+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Let's share timeline, PGWP March applicant

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mohsin9055 said:
Hi Guys, I am new to this forum

I have applied for PGWP on May 15th 2015. Still there is no update in my application.
155$ dollars paid
Study permit expires on 31 st July 2015.
NO request for $100 dollars new fee

As there is no work done on my application till now.
Is there any way to withdraw from the PGWP application and apply for new study permit?
Now my plans have changed to go back to School and Do a Bachelors Degree?
Help needed?
Mohsin9055,

Use the Case Specific Enquiry online form to withdraw your application here: https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx?_ga=1.63908399.108801500.1431902909

Under Enquiry: type of application, select "withdraw of online application."

Apply to extend your SP as quickly as possible before July 31, 2015. In this extension of SP application, make sure you include a written letter/document from your university that shows you are still a student or that you are going to start school in September. In other words an acceptance letter into a Bachelors degree program from the Registrar's office. You cannot hold both a PGWP and SP at the same time.

Good luck.

Cheers!

FBR

Jul 27, 2015
Hey guys, this is great forum, thank you!
Here is my timeline:
Applied: May 6
Paid extra $100: July 25 (by own initiative via CSE, without cic request)
Current status: still waiting as of July 27 (day 82)

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
jubear said:
Nevillek,

According to the info you gave on your timeline, it says you applied on May 2, 2015. Did you get a PGWP after a FP or through online application?

See the updated info under member timelines on page 32 about new TRV applications within Canada.
You will need your PGWP copy. You either make the trip or apply for a new TRV when you return to Canada. The other small detail you are forgetting is that you have to provide a Canadian mailing address. This will ensure that your passport is returned to you once the new TRV counterfoil is laminated into your passport. Remember that this is for inland applicants and just like outland applicants, CIC will ask you to provide your physical passport at some point. For now you need your passport while in the US and you will need it and the PGWP while in Canada.

All I can say is that you concentrate on enjoying your holiday in the US and return when you are ready. Once you return, then you can apply for a new TRV.

Cheers!
Hi jubear,

I haven't got my PGWP yet. Still waiting.

I think there is a slight confusion. I do have an apartment in Canada and am only holidaying in the U.S. because I have nothing to do in Canada. I am planning to stay longer in the U.S. and wait to get the PGWP approval email, then apply for TRV also from U.S. only and once I got the TRV approval email, I could fly back to Canada so I can mail them my passport for the TRV stamping. Also, I would open my mailbox that time to get the PGWP physical copy.

However, I'm confused now. Above you said "You will need your PGWP copy" to apply for TRV. But earlier you had said that the PDF in the PGWP approval email with the document number would be enough to file my TRV application online from U.S. itself?

So do I need to go back to Canada to receive and scan my PGWP physical copy and only then be able apply for the TRV online? Or can I wait in U.S. till my passport request for TRV stamping?

Thanks a lot.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nevillek said:
Hi jubear,

So do I need to go back to Canada to receive and scan my PGWP physical copy and only then be able apply for the TRV online? Or can I wait in U.S. till my passport request for TRV stamping?
Thanks a lot.
Nevillek,

You will need a scan of your PGWP as part of the documents required to apply for a new TRV as a worker from within Canada.
Cheers!

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
jubear said:
Nevillek,

You will need a scan of your physical copy.
Cheers!
Yikes, so I cannot apply for TRV until I receive the document! Which means another 1 week of waiting :(

Also, this is a bit out of context, but since my apt lease is ending Aug 31 and I doubt I would get both PGWP and TRV by that time, let's say I go for flagpoling and get only a 16-20 month PGWP (as my course was only 16 months), is there a downside to it vs getting a 3 year PGWP if I'm already eligible to apply for PR through Ontario Masters Graduate PNP stream without a job offer? I assume, once your PR application is in process, you can still stay in Canada under "implied" status or something called bridge work permit?

