+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA application processing time?

Joejo

Star Member
Dec 12, 2015
My employer applied for LMIA for PR on 22nd December, last week he received an email from Service Canada.

Can anyone help me to write an explanation for this.

- Employers must demonstrate that they are reasonably able to fulfill the salary or wage offer on the current LMO application(s) as well as any other salary offered in relation to previous confirmations issued for foreign workers that have not yet commenced employment. When assessing the employer’s ability to fulfill the salary or wage offer, the net income and/or retained earnings (profits) declared on the income tax return Schedule 100/125 or signed financial statement, should be great enough to support foreign worker program-related financial obligations. When the profits declared on the income tax return or financial statements are not greater than the wage offer to the worker(s), other documents/explanations provided may be considered such as;

- Business contracts – business contracts could substantiate the capacity for future earnings, particularly for employers whose CRA documents do not support their ability to fulfil financial obligations. For example, an employer may have had financial difficulties in the previous taxation year, yet they can demonstrate the capacity for future earnings due to an increase in business. Program officers should ensure that the business contract indicates financial terms sufficient to pay the skilled worker (at least as much as the salary and benefits offered to the worker and that of any others who have been previously approved but have not commenced work).

- Non-recurrent expenses – One-time or miscellaneous expenses reported on the financial statement could be the cause for a reduced net income.

- Attrition – The departure/retirement/termination of a current/recent employee could result in additional funds being available to cover the salary of the worker.

- Moving a position from “outsourced” to “in-house” – Demonstration of cost-savings from changing a position from outsourced to in-house with copies of invoices/payments made.

- Service Canada requires that the funds to cover the salary of the worker come from regular operations, as opposed to shareholder injections or other loans. In addition, projections of future profit and growth cannot be considered for this assessment.

Jan 6, 2016
AlanKju said:
Just for reference, I'm on week 20, waiting for interview. I think that processes that goes through the holiday season are a bit affected, so hang on, 'cause you might have some weeks of waiting.

What is the maximum times to take positive LMIA?

AlanKju

Star Member
Nov 5, 2015
Brazil (for now...)
Category........
NOC Code......
2141 - Industrial Engineer
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-Sep-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Oct-15
Interview........
27-Jan-2016
August 2014 ainp said:
lmia approved noc 6211 calgary ;D ;D
Congratulations! I see that inspite of the economic scenario, many of us will meet in Calgary! ;)

AlanKju

Star Member
Nov 5, 2015
Brazil (for now...)
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-Sep-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Oct-15
Interview........
27-Jan-2016
Joejo said:
My employer applied for LMIA for PR on 22nd December, last week he received an email from Service Canada.

Can anyone help me to write an explanation for this.

- Employers must demonstrate that they are reasonably able to fulfill the salary or wage offer on the current LMO application(s) as well as any other salary offered in relation to previous confirmations issued for foreign workers that have not yet commenced employment. When assessing the employer’s ability to fulfill the salary or wage offer, the net income and/or retained earnings (profits) declared on the income tax return Schedule 100/125 or signed financial statement, should be great enough to support foreign worker program-related financial obligations. When the profits declared on the income tax return or financial statements are not greater than the wage offer to the worker(s), other documents/explanations provided may be considered such as;

- Business contracts – business contracts could substantiate the capacity for future earnings, particularly for employers whose CRA documents do not support their ability to fulfil financial obligations. For example, an employer may have had financial difficulties in the previous taxation year, yet they can demonstrate the capacity for future earnings due to an increase in business. Program officers should ensure that the business contract indicates financial terms sufficient to pay the skilled worker (at least as much as the salary and benefits offered to the worker and that of any others who have been previously approved but have not commenced work).

- Non-recurrent expenses – One-time or miscellaneous expenses reported on the financial statement could be the cause for a reduced net income.

- Attrition – The departure/retirement/termination of a current/recent employee could result in additional funds being available to cover the salary of the worker.

- Moving a position from “outsourced” to “in-house” – Demonstration of cost-savings from changing a position from outsourced to in-house with copies of invoices/payments made.

- Service Canada requires that the funds to cover the salary of the worker come from regular operations, as opposed to shareholder injections or other loans. In addition, projections of future profit and growth cannot be considered for this assessment.
I don't have access to this information in my application, due to confidential information between them and the consultant, but I think they've required that in my case too. It seems to be an additional document (one of the listed above), showing that the company can afford your salary.

The good thing is that they have required that earlier. In my case it was 2 months after the application and then I have been waiting for other 3 months for the interview, which is a relevant step to the decision.

Hope to bring better news soon!

AlanKju

Star Member
Nov 5, 2015
Brazil (for now...)
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-Sep-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Oct-15
Interview........
27-Jan-2016
In meantime, I have opened a topic for those of you lucky fellows who have gone beyond LMIA approval, for the Work Permit and/or PR timelines.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/processing-times-twp-visa-pr-nomination-after-lmia-ita-t395067.0.html

If any of you could assist us with this, we can have a better understanding and planning if/when we acheive the LMIA too.

gimmys

Jan 27, 2016
hello all,
can anyone tell me how much time they take to issue a positive lmia..its been 7 months i am waiting to get my employer interviewed..loosing hope.. :'( :'(

sshh

Jan 27, 2016
Hai its been almost an 3 months that i had applied for LMIA and have no information about it ...

