+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*** March 2020 INLAND Spouse Sponsorship ***

OverIt

Star Member
Feb 1, 2020
Can someone give me an advice please?
So we sent the application + OWP yesterday. It is supposed to be delivered on the 6th of April (Monday). My status expires on the 10th of April.
For some reason I thought that if my application makes it by then I'm fine, but now I hear they must start processing it, only then I'll be on an implied status. How long does it usually take them to actually start working on an application? Anybody knows?
Also, I've just applied online to extend my stay, but how will the PR + OWP office people know that I did that, or that my stay will be extended? Cuz on the application I mailed it clearly states my status in canada is valid until April 10th.
What can I do now? Is there any way I can inform them and update them if my stay gets extended?
I wouldn't want my OWP application to be rejected right away.
Any suggestions? Thank you..

Don’t panic. I think you’re ok. You’re supposed to apply to extend your status (through work permit, visitor’s record e.t.c) I believe at least 30 days before your current status expires. Some people on here have said they applied for new permits only a few days before their current permits expired so I think maybe you should be fine.

I personally sent in a sponsorship application plus OWP two months before my old work permit expired. I didn’t apply for a visitor’s record or anything. You just need to ensure that your sponsorship and OWP applications are thorough. If they are thoroughly done then they will not get sent back and you wouldn’t have to worry about running out of status.

When you send in your sponsorship and OWP applications, you have to wait for an acknowledgement of receipt email. This AOR usually comes 6 weeks after your application is received. However, due to this pandemic, it is taking a couple of months for some people to receive their AOR. The AOR email is what IRCC sends you to let you know that your application is complete. You have to receive this AOR email before your application can actually begin processing. After receiving this AOR, your OWP should be approved in about 2 to 3 months.

During this pandemic though, everything will probably take much longer than usual so you’ll have to exercise a lot of patience.

All in all, if your sponsorship and OWP applications were done correctly, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. You just have to wait.

Reactions: Natus7

Natus7

Mar 27, 2020
Don’t panic. I think you’re ok. You’re supposed to apply to extend your status (through work permit, visitor’s record e.t.c) I believe at least 30 days before your current status expires. Some people on here have said they applied for new permits only a few days before their current permits expired so I think maybe you should be fine.

I personally sent in a sponsorship application plus OWP two months before my old work permit expired. I didn’t apply for a visitor’s record or anything. You just need to ensure that your sponsorship and OWP applications are thorough. If they are thoroughly done then they will not get sent back and you wouldn’t have to worry about running out of status.

When you send in your sponsorship and OWP applications, you have to wait for an acknowledgement of receipt email. This AOR usually comes 6 weeks after your application is received. However, due to this pandemic, it is taking a couple of months for some people to receive their AOR. The AOR email is what IRCC sends you to let you know that your application is complete. You have to receive this AOR email before your application can actually begin processing. After receiving this AOR, your OWP should be approved in about 2 to 3 months.

During this pandemic though, everything will probably take much longer than usual so you’ll have to exercise a lot of patience.

All in all, if your sponsorship and OWP applications were done correctly, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. You just have to wait.
Thank you for replying! :)
Been worrying cuz I have read somewhere that my OWP may get rejected straight away if they see my status is no longer valid when they process my application.
I do hope my application was thorough though ;) I've applied to extend my stay, so now there's nothing else I could possibly do but wait.
Good luck to you!

Irina_ua

Sep 4, 2019
Thank you for replying! :)
Been worrying cuz I have read somewhere that my OWP may get rejected straight away if they see my status is no longer valid when they process my application.
I do hope my application was thorough though ;) I've applied to extend my stay, so now there's nothing else I could possibly do but wait.
Good luck to you!
I’m in the same situation. I sent my sponsorship package on March 12th, they received it on the 13th and I still didn’t get the confirmation from government but my visitor record expires on April 16th.
Did you apply for a new visitor record online as a family member of Canadian citizen?

Natus7

Mar 27, 2020
I’m in the same situation. I sent my sponsorship package on March 12th, they received it on the 13th and I still didn’t get the confirmation from government but my visitor record expires on April 16th.
Did you apply for a new visitor record online as a family member of Canadian citizen?
We should be fine. As long as it has been received, I was told, we are on an implied status. I did apply online to extend my stay:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/apply.html

JamesBarnes

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
We should be fine. As long as it has been received, I was told, we are on an implied status. I did apply online to extend my stay:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/apply.html
I’m somebody who’s been there (August Inland 2019 applicant currently waiting for landing interview)

Basically if your status is going to expire any time soon, absolutely apply to extend your visitor status. If your status expires before you get your work permit then you will be on implied status. While that’s fine, it’s a risky move. If your application is sent back for whatever reason, you’d have to apply for restoration of status which takes a while and can be a pain.

If you have applied for the extension and you don’t hear back before your visitor status expires and you’re given your work permit, don’t worry! You get implied status from the visitor visa extension. The Agent would look at your file and see there was an extension application also. If you’re lucky, you’ll get your OWP before you hear anything back from the visitor extension (last time I checked, it was over 100 days to get a response for a visitor extension).

That scenario happened to me. I got my OWP before they even started processing the visitor extension. Once I got my OWP, I sent in a webform withdrawing my visitor extension and got the $100 fee refunded pretty swiftly!

heretogether

Mar 29, 2020
Send it with UPS.
They delivered mine in 1 day!
I had bad experience with canadapost .. it might easily take 7 8 days even with express ..
Should have read this before i sent. Sent mine with Xpresspost on last wednesday for next day delivery but still waiting. It's even out for delivery since yesterday.

What does "Out for delivery - delivery pending" mean?

Mice

Star Member
Mar 19, 2020
Should have read this before i sent. Sent mine with Xpresspost on last wednesday for next day delivery but still waiting. It's even out for delivery since yesterday.

They put the mail into delivery box and separate destination, then wait for someone pick it up and delivery.

Last edited:

DirtyMelodies

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
Basically if your status is going to expire any time soon, absolutely apply to extend your visitor status. If your status expires before you get your work permit then you will be on implied status. While that’s fine, it’s a risky move. If your application is sent back for whatever reason, you’d have to apply for restoration of status which takes a while and can be a pain.
I cannot stress this enough as well. We sent the OWP application in the same enveloppe as our sponsorship application. It was received on August 2nd, and my boyfriend's IEC permit expired on October 1st. We thought ''It's fine, he'll be on implied status until he gets the OWP in the mail''. Well, on October 7th, we got the OWP application back in the mail, because he had missed a signature. He had to quit his job, apply for restoration (300$, if I recall correctly), and waited 4 months to be told ''LOL, you're not eligible for a new work permit until you get your AIP, sorry not sorry''.

So yeah... He's been stuck home since October, unable to work and out of status. Absolutely extend your visitor status ASAP, in case your stuff gets sent back.

ACanada1

Mar 25, 2020

do not worry. Sometime they send delivery confirmation with 2 3 days delay!!
It means it on the truck to deliver but sometime they have so many boxes that it might take 2 days until they deliver all the load of that truck ..