+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marital Status Single before landing

Ptushar0209

Oct 26, 2021
Short form answer, if you are going to make the claim that at no point during your application and landing were you told or warned that you must advise IRCC if your marital status changes before 'landing' (virtual or physical), you had better be 100% certain that this is factual. (I do not know your case but suspect this is wrong - I bet if you check the original application under which you received PR, the app and instructions warned about this).

My suggestion is that if you wish to make the strongest case you can, you will need a lawyer to write your response. I do not have any idea whether this has much chance of success.
Yes I come to understanding now that how bad it is not to inform them of my marital
Status change. But it happened due to lack of awareness and believe me my remorse is great.
My point is that IRCC’s procedure should be standard for all applicants it includes what communication is being sent out at what stage of application.
I never received the letter before COPR, I was never asked if I am inside canada or outside canada (not too sure on this but I read it somewhere online that they do make calls or reach out to confirm), I learned that landing process was different for inland and outland COPR holders. Some COPR that I have seen clearly states marital staus on COPR itself - atleast that way someone can try to rectify the issue and have COPR corrected for marital status.
In my case - I am still wondering how my landing process completed. I was in India when I received my COPR, when I had my active work permit. After COPR, that work permit becomes void as per my understanding. So when you go to canada you show COPR and they again asks you questions about marital status/ employment/address change. When I came back to canda I showed both my work permit & COPR but I was asked nothing and let through. I guess that was not landing process
Once inside canda - I was asked to submit COPR & photo to get my PR card.
So not sure, when they say one must declare correct marital status at point of entry/ landing process- where exactly in my case?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I did not see your documents and so can't comment. No point debating the point or fairness with me, speak to a lawyer.

Ptushar0209

Oct 26, 2021
I did not see your documents and so can't comment. No point debating the point or fairness with me, speak to a lawyer.
Sorry. I was just laying down my points in general & situation that I am going through right now.
I am here for guidance and discussing few things that I witnessed
Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Sorry. I was just laying down my points in general & situation that I am going through right now.
Thanks
You should review the docs and correspondence you had from IRCC carefully. If there are points where you affirmed things that are not true, it will cause problems.

Specifically, you say you received copr whole in India, while my understanding was that the virtual landing process required you to confirm you were in Canada. And presumably other facts like family composition but I'm not privy to what you received.

If that's the case, you will have a problem with your argument.

Your entry to Canada with copr and work permit was a bit odd too.

That said some of these procedures were new and perhaps there were mistakes. But you must be certain. Good luck.

Ptushar0209

Oct 26, 2021
You should review the docs and correspondence you had from IRCC carefully. If there are points where you affirmed things that are not true, it will cause problems.

Specifically, you say you received copr whole in India, while my understanding was that the virtual landing process required you to confirm you were in Canada. And presumably other facts like family composition but I'm not privy to what you received.

If that's the case, you will have a problem with your argument.

Your entry to Canada with copr and work permit was a bit odd too.

That said some of these procedures were new and perhaps there were mistakes. But you must be certain. Good luck.
Thanks

I do agree on initial part that it’s applicants responsibility to declare change in family composition. Unfortunately I did not know and that was an honest mistake. If I would have know at that time we weren’t having this conversation in the first place. But I was pretty certain on the part where IRCC send in communication before they issue COPR. Have seen that letter coming to couple of my closest friends. When you are not aware about specific requirement you tend to believe the standard procedure that IRCC follows especially when it’s happening in your circle who applied for PR through same stream. In my case this standard procedure was communication from IRCC before COPR, marital status clearly mentioned on COPR and detailed landing process. Unfortunately I was not given this opportunities. And that’s what my base of argument is. Why there is randomness when the process is same?
I strongly believe that this would have avoided if I was so given the same opportunity in fairness
This is indeed needs to be discussed with my lawyer
But, thanks for responding and sorry if at any point you feel like it got off track

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I do agree on initial part that it’s applicants responsibility to declare change in family composition. Unfortunately I did not know and that was an honest mistake.
You are repeating the same points with no additional information.