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nevillek said:
Yikes, so I cannot apply for TRV until I receive the document! Which means another 1 week of waiting :(

Also, this is a bit out of context, but since my apt lease is ending Aug 31 and I doubt I would get both PGWP and TRV by that time, let's say I go for flagpoling and get only a 16-20 month PGWP (as my course was only 16 months), is there a downside to it vs getting a 3 year PGWP if I'm already eligible to apply for PR through Ontario Masters Graduate PNP stream without a job offer? I assume, once your PR application is in process, you can still stay in Canada under "implied" status or something called bridge work permit?
Nevillek,

Plan A
I suggest you wait for your PGWP to be processed. Having applied on May 2, I have a feeling you will get your PGWP before the end of August. In fact, according to your timeline, August 31, 2015 will have amounted to 122 days of processing for you. But I doubt if that is going to happen. So hang in there for now and don't flagpole.

Plan B
Once you get your open PGWP and new TRV, then you can apply for OINP for masters graduate stream. In fact, you need either a SP or WP or TRV as legal status. See below:

To be eligible to apply as a Masters Graduate in Ontario, you must meet the following criteria:

1. Have graduated or have met degree requirements from a Masters Degree program that is at least one academic year, completed full time at an eligible publicly funded university in Ontario.
2. Applying within two years of the date on which their Masters Degree was granted.
3. Have legal status in Canada (i.e. study permit, work permit, visitor record).
4. Currently reside in Ontario.
5. Intends to live and work in Ontario.
6. Demonstrate high official language proficiency equivalent to Canadian Language Benchmark 7
7. Demonstrate a minimum level of savings/income to support themselves and their dependents.
8. Demonstrate at least 12 cumulative months of residence in Ontario in the 24 months prior to the submission of the application.
9. You must not be intending to pursue further academic studies in Ontario.

Depending on how many years you are given on the open PGWP and before it expires, you can later apply for a BOWP while your PR application is submitted.

Just an idea. I hope that helps.

Cheers!

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
jubear said:
Having applied on May 2, I have a feeling you will get your PGWP before the end of August. In fact, according to your timeline, August 31, 2015 will have amounted to 122 days of processing for you. But I doubt if that is going to happen. So hang in there for now and don't flagpole.
jubear, you didn't count the number of days it would take for the TRV (12 + 5 to 7 days to mail and receive back the passport? << please correct me on estimated mailing time). So even if I get my PGWP in 100 days (i.e. Aug 9), I will receive the PGWP in mail around mid-August and then apply for TRV, so it's going to be very tight if I want to leave Canada by Aug 31. Correct?

Anyway, I'm not going to flagpole because I want a 3 yr PGWP. I will extend my stay in Canada for another month instead. That way, I'll get a 3 yr PGWP atleast and avoid future problems.

I am not applying for PR right now because I'm going on vacation for 4 months after getting PGWP/TRV and I think you have to be present in Canada when your application is in process right? I will be applying for OPNP Masters Graduate Stream after returning to Canada in January. Actually, I won't be able to apply for that until April, because you need 12 months cumulative stay in past 24 months, which I won't have until April.

Or do you think I can apply for OPNP PR nomination and go on vacation for 4 months? I am eligible to apply immediately after receiving PGWP too (i.e. in Sep 2015) but I thought it might be a problem if they try to contact me while I'm not in Canada? As one of my friends received a phone call from OPNP while his nomination was in process to confirm his status in Canada.

oasis.gc1

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
Hey guys,

Request your help.

I have yet NOT submitted my application for PGWP but want to flagpole. My situation is a bit different.

- I have an offer letter of NOC A category job, but I do not have the salary stub. I do not think I will get my salary stub before July 31.
- My study permit and my wife's OWP are expiring on July 31st

Can I flagpole for BOTH? Any special things I should keep in mind??

Thanks in advance

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nevillek,

Like I said before, its up to you to be in Canada and apply for a TRV.

Your friend is a perfect example. Again, apply for OPNP only when you are ready to live in Canada not when you are in and out. Therefore, plan very carefully and abide by those 9 simple requirements.

Good luck.

Cheers!

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
oasis.gc1 said:
Hey guys,

Request your help.

I have yet NOT submitted my application for PGWP but want to flagpole. My situation is a bit different.

