+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Let's share timeline, PGWP March applicant

Nik_McGill

Jun 13, 2015
Nik_McGill

Applied: May 28th (Full amount paid)
Blank Update: N/A
Current Status: Waiting as of August 1st (day 66)

Student Status expires 31st August. Flying back to Canada on 28th August. Starting work on Sep 8th. Though Employer seems reluctant with this "implied status thing"

Also Question,

is it just me or did the processing times for study permits drop by 20+ day in 1 week?

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pama said:
Hai friends
I got my PGWP through mail. Thanks JUBEAR for updating the timelines and your support.Good luck to everyone. :D :D ;) 8)
Congrats Pama!

Cheers!

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nik_McGill said:
Nik_McGill
Applied: May 28th (Full amount paid)
Blank Update: N/A
Current Status: Waiting as of August 1st (day 66)

Student Status expires 31st August. Flying back to Canada on 28th August. Starting work on Sep 8th. Though Employer seems reluctant with this "implied status thing"
Also Question,

is it just me or did the processing times for study permits drop by 20+ day in 1 week?
Nik_McGill,

Welcome to the forum. Quick questions. Have you graduated? Is your timeline for postgraduate work permit (PGWP) or extension of study permit (SP)?

Cheers!

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jlsm said:
Hi Jubear,
Awesome post! Thanks so much, very helpful to keep me on track of my application
Jlsm,

No worries. All the best.

Nik_McGill

Jun 13, 2015
jubear said:
Nik_McGill,

Welcome to the forum. Quick questions. Have you graduated? Is your timeline for postgraduate work permit (PGWP) or extension of study permit (SP)?

Cheers!
Re: PGWP

Hi! I graduated on may 27th (convocation) but the University generated letter just says Degree Awarded: May2015. Do you think if my graduation letter just says May2015 but the date as of when i request the letter (ex. if i request letter today, it'll have today's date).

In this case, could I flagpole on August 29th given that I convocated on May 27th?

Thanks, hope the question makes sense! :S

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nik_McGill said:
Re: PGWP

Hi! I graduated on may 27th (convocation) but the University generated letter just says Degree Awarded: May2015. Do you think if my graduation letter just says May2015 but the date as of when i request the letter (ex. if i request letter today, it'll have today's date).

In this case, could I flagpole on August 29th given that I convocated on May 27th?
Thanks, hope the question makes sense! :S
Nik_McGill,

1. The date the letter was written (under the letter head) is what matters.
2. You should be within 90 days since you received the letter.
3. Your SP should be valid.
4. For further info and more about other people's experiences read page 15 and onwards of this forum. Everything you need to know and prepare is there.
Good luck.

Cheers!

jayrod

Jul 24, 2015
Hey guys,

As some of you might have noticed PGWP processing time has increased to 106 days. In fact, the processing time of all types of applications has increased, EXCEPT for the Study Permit Extensions, which have in fact dropped from 95 days (from last update) to 57 days. Quite the reduction, especially since in their last update they were processing applications from April 12 and they are currently processing applications from May 27 --- all this in just one week! It seems that CIC literally stopped working on all the other applications and just focused on the Study Permit Extensions.

Does anybody know if this is normal for CIC to do? It kind of gives me hope that they might do the same thing for Work Permit Applications next week and process a whole bunch of them at once. On the other hand, they might just focus on the Study Permits and delay our PGWP even more.

Let me know what you think. Good luck to everybody!

Jay

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
jayrod said:
Hey guys,

As some of you might have noticed PGWP processing time has increased to 106 days. In fact, the processing time of all types of applications has increased, EXCEPT for the Study Permit Extensions, which have in fact dropped from 95 days (from last update) to 57 days. Quite the reduction, especially since in their last update they were processing applications from April 12 and they are currently processing applications from May 27 --- all this in just one week! It seems that CIC literally stopped working on all the other applications and just focused on the Study Permit Extensions.