But I was pretty certain on the part where IRCC send in communication before they issue COPR. Have seen that letter coming to couple of my closest friends. When you are not aware about specific requirement you tend to believe the standard procedure that IRCC follows especially when it’s happening in your circle who applied for PR through same stream. In my case this standard procedure was communication from IRCC before COPR, marital status clearly mentioned on COPR and detailed landing process. Unfortunately I was not given this opportunities. And that’s what my base of argument is.
I don't know details of your case but it doesn't sound like you attempted to correct the oversight anywhere, but just continued to sponsor your spouse (timing also not clear). But again: you need to act reasonably quickly and (my opinion) engage counsel and respond. It won't help to convince anyone here.

To do so, I strongly recommend you get together all the documentary evidence (and any undocumented eg verbal) together with a complete timeline for the lawyer.

-Timeline of all dates relevant to your case - applications, entry/exit to Canada, communication with/from IRCC, etc. This needs to go back to before you applied to PR status (at least to how you ended up in Canada to apply).
-For each timeline date, clearly identify and get copies of all relevant documents (your application, correspondence, emails, etc).

Include any info / forms you provided and especially signed (physical or virtual), and any communications / instructions from IRCC. If you don't have a copy - get it, or note it, and describe briefly content to best of your recollection. If it's not a document but eg a conversation (if you spoke with IRCC), summarize what you were told to best of your ability.

You don't need to spend much time summarizing your argument - the lawyer will get both that and the point of what is needed very quickly (you want to sponsor your spouse). They will know the law and regs (or find out). What they will not have is the evidence to support your case.

Again, I don't think your case sounds very strong, but that's just one opinion of someone on the internet. Given the substance of your claim - that what you were provided did not, contrary to standard IRCC procedure, have anything about family composition (nor the usual "I swear this is true" oaths/signatures) - you can only show this with evidence.

Note it's possible your lawyer will quickly determine you are wrong - based on the documents you prepare - and this is not your best argument, and suggest a better way. Or other advice. Either way, you'll need the actual docs to show them.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Punishment seems very harsh . . .
The situation where PR applicants fail to disclose a marital partner or dependent, especially where a marriage takes place after applying but prior to landing, is not uncommon. The consequences are indeed severe, even "harsh." That said, generally, at least so far as we see these cases reported, IRCC does not proceed to terminate the PR's status based on the misrepresentation (the PR having overtly or by omission misrepresenting their marital status). It could, however, and I vaguely recall some cases in which it has.

On the more favourable side of things, I also vaguely recall some isolated instances in which there was relief, based on H&C considerations, from the ban of sponsoring a family member who was not declared and examined prior to the PR's landing. HOWEVER, this may be limited to cases allowing sponsorship of an undeclared child in extenuating circumstances. Even then, even in extenuating circumstances, such relief is the exception, and a very uncommon if not rare exception.

At the least, what is reported tends to indicate the ban on sponsoring an undeclared marital partner is almost always enforced, and perhaps so much so it is virtually always.

As @armoured more or less intimated, what the law should be is one thing, and that is indeed something oft times discussed in some topics here.

But relative to addressing how to best navigate the system, trying to understand what happened, why, what will happen, what options there are, then what matters is what the rules actually are and how they are applied. For these questions what the law should be is not relevant.

In any event, yes, the consequences are harsh. But they are not actually punitive . . . there is no imprisonment. No criminal charges let alone convictions. And as I noted, it appears this does not typically result in proceedings to terminate the PR's status.

But yes, the door is shut on a family class sponsorship for PR status in Canada.

That is how it is. I suspect reiterating it comes across harsh. Not nearly so harsh as the reality for those affected. Like you it seems. Potentially having to give up plans (if not the dream) of living a life in Canada, in order to live life with one's partner (unless the partner can qualify for and independently obtain status in Canada).

What About An Innocent Oversight?

Some may think this is a tangent deserving more attention than it typically gets. But then proceed to frame the issue in terms of whether the mistake deserves the penalty imposed.

And, after all, the Canadian government has also made a mistake: it has allowed an individual to land and become a Permanent Resident of Canada even though not all of that individual's dependents have been examined as required by law. Remember, IRCC does not decide or choose what the law is. Remember that IRCC is bound by the law as much as those applying for status in Canada. The law requires IRCC to examine ALL dependents before granting a Foreign National PR status. IRCC failed to do that.

