+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost Job while permanent residence application in process

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
I got laid off and I didn't get a new job. I have closed WP ... After losing it I got Med. req. and I contacted a MP for advise cause I didn't want to waste money in medical for me and my family. He asked ircc and explained my situation, and they answered saying that I passed eligibility and criminal background check and I should go for medical test. (medical still on review). Later I got pre arrival service letter and request to pay residence fees. I paid.
I don't know what to expect
Why did the province withdraw your nomination?

smile28

Jul 10, 2018
because I was laid off and I was nominated under the job stream offer
I m in the same situation bro. I got laid off and the employer doesn’t want to help me to renew my work permit( which will expire in 2 months)
I wanna ask did you ask cic directly? Like telling them your situation and they told you to do the medical exam? And did you send the message in web form? Or you called cic?

Gurpartap singh sohi

Mar 6, 2017
@Fabiorf

Yes OP must maintain his condition of nomination while his PR is processing. So if he had got approved by OINP by providing a job offer then he must still have the job offer until the day he lands as PR.

Well to my personal experience, my brother had the same situation as OP, PNP gave him 45 days to find a new job offer and update his PNP nomination. He had already got his work permit for the current employer approved recently but he was let go at the job. Meaning he cannot work for any employer since his work permit was closed.

He told PNP and they said back to him since he got PNP based on a job offer, he must find a new job offer in 45 days before PNP will notify IRCC and cancel his PR application. So my brother found a new job offer within the 45 days and updated PNP and PNP gave him a new PNP certificate with work permit support letter
Hello, Is your brother applied in Ontario? If yes then under which stream.
Please reply.
Thanks

S.Basra

Star Member
Sep 24, 2020
If you had obtained OINP due to a job offer that was given by your employer. Once you lose that job offer, you are also no longer qualified under OINP and hence your PR application is also invalidated.

Check your nomination certificate. It will state if there is employment restrictions. But i am assuming there is employment restrictions for your OINP.

You will need the work permit support letter from OINP but they will need to confirm your job first before issuing the letter.
Hi Dear, could you please send the link where is the information is documented "Once you lose that job offer, you are also no longer qualified under OINP and hence your PR application is also invalidated."
Thank you

S.Basra

Star Member
Sep 24, 2020
If you had obtained OINP due to a job offer that was given by your employer. Once you lose that job offer, you are also no longer qualified under OINP and hence your PR application is also invalidated.

Check your nomination certificate. It will state if there is employment restrictions. But i am assuming there is employment restrictions for your OINP.

You will need the work permit support letter from OINP but they will need to confirm your job first before issuing the letter.
@Wonderland_1010 Could you please share the source of information..

lebarnomi

Mar 24, 2024
Thanks for you reply. Are you sure about that, I will lose my PR application as well ?

And as I mentioned, my work permit is about to expire, not even sure if any other employer will accept me.

I think in any case, I'll have to call "Ontario Minister of Citizenship and Immigration" to get me a valid work permit support letter, as both my PNP and support letter were expired in Jan 2018.

Hello I have a problem I hope somebody could advise me, I applied under sinp and under close work permit and now during my probation I was terminated verbally, I was waiting on my ecopr on the pr portal will it affect my pr status thanks to those who could give an advice

Nabitsi

Nov 22, 2023
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, so please let me know if I have posted it in wrong forum.

So here is my situation:
  • I came here as a student, graduated in 2016 summer, applied for my PGWP, got it approved in 1 month.
  • Worked for 1st employer for almost 1 year.
  • Switched to a 2nd employer in 2017 and applied for OINP - PNP - Employer Job Offer: International Student Stream at the same time, got that approved in 1 month. Applied for permanent residence in 10 days after PNP approval.
  • I got medical request in end June 2018, got it done in start of July and status is passed.
  • Now, my PGWP (which is an open work permit) is about to expire in November 2018 (in next 2 months)
  • After almost 1 year and 3 months working for 2nd employer, they have started laying-off people (because of some bad circumstances of company), and I am one of them.

Note:
  • The PNP, I have says restricted to 2nd employer name, but that was expired after 6 months of the issue date.
  • The PNP also came with Work Permit support letter with 2nd employer name on it. And it also says that "This letter must be used in support of a work permit application within 6 months to remain valid". I am not sure what does that mean.
  • My wife is a dependent in all above applications including WorkPermit, and PR.

Am I still eligible to apply for BOWP, or Open Work Permit ??

I have done little research about BOWP. here is the link about BOWP eligibility, according to this, it looks like I am not eligible:
Also I tried creating an application on CIC portal, with the situation I explained above and selected "applied for permanent residence", and "no job offer" in one of option in questioner. It gave me option for Open Work Permit, I checked the requirement of the documents, and there were simple documents it didn't even asked for PNP or PR or any supporting letter.

I am not sure what should I do :( ??? Please Help!!!
Congratulations for your PR!!! I have a qq for you... I am in the same stream and I already applied for my PR, but I am looking for a new job because in the company that I am working they are firing people... so my questions are:
1. Did you have any problem because you changed your job during the PR application?
2. Did you need to do something additional to continue with your process?
3. Did you apply for a BOW?

Thank you for you time.