Does anybody know if this is normal for CIC to do? It kind of gives me hope that they might do the same thing for Work Permit Applications next week and process a whole bunch of them at once. On the other hand, they might just focus on the Study Permits and delay our PGWP even more.

Jay
What a bunch of rats. Wow.

beogradjanin1

Apr 6, 2013
jayrod said:
Hey guys,

Jay

Processing time is getting longer just because people do not read conditions from the CIC. Most of you guys have paid only $155 and the real price is $255. So, what I have read here is that most of you get information that you owe extra $100 after 2 months. Instead that all of us get PGWP after 2 months we have to wait for all of you who did not pay the right price to process your application. That's why we have to wait more than 100 days. I am not trying to be rude or to give anyone lesson, but I just cannot believe that so many people have paid the wrong amount. If you carefully read conditions you will find out that if you do not submit all documents or if you do not pay the right amount that processing time will be longer. That's exactly happened to all of us now. So guys do not be cheap pay the right price and let immigration do their job, if you do not do your part how it spouse to be, then you cannot blame somebody else for not doing their job.

manaspaliwal

Jul 27, 2015
beogradjanin1 said:
Processing time is getting longer just because people do not read conditions from the CIC. Most of you guys have paid only $155 and the real price is $255. So, what I have read here is that most of you get information that you owe extra $100 after 2 months. Instead that all of us get PGWP after 2 months we have to wait for all of you who did not pay the right price to process your application. That's why we have to wait more than 100 days. I am not trying to be rude or to give anyone lesson, but I just cannot believe that so many people have paid the wrong amount. If you carefully read conditions you will find out that if you do not submit all documents or if you do not pay the right amount that processing time will be longer. That's exactly happened to all of us now. So guys do not be cheap pay the right price and let immigration do their job, if you do not do your part how it spouse to be, then you cannot blame somebody else for not doing their job.
Hello Beogradjanin

I guess you read couple of posts in this forum and decided to vouch your opinion on why so many people are experiencing delays in PGWP. I urge you to please look more in to the issue. As you stated that most of us are "cheap" because we have not paid the right amount. I fail to understand your here. Why do you think we are holding up 100 dollars. Why are we pocketing 100 dollars and waiting for 2 months for CIC to request it when we know that is for such an important permit. Our lives are stalled because of this. Many people have lost their jobs including me. Now, let me tell you the facts. There was no way to pay 100 dollars new fee between the period of 21st Feb to May 24th ( I might be wrong in the May date). The best bet was to upload it in additional document or use a CSE. Still, if you want to renew your PGWP ( after passport renewal ) you have to wait for CIC to ask the payment.

I know everyone is frustrated with long waiting periods including you ( I am assuming you applied ) but please dont try to belittle others. We are as thoughtful as everyone else in putting up a complete application.

PS: I am not being rude
-Manas

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
beogradjanin1 said:
Beogradjanin1,

Welcome to the PGWP forum. Great to have you. As much as our forum consists of open discussions and ideas of how to apply for a PGWP, we do not condone taking personal attacks on any member whatsoever. This is a good forum that most people have benefitted from including those who have never contributed to it but enjoy reading it. Contrary to what you wrote in your reply, Jayrod seemed more optimistic of the future. I think you completely misunderstood him and his perspective on the current processing trend. Having said that, we all make mistakes because we are human.

No body or anyone on this website, including myself has a clue on why PGWP are taking longer to process. Why? Because we don't work for CIC. What we can do is to perhaps be more analytical of the processing trend and speculate on the events. Our individual speculation may end up being right or wrong. And that's fine. Even Meteorologists make wrong weather forecasts. Sometimes Economists wrongly speculate on future inflation, dollar appreciation/depreciation, and prices. Health scientists wrongly or rightly speculate on the spread of a disease; to mention but a few examples.

What we all need to understand is that sometimes we speculate out of either excitement (with a positive expectation about a future outcome) or with frustration (with a negative expectation about a future outcome). Specifically, when Members on this forum express themselves I would argue that they have both feelings of excitement to get their well earned PGWP and feelings of frustration that its taking too long to get it.

