+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost Job while permanent residence application in process

bruna.baldan

May 30, 2019
Hi.
I have a question. I got the Ontario Nomination and applied for Permanentr Residence (paper based) and for a Work Permit using the Work Permit Support letter from the nomination. The work permit is for 2 years and it’s restricted to the company who supported in the nomination program. My PR application will take around 1 and half to be processed. My question is: what happens is I lost my job wait waiting for PR? Do I lose my PR process? Thank you.

Shantisb

Jun 29, 2017
Hi.
I have a question. I got the Ontario Nomination and applied for Permanentr Residence (paper based) and for a Work Permit using the Work Permit Support letter from the nomination. The work permit is for 2 years and it’s restricted to the company who supported in the nomination program. My PR application will take around 1 and half to be processed. My question is: what happens is I lost my job wait waiting for PR? Do I lose my PR process? Thank you.
I have the same question, can anyone answer this??
I also wanted to know if I could apply for Express entry while PR process is in progress through PNP?
Thank you in advance.

Noumsi

Mar 1, 2017
I have the same question, can anyone answer this??
I also wanted to know if I could apply for Express entry while PR process is in progress through PNP?
Thank you in advance.
I am that situation right now...don't know what to do. Will contact the province and go from there.

Taurusboy83

Sep 26, 2019
hello can somebody help me my work permit valid until 2021 and i already apply for permanent residency and my pnp letter is not restricted and i have already an AoR from cic but sad to say i lost my job my question is...1.can i apply for bridging open work permit even my closed work permit expire 2021 2.or do i need to look for employer 1st before i apply BOWP 3.can i apply BOWP without joboffer? Thanks for response

collins4be

Star Member
Jun 11, 2019
There is another thing I forgot to mention.

Because of my passport validation, I didn't receive full duration on PGWP work permit (which is 3 years), and I received 2 years and 5 months of validation.

My PGWP work permit has following remarks:
  • DOCUMENT ISSUED TO PASSPORT EXPIRY DATE; MUST BE RENEWED FOR FURTHER EXTENSIONS. POST GRADUATE WORK PROGRAM.
am I eligible to apply for extension of my PGWP work permit ?

That's the only thing which I received based on my education.
Yes, 100%, just reapply for pgwp and add a letter of explanation and your new passport, they will issue you the remaining time. I went through that

Zelong

Jun 27, 2017
Sure. Thank @Fabiorf please keep posted.

Update on my end, received a work permit support letter from OINP today in mail with same Employer.

I am looking for other jobs now. Not sure what will be my next step from there.

May be @Wonderland_1010 you could help/answer my questions, following are confusions:
  • Let say I got another job, and employer is ready to do what ever is required for my work permit
  • Do I need to tell OINP that, I am laid off by my X employer, and I found a new employer ?
  • Should I just simply ask them that, I have new employer for the same Job (NOC code), so can you just issue a new work permit support letter with new employer name on it ?
  • also should I ask them that, they will inform IRCC about my change job or I should tell IRCC?
So, have you received your PR so far?

Optimall

Star Member
Aug 30, 2017
hello can somebody help me my work permit valid until 2021 and i already apply for permanent residency and my pnp letter is not restricted and i have already an AoR from cic but sad to say i lost my job my question is...1.can i apply for bridging open work permit even my closed work permit expire 2021 2.or do i need to look for employer 1st before i apply BOWP 3.can i apply BOWP without joboffer? Thanks for response
Did you apply for nomination as a student? How is it that your pnp letter is not restricted?

Rennie

Jul 5, 2018
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
Hi,

(My apologies for posting this question in different forums but in trying to get as much exposure as possible)

I received PNP from Ontario in April 2018 and applied for PR in June. My PGWP is expiring on February 2020 - next month. In October 2019, I applied for a work permit based on my PNP work support letter (which is restricted to my current employer) and my work permit application was refused 3 days ago on the basis that I failed to include an offer of employment number (for LMIA exempt applicants).

I'm feeling so anxious and seriously stressed. I've been here 7 years now and I feel like everything is going down the drain.

What will happen to my PR application after my work permit expires and I'm forced to stop working? I've asked my employer to register in the employer portal so I can get the offer of employment number and reapply for another work permit but their registration hasn't been approved yet so I don't know how long this is going to take.