This could lead to comparing relative culpability . . . who is to blame? Skipping that for a bit (albeit acknowledging that obviously, in these cases the failure to examine a dependent is more about the sponsor's failure to even declare the dependent than IRCC's failure to do what the law mandates) . . . I am not sure, not at all sure, but I suspect there is a remedy.

But probably NOT the remedy you were contemplating.

You can renounce your PR status. And start from scratch. Reapply for PR. Properly list your dependents, including your spouse, so they can be examined.

To be honest, I have not seen any reports about anyone pursuing this. I do not know why not. I wonder what becomes of people in these situations. Is living in Canada worth more than love? Or do most just give up on a life in Canada?

I really am curious why we have seen no reports from PRs in this situation just starting over. As long as the renouncing of PR status occurs BEFORE any formal allegations of misrepresentation, the prior history should have minimal if any impact on a new PR application (acknowledging that I am not sure this is how it would go, and frankly I would talk to a lawyer about this before doing it).

But in terms of what "penalty" should be imposed, or what is "fair," perhaps contract law offers an illustrative analogy: if there is a mutual mistake underlying a contract, the remedy is novation, setting the contract aside. IRCC completed the process pursuant to which you became a PR based on the erroneous premise ALL your dependents were properly examined. You similarly claim your role in that process was innocent, that your failure to have your spouse examined (as the law requires) was an innocent oversight. OK. Set aside the landing. Start over. Including having your spouse examined.

But there is no provision in the law for this. Well, except the landing can be effectively set aside by renouncing PR status and starting over. Starting over declaring your marital partner, and your marital partner then going through the dependent examination procedure.

I am not an expert. I do not know if this would really work. I would go over it with a lawyer before trying it.

As for the merits relative to culpability:

when did they stopped sending out COPRs which had the clear indication of “marital
Status” on it?
Even though, as @armoured notes, the specific content of the documents in your particular case is not on the table, here, so in regards to your situation no one here can definitively declare the amount of respective culpability, despite that we do now that in one form or another PR visa applications include a provision in the signature box that requires the applicant to not only affirm the information provided is "true, correct and complete," but also that the applicant agrees "to advise" IRCC "if any information on this form changes . . . " Change in marital status is a big one. No need for anyone to remind or emphasize this.

As for the information in the CoPR . . . well, let's not quibble. I expect you signed verifying that the information (mostly vital statistics and other key details like date of birth) was true That almost certainly included a notation as to marital status (even if one had to cross-refence the coding).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The situation where PR applicants fail to disclose a marital partner or dependent, especially where a marriage takes place after applying but prior to landing, is not uncommon. The consequences are indeed severe, even "harsh."
As @armoured more or less intimated, what the law should be is one thing, and that is indeed something oft times discussed in some topics here.
But yes, the door is shut on a family class sponsorship for PR status in Canada.
I agree with the above overall. I'd just note that IMO other equitable solutions would be / should be theoretically possible without fundamentally undermining the immigration system ... but that is a much bigger topic as it may require significant changes to laws and regulations.

BUT: IRCC could and should do a far better job of WARNING in great big neon letters that this is critical and MUST be done, or BAD THINGS HAPPEN. Since the consequences are basically unavoidable and permanent, some minimum standard of fairness (IMHO) would require IRCC to make it as clear as possible. The current docs fall short of that (IMO).

[Yes, while 'telling the truth' is a requirement and 'material facts' / omissions violate that - there is SOME subjectivity in the concept of what is material and essential. IRCC should make that explicit in this case.]

I really am curious why we have seen no reports from PRs in this situation just starting over.
I think the biggest barrier is that for those who are in Canada and settled or who have qualified in programs that more or less require continuous presence in Canada, it simply may not be feasible or practical.

we do know that in one form or another PR visa applications include a provision in the signature box that requires the applicant to not only affirm the information provided is "true, correct and complete," but also that the applicant agrees "to advise" IRCC "if any information on this form changes . . . " Change in marital status is a big one. No need for anyone to remind or emphasize this.

As for the information in the CoPR . . . well, let's not quibble. I expect you signed verifying that the information (mostly vital statistics and other key details like date of birth) was true That almost certainly included a notation as to marital status (even if one had to cross-refence the coding).
This is why the original story is problematic - in short (and in separate PM to me) claims that there was no communication at all before issuing the COPR, which was done while applicant was abroad. (And then no questions or landing procedure done at border at all).