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT
Lets analyze the issuance of a PGWP and its processing time, in addition to other external factors that one can't rule out. On February 21, 2015, CIC announced the extra fee of $100 for all open work permit (OWP) holders. This included PGWP, SOWP, BOWP, etc. When this announcement was made, very few people knew about it including those who applied in late February until almost the end of May. But why is this? It took almost 3 months for CIC to update their payment system in order to show the grand total of $255. In other words, applicants at the time had to pay separate fees for one service. Mind you, the literature on the extra $100 wasn't part of the overall info an applicant needed to know within their application profile. The literature was somewhere else on the website and you had to search for it. So, that alone made the process more confusing for some Members. However, once an applicant figured it out later after they submitted their application, they would then use the Case Specific Enquiry (CSE) to upload their receipt before CIC asked for it. When CIC sees that, an agent puts a note on your file and then the application is processed. If CIC requested for one's extra fees, but they didn't pay for it within 10 days of asking for it, then their application would be denied. One thing we should know for sure is that CIC doesn't sit around waiting for someone to pay. They continue processing other applications. Therefore, I don't believe in the idea of one PGWP applicant delaying another PGWP applicant's application.

External Factors. a) I can speculate that part of the problem that has been and still stalling the processing of PGWP is tourists coming to Canada for the Women's Soccer World Cup, Pan Am Games, and Par Am Games still to come (see at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/panam.asp and: http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1414514004147). Tourists, travellers, and sports enthusiasts have been a priority to CIC since the start of 2015. Hence, providing them with visitor visas (TRV). In economic/business terms, this is revenue from the tourism industry.
b) The year 2015 begun with a bang, which included the introduction of the Express Entry (EE). There were backlogs already for PR applicants and they've been a priority.
c) Study permits (SP) for new students and extension of study permits (SP) for continuing students have also been a priority. Some members have asked a fair question: Why have SP processing times gone down? My answer to this question is simple; SPs are as of now a priority to CIC. September is knocking on the door and a month away and they need to process the SP backlog as quickly as possible. Universities and Colleges have complained for a long time about their international student intake quota. They've done their job to provide acceptance letters to incoming students and progress letters to those continuing. That is why the previous and current processing times data has been moving in the opposite direction for PGWP and SP in the last couple of months. PGWP processing times are increasing at an increasing rate, whereas SP times have been decreasing at a decreasing rate. I still have a feeling that at some point SP processing times will decrease at an increasing rate.
d) I may add that some members applied according to when they graduated and received written notification from their respective institutions. In some institutions it takes 5 working days to get the Confirmation Letter or Official Transcript after all grades are in, whereas in other institutions it may take 1-3 weeks. Other members applied after they returned from their travels after graduation.
e) Every year the CIC website has a habit of breaking down for several consecutive days (sometimes almost a week) at different times of the year. Specifically, the individual application profiles get stuck/frozen. Sometimes one can't get past the login and security questions. Other times when one gets past that, then they are stonewalled by the inability to upload or submit an application. Imagine what several days or a week of inaccessibility to the site does to applications internally (CIC's side) and externally (applicants' side). All these issues contributed to delays in processing PGWP applications.

In future we will see a change in the processing times for New TRV within Canada. As of July 31, 2015, CIC updated the processing times and they indicated that both paper and online applications for New TRV within Canada are taking 16 days to process for applications submitted on July 9, 2015. Strange! The processing time for PGWP will decrease, however, that of New TRV might increase. Why? Just like now, everyone will be wanting to have their hands on a new TRV and people will be applying like crazy. Best time to watch out for that is during the Fall semester.

Beogradjanin1, I can understand your frustration too as a PGWP applicant. But we cannot blame Members on this wonderful forum for the delay in the processing of our individual PGWP applications and nor can we blame CIC agents. It is not an ascertained fair assertion. Sometimes things just don't always work out according to plan. It is the world we live in and that's life.