- I have an offer letter of NOC A category job, but I do not have the salary stub. I do not think I will get my salary stub before July 31.
- My study permit and my wife's OWP are expiring on July 31st

Can I flagpole for BOTH? Any special things I should keep in mind??
Thanks in advance.
Oasis.gc1,

See Ssas' input on page 32 of this forum. For further info see pages 15 and onwards. Use tonight to gather all info that has already been posted on the forum. Then perhaps plan to head out on Wednesday by 6:00am.

Good luck.

Cheers!

yukiyuki111

Star Member
May 11, 2015
Hello guys, my work permit applications was approved finally. I got $100 request on wendsday last week. And then followed by a blank update on Thursday. Today I got the email indicate my 3yrs work permit was approved till July 26 2018. I waited more than 4 months, and my case was overdue for 1.5 months. finally I contacted my MP, she helped me get through with cic office.

manaspaliwal

Jul 27, 2015
Hello everyone

I would like to share my timeline/experiences in regards to PGWP. I applied for PGWP in January 2014 after completing PhD from McGill university. I was issued the permit till 26 May 2015 (my passport expiry data). After renewing my passport I applied for the extension on 2 March 2015 and got the 100 dollar request on 2nd May 2015. I paid the money right away and attached the receipt on 15th May 2015 ( I was late as I had no idea of what to do with it). Anyways, I got the refusal on 27th May 2015 (one day after my PGWP expiry). I applied for restoration on the same day and paid the 100 dollars fee through CSE. Since then, I have not received any updates from CIC. My wife's open work permit was refused as well. She lost her job and I had to stop teaching a course at McGill. I cannot resume my post doctoral research activities at McGill until I get my restoration as worker.

I was wondering if seniors in the forum can advice me. I am not sure how much chance do I have for successful restoration. I understand that restoring status is now a matter of privilege and really depends on the case officer. Do you think If I wait for couple of months will I get my restoration or am I going to be refused again. The reason I am asking is that I have couple of faculty interviews lined up at home and I have to reply to the selection committee and tell them when I can come to visit them.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yukiyuki111 said:
Hello guys, my work permit applications was approved finally. I got $100 request on Wednesday last week. And then followed by a blank update on Thursday. Today I got the email indicate my 3yrs work permit was approved till July 26 2018. I waited more than 4 months, and my case was overdue for 1.5 months. finally I contacted my MP, she helped me get through with cic office.
Hoooooooooooraaaay :) :) :) ;D. Finally. Congratulations Yukiyuki111!

Wow, that was quite a wait. But you made it. I hope your spouse got their SOWP to.

That is good news indeed.

Cheers!

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manaspaliwal said:
Hello everyone

I would like to share my timeline/experiences in regards to PGWP. I applied for PGWP in January 2014 after completing PhD from McGill university. I was issued the permit till 26 May 2015 (my passport expiry data). After renewing my passport I applied for the extension on 2 March 2015 and got the 100 dollar request on 2nd May 2015. I paid the money right away and attached the receipt on 15th May 2015 ( I was late as I had no idea of what to do with it). Anyways, I got the refusal on 27th May 2015 (one day after my PGWP expiry). I applied for restoration on the same day and paid the 100 dollars fee through CSE. Since then, I have not received any updates from CIC. My wife's open work permit was refused as well. She lost her job and I had to stop teaching a course at McGill. I cannot resume my post doctoral research activities at McGill until I get my restoration as worker.

I was wondering if seniors in the forum can advice me. I am not sure how much chance do I have for successful restoration. I understand that restoring status is now a matter of privilege and really depends on the case officer. Do you think If I wait for couple of months will I get my restoration or am I going to be refused again. The reason I am asking is that I have couple of faculty interviews lined up at home and I have to reply to the selection committee and tell them when I can come to visit them.
Manaspaliwal,

I'm positive that you will get your restoration accepted and PGWP approved at the same time. So wait for at least until mid to end of September.

See this link: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/post-graduation-work-permit-refusal-t285707.0.html;msg4502846#msg4502846. A friend of mine Avrilporter experienced something similar.

Cheers!

manaspaliwal

Jul 27, 2015
jubear said:
Manaspaliwal,

I'm positive that you will get your restoration accepted and PGWP approved at the same time. So wait for at least until mid to end of September.

Cheers!
Thank you Jubear. I will keep you posted about my case.