So: it REALLY REALLY depends what is on the COPR and in what form it is written.

First and foremost: whether it is the full-form COPR and has the statement 'marital status' and the 'all the above is true' statement and signing.

OR: whether it is the eCOPR form that appears to be used for virtual landings (of those inland). The precise form of which I do not know in detail (never seen). And my understanding is that the eCOPR/virtual landing part requires a form of oath/statement that the applicant is IN CANADA (and presumably recital/confirmation of other facts, i.e.signature stating that nothing has changed).

[A side warning that there is potential danger here for the sponsor: if the process DID require that the (now-)sponsor verify that he was in Canada before getting the emailed COPR, OR if the actual PR application type required that the (now-)sponsor remain in Canada to become a PR, there could be a far worse underlying case of misrepresentation that could - conceivably - have even worse consequences than not being able to sponsor spouse.]

BUT: I believe this whole process happened during covid, indeed, at the time when IRCC was changing some things wholesale. That's why I don't exclude that mistakes were made.

To do a proper analysis however, one would have to see ALL the docs and correspondence.

Hence: see a lawyer. If there really is a case there (which I still doubt), it requires thorough document review and experience with IRCC.

Ptushar0209

Oct 26, 2021
@armoured & @dpenabill

Thank you for your res

Here’s the timeline for your reference:
Nov 2019 - express entry profile
Created
Dec 2019 - invited to apply under CEC
Jan 2020 - submitted my PR application
(No plans of getting married at this point)
Feb 2020 - agreed for arranged marriage and went to india to get married
June 4, 2020 - Received COPR on email while I was still in india
Aug 22,2020 - I came back to canada, showed visa officer both my work permit and COPR and less than 5 min I was asked to clear the immigration

My doubt is when exactly I went through landing process? Do they consider that my landing date as 4th June when they issued my COPR ? There is no mention of Marital status on my COPR as opposed to what I have seen other COPR format. They never questioned about my marital status at airport when I actually landed Aug 22, 2020. I guess that was not actual landing process. Process of me sending them copy of COPR and photo is what my landing process is? If so, how I am supposed to declare my status if there is no instructions provided, no interview with visa officer, no questions asked, no forms to fill.

when I applied I was single and go married during the process. And I know now how serious the matter is. But at that time I had no understanding of what’s being missed out. But no where after my marriage I had seen the question about my marital status pop up in any form of communication with IRCC. Not even at the time of landing at POE
I hope this gives some clarity on where I am coming from. Due to this lack of awareness I infact started working towards applying for marriage certificate, passport, changing name of my wife on all government Ids. It was peak of Covid and offices were either shut or working on limited capacity. I did not have any legal document in my hand to prove that I was legally married and passport for my wife. And before I get marriage certificate I received my COPR & I decided to came back and complete the remaining formalities. Lil did I know that I will be definitely going to asked by immigration that if there’s any change in my family composition.

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@armoured & @dpenabill

Thank you for your res

Created
Aug 22,2020 - I came back to canada, showed visa officer both my work permit and COPR and less than 5 min I was asked to clear the immigration

My doubt is when exactly I went through landing process? Do they consider that my landing date as 4th June when they issued my COPR ? There is no mention of Marital status on my COPR as opposed to what I have seen other COPR format. They never questioned about my marital status at airport when I actually landed Aug 22, 2020. I guess that was not actual landing process. Process of me sending them copy of COPR and photo is what my landing process is? If so, how I am supposed to declare my status if there is no instructions provided, no interview with visa officer, no questions asked, no forms to fill.

when I applied I was single and go married during the process. And I know now how serious the matter is. But at that time I had no understanding of what’s being missed out. But no where after my marriage I had seen the question about my marital status pop up in any form of communication with IRCC. Not even at the time of landing at POE
I hope this gives some clarity on where I am coming from. Due to this lack of awareness I infact started working towards applying for marriage certificate, passport, changing name of my wife on all government Ids. It was peak of Covid and offices were either shut or working on limited capacity. I did not have any legal document in my hand to prove that I was legally married and passport for my wife. And before I get marriage certificate I received my COPR & I decided to came back and complete the remaining formalities. Lil did I know that I will be definitely going to asked by immigration that if there’s any change in my family composition.

