+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MARCH Applicant for citizenship March , 2017

canadavisa22

Star Member
Aug 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nop!
It is not about being outside Canada for more than 183 days, it is about being in 1 country for more than 183 days over the past 4 years.

I know..it does not make any sense!
In my case, she calculated that I've been in a country for 184 days over the past 4 years, therefore wants a police certificate from that country.

Needless and pointless complication really, specially when involves different way of calculations.
I was in country "A" and left it to visit another country, "B", so why adding the day I left to the number of the days I spent in country "A"?!!!
They leave this shitty thing to the officer!!!!

What frustrates me more is that they should've asked for the police certificate BEFORE the interview, and the time spent in getting it would be within the "In Process" time.

Now, I'm left for a delay of 3 or 4 months till this damn process concludes.

And what is weird is, she asked me to go deliver the certificate to her. That is not a process.
If there is a required additional document, they should officially request by sending me an emai/mail, and I should sent that document to the processing center, not delivering it to the officer in person!!!!

I want to escalate this, but do not know how. I tried to call their stupid center, it hangs up after waiting so long.."because of large number of calls"!
Bullshit!

The entire process, and whoever deal with our applications, destinies, plans, and futures...all are bullshit.

Even escalating the matter, who guarantees that it would be sorted out?!!
I feel I'm stuck with this stupid officer.:(:(:(
I don't know much about your situation but where you mentioned this part:

"I was in country "A" and left it to visit another country, "B", so why adding the day I left to the number of the days I spent in country "A"?!!!
They leave this shitty thing to the officer!!!!"

Any part of any day spent in another country counts as a full day if you don't return at any point to Canada. So, for example, if you took a day trip to the US but returned to Canada it wouldn't count as a day out of Canada. But, if you went for the weekend (left Friday and returned Sunday) that would only count as one day.

So, unfortunately it sounds like you calculated it incorrectly in your application. Why they didn't catch that after many months spent on your application I'm not sure. It may be protocol that if you answer "NO" to that question it's only reviewed by an interviewing officer at the test.

What happens next I'm not sure. Your best bet is to simply call CIC until you get a hold of someone and can clarify where you are supposed to deliver this certificate once you have it. I know the hotline takes forever to get through, but I'm not sure of a better option at this point.

Iceberg7

Jan 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know much about your situation but where you mentioned this part:

"I was in country "A" and left it to visit another country, "B", so why adding the day I left to the number of the days I spent in country "A"?!!!
They leave this shitty thing to the officer!!!!"

Any part of any day spent in another country counts as a full day if you don't return at any point to Canada. So, for example, if you took a day trip to the US but returned to Canada it wouldn't count as a day out of Canada. But, if you went for the weekend (left Friday and returned Sunday) that would only count as one day.

So, unfortunately it sounds like you calculated it incorrectly in your application. Why they didn't catch that after many months spent on your application I'm not sure. It may be protocol that if you answer "NO" to that question it's only reviewed by an interviewing officer at the test.

What happens next I'm not sure. Your best bet is to simply call CIC until you get a hold of someone and can clarify where you are supposed to deliver this certificate once you have it. I know the hotline takes forever to get through, but I'm not sure of a better option at this point.
I guess you don't get it.
The issue is not about the days spent out of Canada.
That was within the allowed limit, or I would not be able to apply for citizenship even on first place.

That question (6.M) is about how many days spent in a certain country. If those days are more than 183, they would ask for police certificate from that country.
Let's say someone left Canada for France..and then left France for Italy before returning back to France and then back to Canada.
If the total number of days spent in France over 4 years is more 183 days, then they would ask for police certificate from France.
The point is, why counting the day I left France for Italy as a day in France not Italy?!!
Without those days, the total number of days in France is less than 183 days, and therefore a police certificate is not required.

I hope the case is clear now.

canadavisa22

Star Member
Aug 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I guess you don't get it.
The issue is not about the days spent out of Canada.
That was within the allowed limit, or I would not be able to apply for citizenship even on first place.

That question (6.M) is about how many days spent in a certain country. If those days are more than 183, they would ask for police certificate from that country.
Let's say someone left Canada for France..and then left France for Italy before returning back to France and then back to Canada.
If the total number of days spent in France over 4 years is more 183 days, then they would ask for police certificate from France.
The point is, why counting the day I left France for Italy as a day in France not Italy?!!
Without those days, the total number of days in France is less than 183 days, and therefore a police certificate is not required.

I hope the case is clear now.
Ah, my apologies, I understand now. But, perhaps they're applying the same reasoning as they would for the day count in Canada. Since you were in France at some point in that day, that counts as a day in France. It might also count as a day in Italy or they might just use the location where you started teh day to not double count.

Since you're so incredibly close to the cutoff, maybe escalate your situation to your local MP? That's the only other thing I can think of.

Gerry27

Sep 8, 2016
Hi Did my test at Scarborough on 24th morning at 9:00 AM
Got 20/20.
Was interviewed by an asian lady. First thing she told me was that I need a police certificate since I was out of the country for 183 days.
I patiently explained, its not possible and that she is counting the Same-Day trips to US as being out of the country.
She realized and accepted that and asked the reason for so many day trips to US. ( About 7 or so).
Told her my daughter loves to shop at Vera Bradley.
She laughed , was very nice and told me to expect the Oath Letter in 3 -4 months time.
E-Cas Status changed to DECISION MADE on 26th.

Please update the excel sheet, my id is scorpio27

Last edited:

Gerry27

Sep 8, 2016
Wow....finally ....after nearly 10 months
Please update my time line. ( ID: scorpio27 )
Received the Oath Invite letter.

Test Date : 24th Nov
Decision Made : 26th Nov
Letter Date : 28th Nov 17
Oath Date : 15th Dec 17

Best of luck to all....hang in there guys

Reactions: hime

hime

Jun 15, 2012
Canada
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
LANDED..........
22-05-2015
Wow....finally ....after nearly 10 months
Please update my time line. ( ID: scorpio27 )
Received the Oath Invite letter.

Test Date : 24th Nov
Decision Made : 26th Nov
Letter Date : 28th Nov 17
Oath Date : 15th Dec 17

Best of luck to all....hang in there guys
Updated

hassanzzz

Sep 27, 2017
Hello guys. I'm a Mississauga applicant. Here are my details:
  1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on March 31, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on April 19, 2017.
  3. We started processing your application on April 21, 2017.
  4. We sent you correspondence on May 29, 2017. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.

My twin brother (Oakville applicant, Hamilton test centre) also got a request for fingerprints (point #4). He had submitted his application a month later than me and he already had his test earlier this month and his oath is in December.

Do you guys have any idea on the timelines for citizenship test for Mississauga applicants from March 2017?

Last edited:

hungvangg

Mar 12, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats! can you please write about the interview? What did they ask you?
it was nothing special, and they asked what I am doing ? how long I have been in Canada?
you do not have to be stressful and it's super easy :)

sam847

Star Member
Jan 2, 2017
it was nothing special, and they asked what I am doing ? how long I have been in Canada?
you do not have to be stressful and it's super easy :)
I have quite a few travels to the US during the last four years. they might ask about those, I guess!