+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Let's share timeline, PGWP March applicant

mets15

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Stefanovic said:
Guys,

Sorry for being a little off topic but I just need to know if it is ok to travel to the US and enter canada with an expired visa but a valid work permit. I will be travelling by air.
Please let me know.

Thanks.
Totally! As long as you don't go anywhere EXCEPT the US, you will be fine. I did it last year on a student permit. I carried all my proof that I am studying and living here, etc, but they didn't ask anything really. My friend went to LA and back last month the same way, and he had no issues either.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mets15 said:
That's good to know, thanks Jubear. I am still waiting for my PGWP and I refuse to go through this again for the renewal. Only thing I am not sure about is the TRV. Is a valid TRV necessary for renewing at the border? I have a US visa and I've already been to the US and back on an expired TRV since I know it is allowed. Wondering if I need to spend money on a TRV before passport and PGWP renewals or if I can avoid it. I couldn't find anything certain about it.
Mets15,

In your case, your valid status would be a valid PGWP. If you were a student, valid status would be a valid SP. Visitor extension would require a valid TRV. First get a PGWP with a comment that says 'you can renew'. Then renew your passport/or renew passport as you wait. Reapply before current PGWP expires either online, by paper or at POE/FP (not any different from travelling to the US and returning). Lastly, apply for a TRV.

Cheers!

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Stefanovic said:
Guys,

Sorry for being a little off topic but I just need to know if it is ok to travel to the US and enter canada with an expired visa but a valid work permit. I will be travelling by air.
Please let me know.

Thanks.
Stefanovic,

To confirm what Mets15 said, further info can be found at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=527&t=16.
Scroll down to expired TRV

Cheers!

mumbaikar

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Hi Jo_Zhao,

Can you please post the format of your email to your MP and what documents did you attache with the mail? Do you also need to write a declaration authorizing them to check your case?

I applied on 26th June and still waiting.

Thanks
Jo_Zhao said:
I finally got approved now! No more waiting time!!!

This is my timeline:
Applied: June 12th
Blank Update: Every Month
Case Review Sent: Nov 8th
PGWP Approval: Dec 2nd (173 days)
Mail Delivery: Waiting

MP is really helpful in my case. I emailed my local MP, and they told me they were setting up office but would love to set up meeting with me in next January. I replied and said it would be too late since I have been waiting for so long. In a few days, which is Nov 28th, my MP emailed me and told me they already called CIC and asked them the status of my application. CIC said that they would give us the answer within 10 days (by December 10th). Today I checked my CIC and it said I was approved!!!

But not all the MP are helpful. I did contact another MP when my local MP told me they were setting up their office. That MP didn't reply at all so I went back to find my local MP.

I was quite worried about my study permit, since my last two semesters were part-time study. I sent an email to case-review-im-enquiry and explained why I was doing part time. I was able to explain why I had to take part-time studies with my prove. They replied the next day and said the decision would be made by CIC officer (that's it!!!). But luckily, now it seems they did go through my explanation and approved my application.

Thank you all. I have followed this forum for a long time, and I did get helps from here. Thank you Stefanovic for answering my post about case review. Thank you Jubear for helping everyone here.

mets15

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Well guys, my MP's office just called and said that the immigration minister's office is now sending a message to the processing center to give me a reply. There's no timeline for how long this takes. Feel like I'm just back to/stuck at square 1 :'(

mets15

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
jubear said:
Mets15,

In your case, your valid status would be a valid PGWP. If you were a student, valid status would be a valid SP. Visitor extension would require a valid TRV. First get a PGWP with a comment that says 'you can renew'. Then renew your passport/or renew passport as you wait. Reapply before current PGWP expires either online, by paper or at POE/FP (not any different from travelling to the US and returning). Lastly, apply for a TRV.

Cheers!
Thanks Jubear. Don't I need to first renew my passport? It expires in 2016, and then once I renew, only then can I extend the PGWP at the border (hopefully without a valid TRV so that I don't have to pay twice for it).. That's what I was wondering if it is possible. :/

Stefanovic

Oct 6, 2015
jubear said:
Stefanovic,

To confirm what Mets15 said, further info can be found at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=527&t=16.
Scroll down to expired TRV

Cheers!
Thanks Jubear and Mets15
I have also travelled to the US without a valid visa but with a study permit, everything went well. But now since Im not a student anymore and have a work permit, I just wanted to make sure, since I spoke to an agent today and he was like NO you cannot travel to the US because you do not have a valid visa and by air is a no-no.

Hence, just wanted to make sure.

Also I found this on the website - would it be applicable to me.

I already have a study or work permit, do I need to apply for an eTA?

Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. Read about the changes and how they may affect you.
If you are a student or foreign worker already in Canada on a valid study and work permit, you will not need an eTA as long as you do not leave Canada and seek to return by air.

If you plan to leave and then return to Canada by air, you will need to get an eTA.