What are my options?? If my permit expires I have to stop working, do I then inform the province of this? Do I tell IRCC? Will they cancel my PR application? And most importantly, how can I retain my status?

I'm hoping that my employer can get approval soon and I will apply for another permit and continue working until the application has been processed but if it is rejected again what should I do?

Please advise, thanks

OEJOS

Star Member
Jul 10, 2018
Hi,

(My apologies for posting this question in different forums but in trying to get as much exposure as possible)

I received PNP from Ontario in April 2018 and applied for PR in June. My PGWP is expiring on February 2020 - next month. In October 2019, I applied for a work permit based on my PNP work support letter (which is restricted to my current employer) and my work permit application was refused 3 days ago on the basis that I failed to include an offer of employment number (for LMIA exempt applicants).

I'm feeling so anxious and seriously stressed. I've been here 7 years now and I feel like everything is going down the drain.

What will happen to my PR application after my work permit expires and I'm forced to stop working? I've asked my employer to register in the employer portal so I can get the offer of employment number and reapply for another work permit but their registration hasn't been approved yet so I don't know how long this is going to take.

What are my options?? If my permit expires I have to stop working, do I then inform the province of this? Do I tell IRCC? Will they cancel my PR application? And most importantly, how can I retain my status?

I'm hoping that my employer can get approval soon and I will apply for another permit and continue working until the application has been processed but if it is rejected again what should I do?

Please advise, thanks
Sad to hear with the result. You could try re-applying for closed work permit again no worries about the expiration of your current work permit. While your closed work permit application is in process and your current work permit expires, you will still be able to continue working until you got the result of your work permit. Make sure your application is complete this time.

Reactions: Rennie

maurmore13

Star Member
Apr 24, 2018
I believe that you are eligible for a BOWP. For a BOWP you can to apply if your OWP is about to expire. Also you have to be waiting for an answer from IRCC about your PR. I think you qualify

I advice you to approach to your MP and tell him your situation. It is very weird that IRCC denied your WP.

MP had helped me with my process and its free and fast. Also they know about immigration and can advice you. Let me know if you talked to the MP

maurmore13

Star Member
Apr 24, 2018
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, so please let me know if I have posted it in wrong forum.

So here is my situation:
  • I came here as a student, graduated in 2016 summer, applied for my PGWP, got it approved in 1 month.
  • Worked for 1st employer for almost 1 year.
  • Switched to a 2nd employer in 2017 and applied for OINP - PNP - Employer Job Offer: International Student Stream at the same time, got that approved in 1 month. Applied for permanent residence in 10 days after PNP approval.
  • I got medical request in end June 2018, got it done in start of July and status is passed.
  • Now, my PGWP (which is an open work permit) is about to expire in November 2018 (in next 2 months)
  • After almost 1 year and 3 months working for 2nd employer, they have started laying-off people (because of some bad circumstances of company), and I am one of them.

Note:
  • The PNP, I have says restricted to 2nd employer name, but that was expired after 6 months of the issue date.
  • The PNP also came with Work Permit support letter with 2nd employer name on it. And it also says that "This letter must be used in support of a work permit application within 6 months to remain valid". I am not sure what does that mean.
  • My wife is a dependent in all above applications including WorkPermit, and PR.

Am I still eligible to apply for BOWP, or Open Work Permit ??

I have done little research about BOWP. here is the link about BOWP eligibility, according to this, it looks like I am not eligible:
Also I tried creating an application on CIC portal, with the situation I explained above and selected "applied for permanent residence", and "no job offer" in one of option in questioner. It gave me option for Open Work Permit, I checked the requirement of the documents, and there were simple documents it didn't even asked for PNP or PR or any supporting letter.

I am not sure what should I do :( ??? Please Help!!!
You are available for a BOWP. You are on an open work permit at the moment and your WP is about to expire while your PR is in process. Those are the requirements to get the BOWP. If you have questions you can contact your MP. They can guide and ask immigration for you what t do. Also the MP will help you to support your application for a new WP, and it's free.

Talk to the MP is the best guide and support at this moment for you. I did it for my case and was very helpful