergo medicals and a background check. And once that gets going if they are found inadmissible for any reason, then both of you are now inadmissible.
I can most certainly do that but there is a restriction on traveling after flagpoling as a PR until I get the PR card no? My work permit will not longer be valid after landing as a PR correct?

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
I can most certainly do that but there is a restriction on traveling after flagpoling as a PR until I get the PR card no? My work permit will not longer be valid after landing as a PR correct?
Seniors can help answer the work permit aspect as I am not too sure if it would still be valid to travel with.

As being restricted to travel.. the PR card is on a travel document. If you leave Canada without one and need to come back before you have it, you can always apply for a PRTD.

Or if not in a hurry... once you land... stay for about 2 months... that should be enough time to receive the card and be able to travel and get married

Personally I prefer the landing first as opposed to returning your COPR, because if u return it, you never know how long CIC could take... it could be anything from 2 months to 12 months or even more in some cases

momemon

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017
Seniors can help answer the work permit aspect as I am not too sure if it would still be valid to travel with.

As being restricted to travel.. the PR card is on a travel document. If you leave Canada without one and need to come back before you have it, you can always apply for a PRTD.

Or if not in a hurry... once you land... stay for about 2 months... that should be enough time to receive the card and be able to travel and get married

Personally I prefer the landing first as opposed to returning your COPR, because if u return it, you never know how long CIC could take... it could be anything from 2 months to 12 months or even more in some cases
I'd be in a hurry to return back to work within 3-4 weeks.
I do not have the CoPR just yet, just a PPR request from a few days ago. Showing intention to marry at this point would still put the case on hold correct?