Like I've said numerous times; this is simply a waiting game. That time is coming when we will all be smiling with a PGWP in hand and we will look back and say, ‘wow, that was quite a wait, but it was worth it!' As a reminder, we can look back in time before we came to Canada. We stressed out on getting a SP, but we finally made it here, and withered through the storm of sleepless nights of studying until we graduated. PGWP? That is nothing compared to before we came to Canada and we all have a 99% chance of getting a PGWP no matter how long it takes.

My suggestion is to stay positive and enjoy the summer as you wait. I wish members and other silent followers of this forum good luck.

Cheers!

beogradjanin1

Apr 6, 2013
jubear said:
Beogradjanin1,

Welcome to the PGWP forum. Great to have you. As much as our forum consists of open discussions and ideas of how to apply for a PGWP, we do not condone taking personal attacks on any member whatsoever. This is a good forum that most people have benefitted from including those who have never contributed to it but enjoy reading it. Contrary to what you wrote in your reply, Jayrod seemed more optimistic of the future. I think you completely misunderstood him and his perspective on the current processing trend. Having said that, we all make mistakes because we are human.

No body or anyone on this website, including myself has a clue on why PGWP are taking longer to process. Why? Because we don't work for CIC. What we can do is to perhaps be more analytical of the processing trend and speculate on the events. Our individual speculation may end up being right or wrong. And that's fine. Even Meteorologists make wrong weather forecasts. Sometimes Economists wrongly speculate on future inflation, dollar appreciation/depreciation, and prices. Health scientists wrongly or rightly speculate on the spread of a disease; to mention but a few examples.

What we all need to understand is that sometimes we speculate out of either excitement (with a positive expectation about a future outcome) or with frustration (with a negative expectation about a future outcome). Specifically, when Members on this forum express themselves I would argue that they have both feelings of excitement to get their well earned PGWP and feelings of frustration that its taking too long to get it.

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT
Lets analyze the issuance of a PGWP and its processing time, in addition to other external factors that one can't rule out. On February 21, 2015, CIC announced the extra fee of $100 for all open work permit (OWP) holders. This included PGWP, SOWP, BOWP, etc. When this announcement was made, very few people knew about it including those who applied in late February until almost the end of May. But why is this? It took almost 3 months for CIC to update their payment system in order to show the grand total of $255. In other words, applicants at the time had to pay separate fees for one service. Mind you, the literature on the extra $100 wasn't part of the overall info an applicant needed to know within their application profile. The literature was somewhere else on the website and you had to search for it. So, that alone made the process more confusing for some Members. However, once an applicant figured it out later after they submitted their application, they would then use the Case Specific Enquiry (CSE) to upload their receipt before CIC asked for it. When CIC sees that, an agent puts a note on your file and then the application is processed. If CIC requested for one's extra fees, but they didn't pay for it within 10 days of asking for it, then their application would be denied. One thing we should know for sure is that CIC doesn't sit around waiting for someone to pay. They continue processing other applications. Therefore, I don't believe in the idea of one PGWP applicant delaying another PGWP applicant's application.