Also Met15, I am praying for you. You will get your permit soon! :)

CanPGWP

Dec 2, 2015
I have applied for PGWP on April 30th and paid extra $100 at the same time and attached the receipt to my application. However, I'm still waiting for a response from CIC. I've contacted CIC call center a few times and received no clear answer from agents. Here is my timeline:

Applied: Aptil 30th
Blank Update: July 13th and July 23rd
PGWP Approval: Still waiting
Mail Delivery: -
Current Waiting time: 216 days!

Is there any other April applicant still waiting for approval?

guillecr

Star Member
Oct 14, 2015
CanPGWP said:
I have applied for PGWP on April 30th and paid extra $100 at the same time and attached the receipt to my application. However, I'm still waiting for a response from CIC. I've contacted CIC call center a few times and received no clear answer from agents. Here is my timeline:

Applied: Aptil 30th
Blank Update: July 13th and July 23rd
PGWP Approval: Still waiting
Mail Delivery: -
Current Waiting time: 216 days!

Is there any other April applicant still waiting for approval?

i applied en may 2nd....i went to my MP last week y i got the approval next day Nov 26th

mets15

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Stefanovic said:
Thanks Jubear and Mets15
I have also travelled to the US without a valid visa but with a study permit, everything went well. But now since Im not a student anymore and have a work permit, I just wanted to make sure, since I spoke to an agent today and he was like NO you cannot travel to the US because you do not have a valid visa and by air is a no-no.

Hence, just wanted to make sure.

Also I found this on the website - would it be applicable to me.

I already have a study or work permit, do I need to apply for an eTA?

Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. Read about the changes and how they may affect you.
If you are a student or foreign worker already in Canada on a valid study and work permit, you will not need an eTA as long as you do not leave Canada and seek to return by air.

If you plan to leave and then return to Canada by air, you will need to get an eTA.

Also Met15, I am praying for you. You will get your permit soon! :)
Thanks Stefanovic!! I could really use it haha. Yeah they tell you that when you call CIC and you will probably get a different answer from different agents. But you should be fine. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that either the new permits or TRVs are coming pre-done with the needed eTA.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mets15 said:
Thanks Jubear. Don't I need to first renew my passport? It expires in 2016, and then once I renew, only then can I extend the PGWP at the border (hopefully without a valid TRV so that I don't have to pay twice for it).. That's what I was wondering if it is possible. :/
Mets15,

Lets be clear about one thing. Getting a new passport now or later doesn't bare any significance to your current online application. If you qualify for a 3-year PGWP, the duration you will be given will be dependent on the duration/validity of your current passport that you submitted as a copy along with your application. As you mentioned, it expires in 2016.

You can renew your passport now as you wait for your current online PGWP application to be processed. Once you receive the PGWP that needs to be renewed and you already have a new passport, then you can reapply. That way you won't waste so much time.

What I'm saying now isn't any different from what I had said before. I hope I've cleared the confusion.

Cheers!

Batman4789

Star Member
Oct 25, 2015
Hi Friends,

Applied: May 15th, 2015
Blank Updates: every month
Request for $100: Nov 2nd
Approval: Nov 5th, 2015
Mail Delivery: November 12th, 2015

Submitted application for TRV: November 12th, 2015
Blank Updates: November 12th
Request for Passport: Nov 17th
Approval: Nov 24th
Mail Delivery: Dec 1st

I live in Windsor,ON. So if you guys have any doubt you can contact me

I will try my best to help you guys. cheer

mets15

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
jubear said:
Mets15,

Lets be clear about one thing. Getting a new passport now or later doesn't bare any significance to your current online application. If you qualify for a 3-year PGWP, the duration you will be given will be dependent on the duration/validity of your current passport that you submitted as a copy along with your application. As you mentioned, it expires in 2016.

You can renew your passport now as you wait for your current online PGWP application to be processed. Once you receive the PGWP that needs to be renewed and you already have a new passport, then you can reapply. That way you won't waste so much time.

What I'm saying now isn't any different from what I had said before. I hope I've cleared the confusion.

Cheers!
Oh okay, I see. Thanks Jubear!! I cannot renew my passport until Jan because it has to be within 1 year, plus I am hoping to travel to the US at least if I get the PGWP before Christmas. But it's looking bleak as of now :(. I guess I should not even think so far ahead, who knows how many more weeks before they give me the original freakin PGWP. This has been the worst experience ever for everyone who was delayed I am sure. Right before the holidays, it is the worst timing.

pgpgwp

Nov 17, 2015
My updated timeline:
Applied: May 16 Online
Paid : $155 on May 16th and $100 on June 10th through CSE (no request from CIC)
Blank Updates: May 17th, Jul 30th, Aug 7th plus 6 monthly messages saying no updates
Call Center Reminder to Case Officer : Oct 22nd
MP Contact : Oct 23rd & Nov 19th
Approval: Nov 26th (194 days)
Mail Received: Dec 2nd (200 days)