Kindly suggest me whats the genuine processing time for it. :( :(

katie26

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/05/2014
Doc's Request.
PFPR paid upfront
AOR Received.
27/06/2014
IELTS Request
submitted with the application
Med's Request
23/12/2014
Med's Done....
30/12/2014
Passport Req..
25/03/2015
LANDED..........
16/04/2015
Hi Guys,

Just a questions- which websites have your employer advertised on and do you have to have and add in newspaper as well?
I'm thinking Indeed, Workopolis, Monster and of course Job bank

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

AlanKju

Star Member
Nov 5, 2015
Brazil (for now...)
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-Sep-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Oct-15
Interview........
27-Jan-2016
sshh said:
Hai its been almost an 3 months that i had applied for LMIA and have no information about it ...

Kindly suggest me whats the genuine processing time for it. :( :(
gimmys and sshh. A true timeline jus doesn't exist. I'm on week 20 and still waiting for interview, which is expected to happen soon. Some friends from this forums spent like 15 weeks or so. So waiting 3 months is not too much (compared to our little sample of data from this forum).

But waiting 7 months may be too much. Perhaps you should check with your consultant for a status from SC. They don't have a timeline, but they can advise if there's something missing, like: is there a reference number for your file, which office is processing your case, is there a valid job offer, signed by you and the employer, etc. In this case if you're not using an ICCRC representative (an immigration lawyer with CIC credentials), I advise you to hire one to follow up your case and to intermediate any issues.

Funbox

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
Calgary, Canada
katie26 said:
Hi Guys,

Just a questions- which websites have your employer advertised on and do you have to have and add in newspaper as well?
I'm thinking Indeed, Workopolis, Monster and of course Job bank

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
It doesn't need to be advertised in newspaper. Only websites is enough.
I'm going to re-apply so I think we will advertised on Job Bank, Indeed, Monster and CanadaJobs.com or AllStarJobs.

Workopolis and Monster would be better, but each costs 600 bucks. So, it will be quite expensive. There is another one, called Neuvoo that charges $350 for unlimited time. In theory, they request two additional advertising. So, it has to be job Bank + two external websites.

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Indeed and Monster would certainly be enough in addition to Job Bank.

We used Monster and an industry specific site (hrjob.ca).

Trouble with Indeed is the ability for people to pre-load their resumes and just hit the 'apply now' button without any serious consideration of the role. Certainly the majority will be completely irrelevant but depending on your location the volume will likely be high. For example I'm recruiting for a role (not for LMIA, just a normal role) out of Calgary and received 336 resumes in three days. Out of those 336, only five have anything close to the experience and qualifications that I'm looking for.

gimmys

Jan 27, 2016
AlanKju said:
gimmys and sshh. A true timeline jus doesn't exist. I'm on week 20 and still waiting for interview, which is expected to happen soon. Some friends from this forums spent like 15 weeks or so. So waiting 3 months is not too much (compared to our little sample of data from this forum).

But waiting 7 months may be too much. Perhaps you should check with your consultant for a status from SC. They don't have a timeline, but they can advise if there's something missing, like: is there a reference number for your file, which office is processing your case, is there a valid job offer, signed by you and the employer, etc. In this case if you're not using an ICCRC representative (an immigration lawyer with CIC credentials), I advise you to hire one to follow up your case and to intermediate any issues.
Thanks Alankju for the info. i have hired a lawyer..and have already signed the job offer..is there any ref. number the authority provide when the lmia application is submitted..??..and can you please tell me what is SC..

AlanKju

Star Member
Nov 5, 2015
Brazil (for now...)
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-Sep-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Oct-15
Interview........
27-Jan-2016
gimmys said:
Thanks Alankju for the info. i have hired a lawyer..and have already signed the job offer..is there any ref. number the authority provide when the lmia application is submitted..??..and can you please tell me what is SC..
Sorry, SC stands for Service Canada, which is the department that handles the application. CIC (Immigration department) only comes after the LMIA.
The reference number is given when they acknowledge the receipt of your application. Mine came in a few days, some guys here had it in a few weeks, so it's good to be assured that you have the reference number to know that they have received your application and that it is being assessed or at least waiting to be assessed.

AlanKju

Star Member
Nov 5, 2015
Brazil (for now...)
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-Sep-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Oct-15
Interview........
27-Jan-2016
NEWS!
My employer called today. They've had the interview yesterday. SC gave him a hard to time to explain why hiring a foreign for the position, etc, but I think they were satisfied with the explanation. BUT... there are minor adjustments on the legal terms of the job offer, like adding words to make them comfortable that this is a full-time position and other small wording things. I'm hoping it will be sorted out soon.

so, not an approval YET, but it's coming!

Reactions: Bunny Thapar
Jan 5, 2016
Hi again all,

been off the forum for a couple weeks but i have good news !!

here's my timeline for those still going through the process:

NOC 2282 (IT Technical Support Analyst)
Province: Northwest territories
wage: $47 p/h (not in top 10% so using slower processing times)
LMIA submitted on September 21st 2015 to Atlantic province processing centre - quickest processing at the time
LMIA approved on January 18th 2016 (17 weeks exactly)

Things to note:
  • If LMIA is in support of a PR application they cannot fax the letter, it must be by Snail mail (5-10 business days)
  • you can cross the border as soon as it's issued without the letter in hand - i'm waiting for the letter just to be safe
  • if you're in the top 10% of earners for your province it will be quicker
  • if you have an un-co-operative or slow HR department/legal team you CAN call Service Canada using their name and access your file. They will ask for the name, company address and phone/fax details that are on the file. Easy enough to find.

Good luck to all still going through this, it is a stressful time but if it's meant to be it will work out ! PM me and i will be happy to give any advice i can !

Reactions: Bunny Thapar