External Factors. a) I can speculate that part of the problem that has been and still stalling the processing of PGWP is tourists coming to Canada for the Women's Soccer World Cup, Pan Am Games, and Par Am Games still to come (see at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/panam.asp and: http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1414514004147). Tourists, travellers, and sports enthusiasts have been a priority to CIC since the start of 2015. Hence, providing them with visitor visas (TRV). In economic/business terms, this is revenue from the tourism industry.
b) The year 2015 begun with a bang, which included the introduction of the Express Entry (EE). There were backlogs already for PR applicants and they've been a priority.
c) Study permits (SP) for new students and extension of study permits (SP) for continuing students have also been a priority. Some members have asked a fair question: Why have SP processing times gone down? My answer to this question is simple; SPs are as of now a priority to CIC. September is knocking on the door and a month away and they need to process the SP backlog as quickly as possible. Universities and Colleges have complained for a long time about their international student intake quota. They've done their job to provide acceptance letters to incoming students and progress letters to those continuing. That is why the previous and current processing times data has been moving in the opposite direction for PGWP and SP in the last couple of months. PGWP processing times are increasing at an increasing rate, whereas SP times have been decreasing at a decreasing rate. I still have a feeling that at some point SP processing times will decrease at an increasing rate.
d) I may add that some members applied according to when they graduated and received written notification from their respective institutions. In some institutions it takes 5 working days to get the Confirmation Letter or Official Transcript after all grades are in, whereas in other institutions it may take 1-3 weeks. Other members applied after they returned from their travels after graduation.
e) Every year the CIC website has a habit of breaking down for several consecutive days (sometimes almost a week) at different times of the year. Specifically, the individual application profiles get stuck/frozen. Sometimes one can't get past the login and security questions. Other times when one gets past that, then they are stonewalled by the inability to upload or submit an application. Imagine what several days or a week of inaccessibility to the site does to applications internally (CIC's side) and externally (applicants' side). All these issues contributed to delays in processing PGWP applications.

In future we will see a change in the processing times for New TRV within Canada. As of July 31, 2015, CIC updated the processing times and they indicated that both paper and online applications for New TRV within Canada are taking 16 days to process for applications submitted on July 9, 2015. Strange! The processing time for PGWP will decrease, however, that of New TRV might increase. Why? Just like now, everyone will be wanting to have their hands on a new TRV and people will be applying like crazy. Best time to watch out for that is during the Fall semester.

Beogradjanin1, I can understand your frustration too as a PGWP applicant. But we cannot blame Members on this wonderful forum for the delay in the processing of our individual PGWP applications and nor can we blame CIC agents. It is not an ascertained fair assertion. Sometimes things just don't always work out according to plan. It is the world we live in and that's life.

Like I've said numerous times; this is simply a waiting game. That time is coming when we will all be smiling with a PGWP in hand and we will look back and say, ‘wow, that was quite a wait, but it was worth it!' As a reminder, we can look back in time before we came to Canada. We stressed out on getting a SP, but we finally made it here, and withered through the storm of sleepless nights of studying until we graduated. PGWP? That is nothing compared to before we came to Canada and we all have a 99% chance of getting a PGWP no matter how long it takes.

My suggestion is to stay positive and enjoy the summer as you wait. I wish members and other silent followers of this forum good luck.

Cheers!
Thanks for your response. However, I believe that I was miss understood also. I reply on the members post just with the reason that he mentioned that he hopes that processing time will decrease for PGWP. I did not, or maybe better to say I did not have any intention to say directly to him that he made any mistake because I am not familiar with his situation. Only what I wanted is to say to all members especially new applicants to be careful and to pay attention of everything. So let's say this, application for PGWP is $255. There are two payments, one is for the "Work Permit" which is $155 and the other one is for the "Open Work Permit Holder Fee" which is $100. I apologize if I offended the member or anyone else, but only thing I wanted is to continue on his post and to say my opinion that there is no way that processing time will decrease since that around 80% of applicants did not pay correct amount. Maybe I am wrong but I believe that one of the reasons could be that. You have done great thing posting processing time for some of the members and thanks for that. But if we just check your post we can see that majority of applicants did not pay correct amount, what is a reason for that I have no idea but that is the fact. I would like to participate with all of you and I will hope that processing time will decrease also and that all of us will get permit very soon. I applied for PGWP on June 25 and I got two e-mails, one was just confirmation that I have successfully applied and after that I got first update. All the best and I am sorry if I offended anyone, that was not my intention.

navitrn

Jul 17, 2015
:D
I finally got approved after 4 and a half months. my application was submitted on 12th of march and now i am relieved that it happened finally. Thank you guys and Jubear for your suggestions and support.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
navitrn said:
:D
I finally got approved after 4 and a half months. my application was submitted on 12th of march and now i am relieved that it happened finally. Thank you guys and Jubear for your suggestions and support.
Congratulations Navitrn! Good luck on your job search.

Cheers!