Thank you
Based on this timeline, you became a PR in August 2020. The instructions you received with your COPR would have indicated that you needed to declare any material changes to family composition before landing.

Unfortunately based on this timeline, you will never be able to sponsor your spouse for PR.

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
It is an unfortunate situation you are in, @Ptushar0209. While I doubt resolution will be favorable, I hope you find a way forward. Having to choose between staying in Canada and the opportunities that may present and new spouse is not enviable.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@armoured & @dpenabill

Thank you for your res

Created

Thank you
To clarify, your change in marital status would have NOT been declared at landing. You needed to declare the change in marital status before landing. Landing is too late and this is why you weren't asked about your marital status then.

Once you got married, you were supposed to notify IRCC and let them know. Then complete all of the forms required to add your spouse to your application, including having your spouse complete a medical and PCCs. If you received the COPR without declaring your spouse, you were required to contact the visa office, tell them you were no longer single and not use that COPR to travel to Canada and become a PR.

Basically the declaration of your spouse does not happen at landing. You need to do that before landing and not use your COPR to land.

Last edited:

Ptushar0209

Oct 26, 2021
Yes. Totally learned the lesson that I did a mistake not declaring my marital status change.
Based on this timeline, you became a PR in August 2020. The instructions you received with your COPR would have indicated that you needed to declare any material changes to family composition before landing.

Unfortunately based on this timeline, you will never be able to sponsor your spouse for PR.
Exactly my point. COPR that I received did not have my marital status on it & did not have any instructions at all about my marital status change. It only asked me to submit the copy along with photo and that's what I did after coming back to Canada. I know now that it was my mistake that I was not aware of this ground rule but at the same time it also not fair that I did not get any opportunity to correct it where I have seen and applicants receiving
1. Letter from IRCC before they issue COPR, asking them that your application in final stage and you need to inform if there is any change before they issue COPR
2. COPR itself contains marital status section
3. My GCMS notes says that I did not declare correct marital status at the time of landing and my saying what was the landing process that I went through and did not declare my status. It just never happened in my case. To whom I needed to declare my status when I was landed?
No instructions of virtual landing was sent out to me. It was my last chance to enter my details and have this all corrected.

It is very unfortunate for me not to receive any of the above mentioned communication from IRCC. If I had, my life would be much better than what it is right now. Hard to see how process varies for every individual even though they have applied for same application

It would make it a lot easier for me to just insert picture of what I am talking about but I don't know how to post picture on here

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes. Totally learned the lesson that I did a mistake not declaring my marital status change.

Exactly my point. COPR that I received did not have my marital status on it & did not have any instructions at all about my marital status change. It only asked me to submit the copy along with photo and that's what I did after coming back to Canada. I know now that it was my mistake that I was not aware of this ground rule but at the same time it also not fair that I did not get any opportunity to correct it where I have seen and applicants receiving
1. Letter from IRCC before they issue COPR, asking them that your application in final stage and you need to inform if there is any change before they issue COPR
3. My GCMS notes says that I did not declare correct marital status at the time of landing and my saying what was the landing process that I went through and did not declare my status. It just never happened in my case. To whom I needed to declare my status when I was landed?
No instructions of virtual landing was sent out to me. It was my last chance to enter my details and have this all corrected.

It is very unfortunate for me not to receive any of the above mentioned communication from IRCC. If I had, my life would be much better than what it is right now. Hard to see how process varies for every individual even though they have applied for same application

It would make it a lot easier for me to just insert picture of what I am talking about but I don't know how to post picture on here
I don't see any point in inserting the picture. None of us are IRCC and we aren't the ones you have to convince. We are only quoting the rules.

It sounds like you want to puruse this so I'd recommend hiring a good Canadian immigration lawyer to help you. That lawyer will likely tell you to submit the spousal sponsorship application anyway and then be prepared to appeal when it's refused.

That's really your next step. There's nothing you can post here that's going to help you and nothing any of us can do to help you (we aren't the decision makers, we are normal people like you). You are really in lawyer and appeal territory at this point. I would focus your efforts there.

Reactions: armoured

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

One more comment... If you want to try to find past appeals and see results, you can try searching on canlii.

https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/fct/

Reactions: Ptushar0209