+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marital Status Single before landing

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
I'd be in a hurry to return back to work within 3-4 weeks.
I do not have the CoPR just yet, just a PPR request from a few days ago. Showing intention to marry at this point would still put the case on hold correct?
As per CIC regulations any significant changes in your application would have to be reported to them.. however intention is something totally different from actually getting married....

Intention to marry does not change your application, however getting married does...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you, that is very helpful. Wondering if I have already informed IRCC about marriage and I re-enter on my work permit (can I?) instead of the CoPR and return the CoPR/Visa after arrival, would it still be a misrepresentation?
When you arrive, you will need to tell CBSA that you got married and are returning your documents to add your spouse. They should allow you to enter as a worker.

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
I'd be in a hurry to return back to work within 3-4 weeks.
I do not have the CoPR just yet, just a PPR request from a few days ago. Showing intention to marry at this point would still put the case on hold correct?
My personal advice would be to land... get your PR then get married....

Saves you the pain of starting the whole process all over again

My friend came... stayed six months... went back home and got married... came back 2 weeks after then about to years later his wife got PR

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I can most certainly do that but there is a restriction on traveling after flagpoling as a PR until I get the PR card no? My work permit will not longer be valid after landing as a PR correct?
Correct. After becoming a PR, you are ineligible for permits and visas. They are automatically void, regardless of whether they have been physically voided or not.

Navsukh21

Oct 3, 2018
As mentioned in your other thread: (1) you can never apply to sponsor your husband; (2) you obtained your PR status through fraud by getting married before landing (once you got married you no longer qualified to be a dependent in your mother's application) and if IRCC finds out, you can expect they will move to revoke your PR status.[/QUOTE
Please help me. I got married before getting COPR approval and informed immigration by webform along with all the necessary documents in June. After 3 months they sent me Copr approval. When I went to complete landing procedure I came to know that my status is still single. I haven’t completed the landing procedure and living in Quebec on work visa. I have again sent the webform along with documents and acknowledging that I have already informed on October 5 . As It was immigration’s mistake but I haven’t heard back anything. Call centre agents said they have no information and my status is still single. Can You please tell me what should I do

Navsukh21

Oct 3, 2018
Please help me. I got married before getting COPR approval and informed immigration by webform along with all the necessary documents in June. After 3 months they sent me Copr approval. When I went to complete landing procedure I came to know that my status is still single. I haven’t completed the landing procedure and living in Quebec on work visa. I have again sent the webform along with documents and acknowledging that I have already informed on October 5 . As It was immigration’s mistake but I haven’t heard back anything. Call centre agents said they have no information and my status is still single. Can You please tell me what should I do

GChoudari

Dec 29, 2018
I would definitely call them. But I just need to know what are my options if anyone has faced a similar situation.
Hi,
I have a similar issue as the one you have faced. My husband received his PR and got it stamped in may 2018, we got married in Aug 2018 and he landed on Nov 2018. He was not aware of updating cic on marital status since he presumed stamping was the last process and he landed as a single. Could I please know how did you deal with the situation ? Can I appeal under H&C grounds ? Or can I apply for a study permit ?

GChoudari

Dec 29, 2018
Hello,
I am in same situation. Could you share your experience. How you came out of it and were you able to sponsor your wife.

Thanks
Hi I am in the same situation. Could you please help me as to how you dealt with it and were you able to s

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
I have a similar issue as the one you have faced. My husband received his PR and got it stamped in may 2018, we got married in Aug 2018 and he landed on Nov 2018. He was not aware of updating cic on marital status since he presumed stamping was the last process and he landed as a single. Could I please know how did you deal with the situation ? Can I appeal under H&C grounds ? Or can I apply for a study permit ?
If he already landed, there is nothing you can do. It's too late. He can never sponsor you and an appeal will not be successful. When he received his COPR, he was also notified by IRCC that he was required to notify them of any significant changes to his family composition. Since he failed to do this, you are forever excluded as a family member and can never be sponsor for PR by him. At this point, you have two choices: (1) qualify for PR on your own through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry without any help from your husband; (2) have your husband renounce his PR status and apply for PR again from scratch, this time including you in the application.

Reactions: YVR123

GChoudari

Dec 29, 2018
Thank you.Can I apply for a student permit since I am interested in doing my masters and apply for a PR on my own ? Without having sponsored by my husband. Would there be any issues in me applying for it ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you.Can I apply for a student permit since I am interested in doing my masters and apply for a PR on my own ? Without having sponsored by my husband. Would there be any issues in me applying for it ?
You can certainly try to do that. Note that your chances of getting a study permit approved will likely be lower since your husband is Canadian. You will want to demonstrate strong ties to your home country when you apply. You'll need to show a bank balance of at least $25K to apply.

Ptushar0209

Oct 26, 2021
Stuck in same situation

Punishment seems very harsh for people who simply have no intention to lie or hide or gain anything from not declaring their new marital status. But they just end up with misrepresentation charges just because of lack of awareness. Does that make them criminal? No. Do they deserve a lifetime ban? Guess No.

when did they stopped sending out letters specifically targeting the concerns of marital status change just before they issue COPR? Never received in my case. If I had, I would have declared at the same time and saved myself from the agony of not seeing my wife for last 16 months

when did they stopped sending out COPRs which had the clear indication of “marital
Status” on it?
Again - never happened in my case. Was just asked to send copy of COPR & two
Photos to get my PR card

when did they stopped checking out COPR at the airport and complete landing process where people get another opportunity to declare their marital status?
Again - They simply let me clear immigration on the basis of my work permit where I mentioning that I have my COPR as well to the officer but he just let me go

I understand I was wrong on a part that I need to declare my marital
Status but it was just lack of awareness at my part.
Actual misrepresentation would be I declaring as “Single” if I had given the same opportunities mentioned above

This is not fair at many points and surely need guidance from senior member of the community

Happy to provide more details and clarity on my scenario if you have some course of action

Thank you

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
when did they stopped sending out COPRs which had the clear indication of “marital
Status” on it?
Again - never happened in my case. Was just asked to send copy of COPR & two
This is not fair at many points and surely need guidance from senior member of the community
Short form answer, if you are going to make the claim that at no point during your application and landing were you told or warned that you must advise IRCC if your marital status changes before 'landing' (virtual or physical), you had better be 100% certain that this is factual. (I do not know your case but suspect this is wrong - I bet if you check the original application under which you received PR, the app and instructions warned about this).

My suggestion is that if you wish to make the strongest case you can, you will need a lawyer to write your response. I do not have any idea whether this has much chance of success.